Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr [+] [View All]
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Scenario descriptions from designer Ken Dunn, as originally posted on ConsimWorld.

Posted on CSW 7 Oct 2009

Ken Dunn wrote:
Ok I thought I would post about the scenarios in the upcoming Expansion Pack. The pack itself has two scenarios designed with the SK 1 player in mind.

The first one "Where the Winter Lingers" is set in Lapland 1942 and has the Russian 5th and 6th Ski Brigade attacking in deep snow against elements of Gebirgsjager Division 6. We find the Germans defending a small grouping of buildings with a few squads trying to trade space for time as a force of Russians converge on them. The Germans with a limited amount of support weapons try to inflict enough damage on the Russians before they are overwhelmed by the superior number of squads.

The Russians on the other hand, lead by a 9-2 SMC and armed with minimal support weapons struggle through the deep snow and exhausting cold weather conditions. Movement is made difficult due to extreme fatigue limiting the ability to declare double time movement. To win they must exit but just as they get close and can see the exit locations a small force of German reinforcements enter.

Will they be enough to stop the remaining Russians or will they too finally be overwhelmed and the Russians able to exit for victory?

Posted on CSW 9 Oct 2009

Ken Dunn wrote:
So the next all infantry scenario that I will discuss S40 is titled "Enter the Young" by Pete Shelling.

The sceanrio takes place in the town of Merode, Germany in November of 1944. The tough troopers of Fallschrimjager Regiment 5, being parachutists in name only, but still dedicated fighters, hunkered down and after suffering the brunt of an artillery strike waited for the inevitable American assault.

The 2nd Battalion of the "Big Red One", the American 1st Infantry Division having recently slogged their way through the Death Factory of the Huertgen Forest were the troops asked to push forward into Merode. But they were tired while the Fallschrimjager were relatively fresh. As they fell back deeper into the town sucking the Americans in further. It was then that a group of Fallschrimjager attacked from the rear.

Can you as the Americans take the required buildings or will the German prevent you from taking those key points to deny the victory?

Posted on CSW 10 Oct 2009

Ken Dunn wrote:
So now we move forward to scenarios with Guns and Infantry in them. The first one is S34 designed by veteran playtester and good guy Buck Karpowitz titled "Contested Settlement". This scenario finds the Poles launching a copunterattack in the early morning of September 5th, 1939 in an attempt to take back some of the towns recently occupied by the recently formed Slovak army. The area was a disputed area between the two governments having people of both Slovak and Polish origin living there.

The Slovaks are well armed with machine guns and an 81mm Mortar but have poor officers while the Poles have a good officer corps but are sorely lacking in support weapons having only a 46mm Mortar themselves. The Poles have managed to flank the Slovak positions with a group of troops coming in on the flanks while the majority of the Polish troops fix the Slovak attention to the front.

Will you as the Slovak defender stave off the recapture of the towns building thus denying the Pole the victory or is 6 turns too long for you to hold out?

Posted on CSW 17 Oct 2009

Ken Dunn wrote:
Time for another scenario preview. We go now to scenario S 36 "Not So Disposed" This scenario is another SK 2 level offering. Here we find "Force X" composed of the 4th Ranger Battalion with Colonel William Darby leading it into the streets of the Sicilian coastal town of Gela where they find the 429th Italian Coastal battalion prepared to defend Italian soil.

And they were well prepared by their commanding officer Major Rubellino who, contrary to some expectations and hopes by the Americans, was not willing to simply give up. He and his men fought the tough and well trained Rangers for over 4 hours turning every house into a strongpoint.

The Italians are well armed with machine guns and Artillery pieces and have a goodly number of men but Darby's Rangers know what they are doing and are well supplied with weapons themselves. An interesting contrast in leadership with Darby represented as a 10-3 SMC and Rubellino represented by a 9-2 SMC.

Can you as the Americans take the town without sustaining too many losses or will the Italians prove surprisingly tough?

Posted on CSW 18 Oct 2009

Ken Dunn wrote:
Now we move to SK 3 style scenarios. The next offering is S37 titled "Converging Assaults" and is set in the town of Gela in Sicily July of 1943. The Rangers under Colonel Darby have secured the town after a surprisingly difficult fight with the Italians Coastal troops. In this scenario the Rangers are on the defensive still lead by the 10-3 Colonel Darby and armed with Bazookas and a 37mm Anti-Tank gun.

The attacking Axis forces consist of elements of Gruppo Mobile "E" and the Liverno Division coming at the town from different angles. Unfortunately the Italians could now coordinate there attacks well and so the infantry and the armor came in at different times. But at least the Italians attacked with more élan this time than their German counterparts would couldn't join the fight though they were expected to.

We find this time that the rangers are hard pressed to defend the town from the leading elements of the Liverno division, the remainder of which was destroyed by accurate naval shelling, and the captured French Renault tanks that the Italians used to launch their counterattack.

Can you as Colonel Darby hunt the tanks down and prevent the Italians from occupying the town, or will Italian honor be satisfied and the ancient seaport of Gela, center of the Sicilian invasion, be retaken by the Axis forces?

As an aside, this scenario and the previous scenario "Not so Disposed" can be linked together to form a "mini-campaign" game.

Posted on CSW 24 Oct 2009

Ken Dunn wrote:
The scenario preview is the scenario Cooks, Clerks, and Bazookas set in France, 1944. The scenario is designed by Chris Olden.

The Germans, alarmed at the rapid advance and capture of several bridges over the Rhone River by the Americans seek to stem the advance by attacking into the key town of Meximieux and dislodging the American hold. By committing the 11th Panzer Division, General Wiese also hoped to protect the eastern flank of the 19th Army which had been exposed by the American advance.

As the German infantry and armor force advanced on the town they bypassed stongpoints and attacked into the rear. The 45th Division was forced to use the reserve companies of the 179th Infantry Regiment as well as HQ personnel to man the lines. Things were desperate but as the Americans began to get a handle on the attack, bypassed units came to life and started to threaten the German withdrawal routes forcing the Germans to break off.

This scenario is an interesting action taking place on board r, an interesting city board. The Americans get a 57L AT gun as well as some tanks as reinforcements... including a 105mm Sherman. The Germans are using a mixed bag of infantry units and several Pz IVJ. The Americans also have the ability to place some hidden units to shore up their own mixed bag of infantry units.

Can you as the Germans take several key buildings in 7 turns or will the Americans hold out?

Posted on CSW 26 Oct 2009

Ken Dunn wrote:
So another scenario..."Across the Border" by Buck Karpowitz brings us another scenario on board r featuring the Poles and Slovaks.

This time the Slovaks attacked into the disputed border region between Poland and the newly created Slovakia around the Carpathian Mountains. The recon elements of the Slovak 2nd Infantry Division entered the Polish town of Tylicz with little fanfare and less opposition on Sept 3, 1939. But the Armored Cars had gotten ahead of the infantry support and so they parked in the center of town and waited for the dismounted cavalry to catch up.

However, soon the local Polish forces consisting of frontier troops, national guardsmen, policemen, and pissed off residents managed to organize an attack and damaged two of the Armored Cars. Given that this was more than the recon forces had bargained for, the Slovaks withdrew not to re-enter until the hostilities had ended as an occupying force.

The Polish defender has a few interesting ways to destroy or damage the Slovak Armored cars including MMG and ATRs, while the Slovak gets to use several of the mobile but lighted armed and armored OA vz 30

Can you as the desperate Poles fight off the Armored Cars, or will you as the Slovak keep your tenuous hold on the border town?

Posted on CSW 28 Oct 2009

Ken Dunn wrote:
Ok, the last scenario. N-463 by Chris Olden. Set in Seppois, France we find an SS Division augmented by some very large JgPz V attacking elements of the 9e Division d'Infanterie Coloniale and Combat Command 2, 1er Division Blindee. The SS Division was mainly made up of conscripted Russians and they were really only expected to hold ground taken as the German XIX Army attempted to cut off the Free French from the city of Belfort and their supply lines.

However, the pace of the leading units was so slow that the 30th SS was ordered to attack across the N-463.

The Russians of the 30th SS pushed the attack forward with some elan but the French troops not only kept them out of Seppois but they pushed them back north. A few days later the French breakthrough at the Belfort gap had been completed.

The JgPz and their 88LL guns are monsters. The French have their own armor, anti tank guns and bazookas. It is quite an entertaining combined arms scenario.

Can you as the French keep the Germans from controlling by firepower the city or will the Germans dominate the battlefield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sounds like a great scenario. Can't wait to hear more!

Did anyone else really like how this kit offers a full mix of scenarios that would normally "belong" to the other Starter Kits? Two infantry only scenarios (SK#1), then two with guns added (SK#2), and finally working into tanks for either one or both sides (SK#3).

It's like having a condensed, self-contained, super Starter Kit. You might not be able to explore each level of complexity as deeply with just eight scenarios, but will always have something at just the right complexity level when playing against new gamers.
;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zielinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to this, and the up coming historical module!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
newuser wrote:
It's like having a condensed, self-contained, super Starter Kit.

That's true, but I don't think that this Expansion Pack should be considered a replacement or substitute for the three original Starter Kits. These scenarios seem to be clearly aimed at experienced players and not at beginners who are trying to learn the system: the first scenario will probably have several SSRs to cover the effects of snow and fatigue, the fourth scenario marks the first appearance of a 10-3 leader in the ASLSK system, etc.

It sounds like serious stuff, for serious ASLSK players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't SK #3 also have roughly the same mix? I mean, AFAIK it included one infantry-only scenario much like how SK #2 included two infantry scenarios.

I really don't see the point, honestly. If you want to make it as an actual expansion then skip the dice, rules (though it's nice to have errata) and all the other bits you get in the original starters and sell it a bit cheaper as just a collection of boards and scenarios. Otherwise release it as a big, deluxe version of the regular starter kits. I think that a Complete Starter box with five scenarios each (and a few more boards) as appropriate to the individual boxes would be the best option.

As it is if you follow the order of #1-#2-#3-Expansion you increasingly end up with unnecessary components. It's nice that they decided to get around the complex dependencies that are a problem for the full game (and the necessary modules that are OOP) and provide a slow, gradual introduction, but a slightly faster introduction that doesn't leave you with a lot of waste?

This leaves this feeling like a bit of a mix between such an idea and what we already had with SK#3.

If they wanted to make an expansion, just make it an expansion that's dependent on owning the original(s), but don't saddle us with extra cost for things we don't really need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken dunn
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean here. Extra cost for what exactly? What don't you need? Assuming that you have some portion or all of the previous ASLSK and that you wanted the scenarios in this pack then you get 3 new boards, 8 new scenarios, required new charts for the new vehicles, updated and erraticized rules, counters to play the scenarios, and vehicle notes required. And of course if you have none of the previous kits, then you would need everything in the Expansion Pack.

Dice are not included so you aren't paying for those. Made the leap of faith that most gamers have some dice lying around. The Expansion pack comes with a wrap instead of a box to reduce the cost. (Boxes tend to be fairly expensive). So about the only thing you could argue that you don't need would be the rules and the IFT chart. But the IFT comes on the same page as other stuff you need and I would suggest (and I bet I would be supported by a lot of people) that the opportunity too update the rules is to good to pass up.

So we eliminated the dice as the only item you wouldn't need. And at about $27 + shipping pre-order price even if you did buy something you didn't need then it is only a very small portion of the total price in an effort to reduce the hit to the pocketbook.

We do make something dependant on all the previous packs. Each Operations magazine that comes out includes an ASLSK scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was mistaken then (I'm not sure how I thought it came with dice). I was under the impression that in order to make it stand-alone not only was there going to be another copy of the rules, but also a good amount of overlap with counters and charts. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Belgand wrote:
(I'm not sure how I thought it came with dice)

The game information on MMP's web site has conflicting information: dice are listed in the contents, but the description states that there are no dice included. The game's description here on BGG has now been updated to match what Ken said: no dice and no box.

If I recall correctly, the original plan for this Expansion Pack was that there would be no rulebook included. The decision to include a corrected rulebook (rather than just a list of errata) was made later. People who play ASLSK a lot will certainly appreciate having that updated rulebook, but if any future Expansion Packs are released beyond this one, my guess is that they will not come with a rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken dunn
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you mean by overlap. Are there going to be 4-6-7 German squads in the Expansion Pack? Yes. Have those squads been provided in the other Starter Kit packs? Yes. Is that overlap? I don't know. Can you ever have too many German 4-6-7s? Not if you own Red Barricades!

Humor aside, I do not view the counters as being overlaps. They are an integral piece of the component list and I can't leave them out. Then it would simply be a scenario bundle and that is the job of the Operations magazine offerings.

I'm also not certain, should we do additional Expansion Packs, that we wouldn't put the rules in. I doubt that once this Pack sells out (assuming again that it does so) that we would reprint it. So the updated rules need to be available somehow. Maybe they could go into reprints of SK 3 but I not sure how many times that will be reprinted. I'll most likely (I'd say bank on it) that the updated rules will go into the upcoming HASLSK module on Elst.

So is there overlap? Depends on your definition of overlap. Is it needed? If you define the above as overlap then yes it is to create a viable product that supports the rather diverse ASLSK community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
All eight of Ken's scenario descriptions from CSW have now been posted.

The Expansion Pack only needs about a hundred more pre-orders to make its pre-order goal. The inclusion of JgPz V's will surely push it over the top... no self-respecting ASLSK treadhead could possibly resist what is (in my opinion) the coolest tank of WWII. The turret-less JgPz V combined the Panther's speed and armor, the King Tiger's gun, and the Pz IV's target size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Humm
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that we've got a few minor nations scenarios in there with the Poles v Slovaks, but sad to hear no more for the British forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken dunn
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is simply a function of what the scenario designers felt like designing. I asked for scenarios from anyone who wanted to submit one and used what I got. Unfortunately none of them were British.

However, the good news of course is that the follow up module will cover the ground portion of the market garden assault, specifically the action of the 43rd Wessex Division in the town of Elst on "the island" between Nijmegen and Arnhem. These will be all British actions. This module is well underway in playtesting and should be ready for pre-order in 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm 3/4 Polish and 1/4 Slovak, so any ASLSK scenario bundle that includes two Polish/Slovak battles is one I gotta own. I just pre-ordered it.

Tim K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken dunn
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My half Scottish, half Irish, half Cherokee heritage thanks you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kendunn wrote:
My half Scottish, half Irish, half Cherokee heritage thanks you...

That's half too much (AFPh, Pinned and LR fire)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kenneally
Vietnam
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ken,

Could you give Reid Hutchison a heads up to what counters may come with this Expansion Kit. So he can maintain the Chapter N (Armory) pages?

Thanks for all that you are doing to continue to keep the Starter Kits going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kenneally
Vietnam
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ken,

Could you give Reid Hutchison a heads up to what counters may come with this Expansion Kit. So he can maintain the Chapter N (Armory) pages?

Thanks for all that you are doing to continue to keep the Starter Kits going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken dunn
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin

Reid has the units and I'm sure he will update the Armory pages when the module is released. I appreciate all his hard work with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kendunn wrote:
... I doubt that once this Pack sells out (assuming again that it does so) that we would reprint it. ...

ASLSK players and/or anyone looking to invest for a healthy retirement fund, please take note. If you were undecided then it's a good time to take the plunge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.