Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s true, they’ve taken the best aspects of a light wargame like Battle Lore and abstracted it into a dexterity game without sacrificing the theme, the tactics and the depth and oh my god the fun! Even the proverbial “terrain tiles” have survived, albeit in the new form of flipped-over, dead discs. What am I talking about? I’m talking about:

TAKTIKA

2 players
25 minutes
By Ian Cooper

Be forewarned – I might gush a little…

Out of the Box:

There is something extremely satisfying about the fact that the components are exactly perfect, emphasis on the qualifyer “exactly.” In a flicking game, the single most economical and elegant thing one can produce is the thing you will flick itself. But in this game, that’s all you need. No frivolous board, extra pieces, VP tokens, cards; nothing, just the discs and a brief instruction manual. This is so streamlined, in fact, that it is literally the meeting point of form and function, a perfect 1:1 ratio of what you absolutely need and the (single) component working to the full extent of that need. When you think about it, the only other “toy” that comes to mind in this respect is the standard deck of playing cards.

Now that I’ve ranted long enough about that, the quality is actually very good as well. Nice light/dark wooden discs with appropriate icons stickered to one side of them. The instructions are laminated. Honestly, the box leaves just a tad something to be desired, but, whom am I kidding, that’s like saying “it doesn’t come with a table top board to play on.” Whatever, I’m over it. Oh, and because it’s so compact, this game travels well, too.

- Components: perfect in my book…check

Fun-o-meter: 5/5

Rules:

The rules are simple and very intuitive. Each unit moves in its own way and attacks in its own way. For some people, six different ways of doing stuff might seem like a stretch on the brain (especially if they’re new to the hobby), but if you methodically explain the logic behind each of the unit’s functions, it becomes very clear how they work. In this way, the theme fits remarkably well, despite the low-tech nature of “flicking” games.

Infantry – Movement: flick one, 2x or flick two, 1x each. Attack: flick one into opponent, which bumps into another of your infantry, or flick one into another friendly infantry into your opponent.

Archers – Movement: flick two, 1x each or flick one, 1x. Attack: flick two, 1x each, within one disc’s space away from opponent without touching it.

Cavalry – Movement: flick one up to 3x. Attack: flick one, 1x, hard enough to knock your opponent off the table without touching any other pieces.

Miscellaneous – Except for casualties caused by cavalry, all “dead” pieces are flipped to the other side, becoming obstacles for the rest of the game. Except for the archers, the only time it’s okay to touch an opponents disc is if you meant to attack it, otherwise any unintentional touches ends your turn immediately. If you accidentally knock one of your pieces off, it goes back to the supply, waiting to be brought into play again. If you accidentally knock off an opponent, he gets to replace anywhere he chooses. First player to kill six opponent’s pieces wins.

That’s pretty much the whole game right there. Plus, with the imminence of expansions and “scenarios,” this game has a potentially long lasting shelf life. Replayability is high.

- Easy to learn…check
- Easy to teach…check

Ease of Play:

Look, it’s not rocket science here, folks. You just flick the little wooden discs across a table. “It’s ‘instant’ Taktika – just add smooth playing surface!” People who are addicted to coffee might not be very good at this game, but everyone else would probably find it curiously addictive in its own way. Does this suggest that this game appeals to our more primitive, base nature of hitting things with our hands? Perhaps. More research will need to be conducted on this subject. Regardless, however, because the theme is about war, I’m sure plenty of trash-talking is to be encouraged. “Flick you!”

- Can’t be made any easier to play, physically, at least…check

Weight/Length Ratio:

Strangely enough, my first instinct tells me that there is slightly more weight in the game than it takes to play. This is not a bad thing in the least. It just means that the game is extremely satisfying to play. You feel “full” (in a good way) after playing. Not the “I’ve just gorged myself on the greasiest bacon, cheddar cheeseburger” kind of full. No, that would be, like, Twilight Imperium or something. No, this is more like, “Man, that grilled chicken salad with light balsamic vinaigrette dressing was surprisingly filling” kind of full.

I believe the reason for this is because there is actual strategy/tactics to this little game, thus giving it a “big game” feel. Even though it all essentially comes down to who is better at “giving the finger,” one can really plan their moves and adapt according to their opponent. Setting up your pieces, obstacles, et al, make this game a rich experience. Playing “healthy” games is never a bad thing.

- Satisfies you like carbo-loading before running a 10K…double check

The “F” Factor:

Okay, so clearly I really like this game. I think it’s extremely fun to play. Like I said before, the theme fits like a glove to the mechanic. But the most amazing attributes of this game are the following – ponder these conundrums:

1) This game is both abstract AND themed
2) This game is modern (design & style) AND antiquated (medieval theme)
3) This game is a strategy/tactics game AND a dexterity “flicking” game
4) This game is travel size AND has an epic feel to it

It is all these things simultaneously, or not, depending on how you choose to see it through your own rosy-colored, gaming-biased glasses. That is an extraordinary feat. Nice job, Ian Cooper. I don’t know how you managed that, but it would seem you’ve left no potential target audience in the gaming community unaffected by covering those demographics.

Overall Score:

Priceless.

For everything else…well, it’s not Taktika.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review for a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont even care what you write: a thumb for the title alone. Oh and I totally dig this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
denverarch wrote:
I dont even care what you write: a thumb for the title alone. Oh and I totally dig this game!

Yup. If one could just buy it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it's out of print now! Aaaaaggghhhh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Moos
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
Yup. If one could just buy it...

Hmm...
- Travel to Austin, Texas.
- Convince Ian that you are not a serial killer.
-Meet up with him (he's a really nice guy) and buy one directly off his stock. I'm sure he has some more hidden somewhere.

At least that's how I did it. I'm not sure if it's the cheapest way though, haha. Of course it might be cheaper if you come over to Switzerland for some plays first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my eyes on this one a while. Looks great, too bad it is so har dto get hold of. One question though: How large playing area do you need? Our kitchen table is big, but it is divided into two parts and I guess the thin crack in the middle would mess this game up. Or?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a crack, that's a tactical moat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manfredini
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Check out Island Siege!
badge
Geekmail me for a Venture Forth promo!
mbmbmbmbmb
A little birdy told me that a shipment of Taktika has been sent out this week to Funagain games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never thought of suggesting that. I'm from Austin and didn't know who he was beforehand. In fact, I've probably gamed with him and never knew it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jason L. Garner
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The fact that the stock of the game is sold out is a good sign. As a game designer, that's what you want to happen, I assume. I will preorder this on thoughthammer so I can grab one when they become available. I truly like the simplicity of this concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matera
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. I made a video cast of this game too. It is simply wonderful.

I am glad you enjoy it as much as I do. I can't wait to see what else comes from this.

Take care

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Manfredini wrote:
A little birdy told me that a shipment of Taktika has been sent out this week to Funagain games.

Funagain = shipping rates too high for Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.