Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the greatest games that were designed primarily as two- or multi-player games, but which have a great solitaire version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get past the initial learning curve, Magic Realm is a really excellent solitaire game in the fantasy RPG vein, particularly when you allow the RealmSpeak computer program to handle the bookkeeping for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverton
Agricola
Le Havre

All great for solitaire and multi-player. All belong in any serious gamer's library anyway.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Fleet Battles has several fun and challenging solitaire scenarios, although it is mainly a 2 player and up game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play around with the games in this list. I think Stone Age has a very good solo variant.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40188

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My current favorite is Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm. I tend to prefer solo games where you have a demonstrable object or goal--as in, a tangible opponent to beat. The Race solo game does that.
Then there are coop games that you can play solo with *no* rules changes, of which my favorites are Warhammer Quest and Ghost Stories. Other games force you to play multiple hands of cards for solo play, which I prefer not having to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to go with Pandemic since Agricola has already been mentioned. I've gotten a few dozen plays solo out of it, and if it weren't for Agricola dethroning it as my go-to solo game, I'd probably still be playing it.

I will be again as soon as my copy of On The Brink arrives. Should be tomorrow, but FedEx tracking is useless...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the recommendations of Agricola, Le Havre, Race for the Galaxy, and Magic Realm. Magic Realm has a free computer version you could try out.

I would also recommend Arkham Horror.

I know you mentioned multiplayer games that are good solitaire, but I really like Bindle Rails and Pocket Civ. Both are print and play solitaire games.

For wargames I've found Commands & Colors: Ancients to be surprisingly good solitaire. I've heard the Great Battles of History series is good solitaire and I've got Chandragupta, but I haven't gotten it to the table. There are a lot of solitaire session reports for the Panzer Grenadier series and I'm planning on trying Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious is my favorite solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:
Pocket Civ. Both are print and play solitaire games.

thumbsup

And now that we're at it: Airborne in my Pocket is PnP, is designed for solo play and can be played multiplayer and is A LOT OF FUN to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories
Lord of the Rings

I tend to think most coops work better as solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror - This is my go to game for solitaire play. I love the setting, the play mechanics are perfect for solo play and it's puts up a nice challenge. I find that I can play a solo game anywhere from 45min - 120 min. The base game has so much to see that you can play the heck out of it and still not need any expansions either. Great game.

Runebound (Second Edition) - If you prefer more of fantasy themed games than this one is a great recommendation. You need to use either the doom track varient or Mr. Skeltor's solo variant (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/122763). This one doesn't get me quite as much as Arkham Horror, but it's still a super fun game to play.

Good Luck!

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think the opposite atleast in Pandemic, Arkham Horror, and A Touch of Evil's case. Its probably because I find it to be a hassle to go through all the general upkeep steps by myself. Even stuff like Agricola, is just to much for me to bother setting up. Anyway thats probably something to keep in mind when trying to find a good solitaire game, do you mind doing all the upkeep by yourself. That is one of the reasons I play Race for the Galaxy so much solitaire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.