Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a little argument about Curses last night. I played a "lose a small item" curse on my dad, and he wanted to discard a small item from his hand to fulfill the curse instead of losing his good item. I told him the curse only affects cards he's played to the table, but we couldn't find that explicitly in the rule book. I could have sworn that was the case!

My argument was if he had to lose his footgear and had none, then the curse would have no effect even if he had footgear in his hand that he hadn't played yet. Thus, it would go the other way, that he could not discard something from his hand to fulfill a curse that affects what's on the table.

Who was right?

[We were actually playing Munchkin Booty, and only had those rules on hand, so perhaps the base Munchkin rules are more clearly worded.]

Let me reword the question: Can a cursed player choose to discard an item from his hand instead of an item on the table? That is, in order to save the item on the table that would otherwise be lost by the curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards in your hand don't count as Items. They only become Items once played to the table. So no, you can't discard a card from your hand to satisfy the Curse in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought :)

And I also just saw on the official Munchin FAQ:

Q. If you have to lose items, do you lose the ones from your hand, or just those on the table?
A. Always, always, only those on the table. Those are the only items you have; while they are in your hand, they're not carried items yet. If you are meant to lose cards from your hand, this will be specified.

So that's good enough for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Cards in your hand don't count as Items. They only become Items once played to the table. So no, you can't discard a card from your hand to satisfy the Curse in this case.

BUT: items in your hand, which your character can legally use, i.e. laying them out before him, can be laid out ANY TIME, so, in a way, yes you can. Because you could - if you have a legal item on your hand - play it (laying it out), and THEN DISCARD IT.

In the end, the owner of the game has the very last word. Ever. Or you could make houserules, if you want to, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
Progmode wrote:

BUT: items in your hand, which your character can legally use, i.e. laying them out before him, can be laid out ANY TIME, so, in a way, yes you can. Because you could - if you have a legal item on your hand - play it (laying it out), and THEN DISCARD IT.

A couple corrections:

1) You cannot play an item at any time. You may play items on your turn or immediately when you acquire it. You may not play new items if you are in combat.

2) You can play items you can't legally use by placing them down sideways on the table. You can still generally only have one Big item in play.

3) There are generally no interrupting actions in Munchkin (there are a few exceptions like Wishing Ring). For example, if you have an item in play and someone plays a curse that would effect it, you can't sell it to avoid losing it to the curse. In this case, I'd say the same is true. You must resolve the Curse using the current state of the game.

Engoduun wrote:
In the end, the owner of the game has the very last word. Ever. Or you could make houserules, if you want to, of course.

Of course, but the owner having the last word is not the same as making a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.