Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules clearly state this: "When placing a tile, the player must place it so that its fits with all other tiles already placed. Thus, water must be placed next to water and island next to island."

Keep this rule about illegal placement in mind as we look at the scoring example from the rulebook:

Notice the tile at the bottom left that is being removed from the board, where it says "incomplete islands removed before scoring." But is this position even possible to begin with? Surely the rule about illegal placement would mean that the position pictured in the scoring example (before the removal of the incomplete island) is impossible to begin with?

It's an important question, because there can be situations towards the end of a game where an opponent triggers the game end, and you might want to place a tile that quickly finishes one island, even though it means that water is placed adjacent to another incomplete island. The rules seem to clearly state this would not be legal, despite the scoring example suggesting something different? Am I right in concluding that the placement of tiles in the scoring example is illegal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm a mole man!
badge
I never let schooling interfere with my education...
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this problem with the scoring example in the rules as well. We have been playing assuming that the scoring example is showing an impossible position—the displayed tile being removed shouldn't have been allowed there in the first place. I have no idea if this correct, but it seems more in the spirit of the game and the earlier example on illegal plays seems very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Szunyoghy
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I will have to double check this in the German rules, but I am pretty sure that the scoring example is correct and the quoted tile placement rule is wrong.

The only rule you have to obey when placing your tiles is that the palms have to stay upright.

Note: the inappropriately placed tiles will be removed before scoring anyway.

Regards,
Zsolt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Szunyoghy
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I double checked this in the German rules and I was right.

This must be an error in the English rules.
szunyi wrote:
Hi,

I will have to double check this in the German rules, but I am pretty sure that the scoring example is correct and the quoted tile placement rule is wrong.

The only rule you have to obey when placing your tiles is that the palms have to stay upright.

Note: the inappropriately placed tiles will be removed before scoring anyway.

Regards,
Zsolt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, well RGG must have made this change on purpose, as they inserted a diagram with a big red cross through it! I suppose they didn't notice the issue in the scoring example.

If you play the game on yucata.de you can place tiles that don't have matching edges, which is further proof that this isn't in the german rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Vandling
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"He's no good to me dead."
mbmbmbmbmb
So for someone who has yet to play the game, which (the German or the English rule) do you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mb
Tim, I don't think it makes a huge difference -- as long as all the players are following the same rules, of course!

Generally I just follow the rules as written in my Rio Grande copy of the game, largely because it's easier to explain to new players; the idea that you can't place a tile in an "impossible" position is intuitive. (And of course if they check the rules they won't find them contradicting me!)

Playing the other way can add some tactical possibilities, but seems less thematic (you discovered an island that didn't really exist?) as well as less intuitive. But try both and see what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Vandling
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"He's no good to me dead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, Mark. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.