Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking for quite some time about the possibilities for a grid NOT using triangles, squares or hexes and came up with these five-sided spaces (all of the same kind), which are adjacent (at least with a half of a side) to different numbers of neighbouring spaces, thus offering between 2 and 7 ways for "pawns" to reach the next space.

Anybody knowing a game using something like this yet?

Any thematic ideas? Of course, this grid can be done infintely - or smaller.

Anybody who wants to "steal" this?

Edited for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, I'm not sure what I'd use it for yet, but very cool nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos Tiles are 5 sided, but not a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame?

(just a guess)

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Chaos Tiles are 5 sided, but not a board.

Hey, I own that! But it is using two different shapes ...

My first two ideas (last year) were:

1. "Golden Spike" - lay the whole thing "flat and try to build tracks along the lines and connect the two shorter sides of the board, as the train barons did in the mid-19th century. Scoring for this fast two-player game was dependent, if you need the opponent`s tracks for the connection or not, build cities, etc.
Nice, but somehow repetitive and - boring.

2. Tile-laying on an "open grid" with these forms. The tiles had different inside shapes combined of "land" and "sea". Two Players had to place tiles they took from a common pool and had to fit in/add correctly (a bit like Sunda to Sahul ), so at the end of the game a kind of island appeared - the different number of adjacent tiles made up the different scoring.
Again - boring. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

Well, Notre Dame uses a single 5-sided tile in the middle together with some very cleverly designed tiles forming different surroundings for a different numbers of players. The 5-sided tile is only used for a 5-player game ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very interesting Daniel. Thanks for posting. That could work some magic with various abstract games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
That is very interesting Daniel. Thanks for posting. That could work some magic with various abstract games.

Wouldn't a game such as The Gardens of the Alhambra or DaVinci's Challenge be similar to this kind of board. I know that Gardens uses more of a square mechanic, but a 7 sided system would be rather interesting.

I think something like Aquädukt would work, too, although the d20 might not be as useful (but the "canals and houses" would be cool).

I like the idea though - I think there is a lot of potential here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oosterwal
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me a lot of Cairo Tessellation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_tessellation), especially seeing the #4 tiles back-to-back in the top and bottom sides of your image.

Cairo tessellation was brought up in an earlier thread called "Why Use Hexes?" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/82338/page/2). I'm not completely sure how you would implement your pattern in a game. Obviously, if your game uses a board, you could lock in the pattern so that players aren't tempted to line up the diagonal side (side attached to two 45° corners) with one of the regular sides. In an unbounded tile placing game, like Carcassonne, it would be more difficult to prevent the odd tile placement. Also, how do you prevent players from attaching 4-tile octagons directly together and leaving an empty square at the corners? One way to prevent lining up the diagonal side with one of the regular sides would be to 'key' the diagonal (cut that side in an 'S' shape, for instance). This would prevent the first problem; I'm not sure how to prevent the second.

With all that said... ...the routes you show in red make for a very interesting map. I think any transportation game (think trains) that has been done with square, triangular, or hexagonal spaces before could benefit from your pattern. In this case 'benefit' means provide a new and interesting alternative to previous maps. I think it's interesting that with your pattern (assuming it's expanded infinitely), each tile would have either 5 routes or 7 routes depending on which location it's in rather than having a set number number of routes, like you get with the other three shapes mentioned earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calling it a diamond shape, consider that the long base side must connect with its match on another tile, whereas the shortest sides connect with other shortest sides or with other top sides in pairs.

Now then, what if these tiles formed rooms or landscapes, where there is a doorway/gateway/pass on every long base side, requiring the player to place them together, but the other sides have more or less gateways. You could have a way for players to build up a board randomly, but forced into the pattern as drawn by the connecting base side.

typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I stumbled across these cairo tiles, too.

Thanks for your remarks - I have to think and work on these points ...

As I mentioned, I tried a tile-laying process not totally "free" (without a board), but inside a "grid" and with further parts coloured and forced to fit (like carc / tantrix or Sunda to Sahul) ... But to modify the outline (S-shape) is another elegant idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCord
United States
Ionia
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3676
= Pentagons

BUT - I really dig your geometry, man.

I wonder why nobody's utilized Bucky Fuller's map projection for a boardgame. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_map
So much more realistic than the outragiously distorted Mercators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
At our game design group last week we played 2 games with different board set ups - one with diamonds and another a projection map. Both were very intersting concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:

If some of the tiles have seven neighbors and others have five, I don't see how it matters that they're all the same shape. It's the topology that's important, not the geometry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked on a game concept with Cairo tiles...not too bad but never really went anywhere.

What you should look at are 5-connection intersections:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
I worked on a game concept with Cairo tiles...not too bad but never really went anywhere.

That is very cool. Do you have any app to generate that pattern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
T Worthington wrote:

Yes. A simple L-system will draw such patterns and many others. I played about with L-systems a while back for a logistical game that I'm still fiddling with:

- Inkscape, L-Systems, SVG, Penrose and other tilings
- Shading dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
metzgerism wrote:

Travis & JC,

I considered altering my hex tiles into Cairos for a bit, then instead using this pattern but with square tiles...the corners of each tile are in the centers of the square sections on the grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nesci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like it is just the dual of the one posted before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rad80 wrote:
It looks like it is just the dual of the one posted before.
They are, but the distance between each of the intersections is identical, and the angles between each line are either 60 or 90 degrees. The picture was found off a Go variant site, so spacing was first priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:

Onyx uses this pattern, and it is one of the alternate boards for Abande².

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
duchamp wrote:

If some of the tiles have seven neighbors and others have five, I don't see how it matters that they're all the same shape. It's the topology that's important, not the geometry.

If you want to create a tile-placing game, it is useful to have tiles of equal shape and size.

If you take it as a grid for a map, you can of course create any topological grid you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
molnar wrote:
duchamp wrote:

If you want to create a tile-placing game, it is useful to have tiles of equal shape and size. ;)
They're all the same shape and size...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keythedral uses the octagon but you have to place squares between the octs. This version allows more freedom in that every tile is the same, but some tiles placed would give more benefit than others. You could do the whole abstract if it is completely enclosed score for who has their token on it of the majority, think GHENOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
molnar wrote:

If you want to create a tile-placing game, it is useful to have tiles of equal shape and size.

If you take it as a grid for a map, you can of course create any topological grid you want.

ah, yes. That answers my question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.