Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I want to do is: have a regular game-night where my friends and I play the same game, and each week it progresses somehow. It isn't the same as last week, or we are playing with a meta-game goal.
Examples would look like:
- Long Shot, continuing ownership and bankrolls each week. Play a 'season' or 'circuit' where in the end there is a winning owner(based on horse finishes, not bankroll.)
- MechWarrior, each week a different scenario which affects the next scenario. Track pilot advancement and give leaders options for directing the direction of their operation(a a basic level), which also might affect their pilots, supplies, and/or next scenario. (note: I might have Battletech, not Mechwarrior, I'd have to check, but I'm talking about the wargame not rpg.)

I am looking for more ideas. 'Ameritrash' doesn't really work well for this idea, at least I haven't been able to come up with anything. I don't want the progression aspect to simply be a 'best out of x' idea, i.e.: play Scrabble 5 times, have the most wins(*see conceptual exception below.) I would prefer not to have to buy anything or anything I don't already want, though suggestions may of course lead me to adding to my wants. laugh Nevermind, throw me any idea, maybe someone else will find it interesting even if I don't.

Here are some other games which I have ideas about how to do this with. Like I said, I am looking for more suggestions.
Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures - Do something similar to my Mechwarrior idea.
Munchkin - I could let players keep stuff between games and make a base level adder for the monsters, but this approaches the 'best out of' idea.
RoboRally - This borders on the 'best out of' idea, but I have many ideas for game-changing rules, such as a gradual build-up of armaments without having to stop for them, certain bots starting with certain armament set-ups, a gradually damageing environment(1 hit all robots each turn), stuff like that.
Strat-O-Matic Baseball* - This would be a 'best out of' idea, but we would play as a season. I don't think I'd have many takers for Strato out of my group of friends...

...that's all I got. Ideas? THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44 or Battlelore seems an obvious suggestion. In Battlelore's latest expansion, you can level up heroes through several games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Memoir '44 campaign booklet is designed for a series of battles where the progression is determined by the results of the previous fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've done seasons with Formula De'. Each player has 2 cars (a team) and we assigned points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... which carried over from session to session. After all the tracks were played, the one with the most points wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest that Doom: The Boardgame is pretty good for this, if you have the same 4 people each week. It may not fit specifically the type of game you're looking for, but for progressing once per week it's fairly solid.

At least, it's the best one that I've played. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a stable 4 people to actually run through a campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this the other day, it's a hybrid of star wars miniatures and the star wars RPG, titled Star Wars Miniatures: Campaign Edition.
http://www.atlantaswg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook seems to be ideal. Not only do your teams play in a league setup, but the individual players develop over time. They gain news skills, can get injured from one match to the next and can even die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dare I suggest Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition? It's very boardgamer-friendly, and after playing it I have no real desire to play Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie again. You could easily play a published adventure, or let a new person make up a series of encounters each week.

Similarly, Descent: The Road to Legend is a dungeon-crawling campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
Dare I suggest Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition? It's very boardgamer-friendly, and after playing it I have no real desire to play Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie again. You could easily play a published adventure, or let a new person make up a series of encounters each week.
Similarly, Descent: The Road to Legend is a dungeon-crawling campaign.

I am a roleplayer, GM even, and problems getting groups together for campaigns, finding similar interests in both genre and mechanics, spending the time building entire adventures, players who place rpg-ing at about the same priority, etc...this is what has stagnated my rpging to a standstill. This is why I'm going this route.

And my fantasy system of choice is Rolemaster2--so no, I'm not interested in D&D in general. The mini's are just a mini game, but for a full-fledged rpg it would drive me batty, but thanks for that suggestion!!

Though Decent sounds more like what I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow...."facinating"? thanks!! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadmart wrote:
We've done seasons with Formula De'. Each player has 2 cars (a team) and we assigned points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... which carried over from session to session. After all the tracks were played, the one with the most points wins.

I meant to include that in my list....thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Circus Maximus has a campaign game, where you manage your drivers, horses and chariots -- who can improve over time -- and also gamble on the results. It also includes things like the ability to sabotage another player's stable, and buy security on your own to prevent such occurrences. Always wanted to be able to do this, but can't get a group that's large and stable enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The BattleTech supplement Operation Flashpoint allows you to run a unit through a progressing campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations is tailor-made for this kind of campaign play. You may have to invent some team vs. team scenarios, if you want more competition rather than co-operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Alan. Battlestations is exactly what you're looking for, and our gaming group is going through the Battlestations: Galactic Civil War campaign, where how you do in one scenario can affect future scenarios in different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.