Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Introduction:
I like Talisman. It's dumb, simple, but it still very enjoyable. Yes, it can devolve into a complete trainwreck as players slowly ooze towards the finish line, but I still enjoy the game. I was excited when FFG announced an expansion so soon after their rerelease of the base game. After all, new adventure cards and characters couldn't be a bad thing.

Components:
The game comes with five new figures (The Reaper as well as four new characters: Dark Cultist, Knight, Merchant, and Sage), five character-size cards (again for the Reaper and new characters), 90 adventure cards, 26 spells, and 12 Warlock Quest cards.

The cards are of the same level of quality as the 4th Edition Revised components, so the high quality shouldn't be a surprise.

Rules:
The game adds two new rules: the Reaper and Warlock Quest cards. The Reaper allows for some added chaos. Whenever a player rolls a 1, the Reaper gets to take a turn. If the Reaper lands on a character, potentially bad stuff can occur, including outright elimination!

The Warlock Quest cards add 6 new quests. Instead of rolling for a quest on the Warlock's Cave, you now get to select which of the quests to complete. This means it is much more likely that you will instantly complete the quest. This definitely makes it a more viable path to a Talisman than it was before, but it may be a bit too easy.

The game also adds a ton of new Adventure cards, which add a lot of new encounters as well as trying to add more monsters that require craft to defeat. The base game was heavily skewed towards strength, so this is a much needed balance.

The new spell cards are great as well. Every one is better than the base game spells, which in all honesty were not very powerful. Too often the mage characters would be stuck with a crappy spell. Now it is much more likely that you will have a useful spell available.

As for the characters, they are all fairly balanced with the base game, but add some variety. The Dark Cultist is definitely the best of the bunch with the ability to gain a gift for every victory. The Knight has a somewhat accelerated starting position, but abilities are not as useful later in the game. The Merchant allows for a different type of playing by allowing for easy exchanges of any items. The Sage allows for some control over where you move as well as looking at the draw deck.

Thoughts:
Overall, I think this an excellent expansion. It adds new variety to the game and meshes perfectly without any added bulk or complexity. Definitely a must-buy for the hardcore Talisman fan who feels the base game could use some new life.

8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm a big ol' Talisman geek, so I'm right there with you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:
As for the characters, they are all fairly balanced with the base game, but add some variety. The Dark Cultist is definitely the best of the bunch with the ability to gain a gift for every victory. The Knight has a somewhat accelerated starting position, but abilities are not as useful later in the game. The Merchant allows for a different type of playing by allowing for easy exchanges of any items. The Sage allows for some control over where you move as well as looking at the draw deck.

Of course, YMMV, but my stats for Reaper chars so far:

Dark Cultist 11 games, 4 wins, 7 losses
Knight 11 games, 3 wins, 8 losses
Merchant 12 games, 4 wins, 8 losses
Sage 11 games, 5 wins, 6 losses

Sage has lost his last 3 games though, so he was 5-3 before the Dungeon was added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is a must buy. It meshes with the base similar to the first two Games Worshop expansions did back in the day without complicating matters. Also the Reaper is interesting in that while he doesn't always directly affect play, but the fact that he could has a herding affect of the players.

I'll never part his expansion out from the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is a must-buy, especially for Talisman fans. The reasons are not the reaper or whatever, but the fact that you get a whole new set of adventure cards and spells that you haven't seen a gadzillion times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A must-buy expansion for a mustn't-buy game?

I got my 3rd edition sets as a clearance line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

The Reaper Expansion only came with the 4th Edition.

Talisman is best with other players. Since you play most games solo that may be your issue with it.

IMO, the third edition was the weakest edition of all of them.

The Reaper is a great expansion. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinks that Gauntlet inspired it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GetFunkadelic wrote:
philmcd wrote:

The Reaper Expansion only came with the 4th Edition.

Talisman is best with other players. Since you play most games solo that may be your issue with it.

IMO, the third edition was the weakest edition of all of them.

The Reaper is a great expansion. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinks that Gauntlet inspired it.

Actually I got the 3rd edition before my sons flew the nest, and didn't need solo gaming.
I played 2nd edition over 20 years ago, and actually enjoyed it then. It was a breakthrough game for it's time. My problem with it is that it hasn't stood the test of time, being just roll and move.
However I have to admit I haven't played the expansion you talk of, but I assume the gameplay is still roll and move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so sure about the sound of "outright elimination"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you say that this expansion adds more playing time to the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
Would you say that this expansion adds more playing time to the base game?

Not really. I'd say the ability to choose what warlock quest to complete actually speeds the game up somewhat by eliminating the backtracking the basegame method often put you through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.