Hide
19 Posts

Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: MECCG: The Balrog rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Davis
msg tools
Can anyone kindly tell me the price (USD) and demand for the MECCG: The Balrog set? It has been opened and I don't think I have both boxes anymore, but I have checked it against a checklist I found off the internet and everything seems to be there along with the grey border cards (in a binder for cards). All cards are in Near Mint/Mint condition and have never been played. A local card shop was going out of business six years ago and I picked up one of each box for $5-10 each. Had I known then that it was a rare set, I think I would have picked up more boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw 3 sets on Ebay, current high bid was $131. But talking to people on GCCG, 200+ is around the norm that people have paid for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A complete Set including the cardboard boxes and the rules booklet can get 200$ easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pay $150 for a mint set right now for a sure thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own one set, but wouldn´t pay that much money for a second or third set (which doesn´´t implies, that 150$ is a inflated price)

reminds me of a funny experience

I went to a Con abt. 3 or 4 years ago and somebody was trying to sell a Balrog set and I asked him about the price (I was already owning one set at that time) and he asked for 200 Euro - I ROFLed immediately and turned away. He was just trying to make money...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Kempf
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well 150$ wont make it nowadays. I bought half a year ago for 230$ and that was - in comparison - extremely cheap. Expect 300$+ ! I dont know whether the latest Council of Elrond decision about proxies in official tournaments will lower that price, but I dont think so (there are far more collectors out there than active (travelling) players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. When Balrog first came out, it was not amazingly popular, due to the different artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Berten
Germany
flag msg tools
Sorry to pull this thread back up, especially as this is my very first post on this great site (Yay!), but I stumbled over the thread, just as I thought about finally selling my very own balrog sets...

To be precise I own three of each of the two boxes. One of each is opened and I intend to keep those. The others are shrinkwrapped and so they are in quite a good condition ...

So my question is: Where would I sell those babies? I'm quite desperate searching for money and getting the most out of these might get me over the next month (damn student-life cool)... Ebay? BGG-Marketplace? Any other tips?

Thanks in advance, although I still find it a bit akward that this should be my very first post here. But as I spent an hour per day on this site anyway, I figured I might as well finally register for this occasion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Ray McBaconshire wrote:
Sorry to pull this thread back up, especially as this is my very first post on this great site (Yay!), but I stumbled over the thread, just as I thought about finally selling my very own balrog sets...

To be precise I own three of each of the two boxes. One of each is opened and I intend to keep those. The others are shrinkwrapped and so they are in quite a good condition ...

So my question is: Where would I sell those babies? I'm quite desperate searching for money and getting the most out of these might get me over the next month (damn student-life cool)... Ebay? BGG-Marketplace? Any other tips?

Thanks in advance, although I still find it a bit akward that this should be my very first post here. But as I spent an hour per day on this site anyway, I figured I might as well finally register for this occasion...

Congrats, former lurker in the shadows!! As Berners-Lee stated in his book 'Weaving the web', the Internet should be about interactivity and intercreativity, meaning all users should contribute a bit to it.
Hopefully we'll see your posts, pics, etc. soon, followed by your avatar. (I'm still creating mine, that's why I don't have one @ the moment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Ray McBaconshire wrote:

Seeing your flag, this event might be an option, no lack to potential buyers I bet:

http://www.lureofmeccg.org/

Don't know how close/far you are to that place though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, did you ever manage to sell those extra Balrog decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the Balrog by definition unique meaning only one player can play as it? It looks from the card list you can make a really nice solo deck with it where your Balrog bursts from the underworld to attack several sites above the ground, possibly even conquering one of the dwarf holds

It just too bad this isn't available for less then 400 dollars nowadays. I guess ill print the scans that came with gccg and proxy the whole 104 card set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can have Balrog deck vs Balrog deck games, but often they are won by the player who gets the Hog out first. Unlike Ringwraiths, Hog can be very useful in an active role, sadly, many people seems to prefer the Sissy Great Shadow Balrog cry .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/downloads/r_meba.pdf
I am curious, how much did the decks sell for? They haven't made an appearence on ebay for weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an expert on the Balrog set, but I think it came in three different sets (one for each Hog Mode), similar to what FFG's LCG Core Sets do (or Meccg Challenge decks). So all the Balrog cards that were from other sets (not original to Balrog) were grey-bordered reprints. I have a few of those from when I got into MELE, bought commons mostly from a guy in my town, he had extra copies of them, though some were from Balrog sets, hence the grey border.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were two decks: The Shadow-Deeps and The Balrog's Host, and yes sorry I didn't check if the reprints were in there. I found this:

http://ccg-tcg.narod.ru/Me/balrogshost.txt
http://ccg-tcg.narod.ru/Me/shadowdeeps.txt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infyra wrote:
There were two decks: The Shadow-Deeps and The Balrog's Host, and yes sorry I didn't check if the reprints were in there. I found this:

http://ccg-tcg.narod.ru/Me/balrogshost.txt
http://ccg-tcg.narod.ru/Me/shadowdeeps.txt

The reprinted (grey-bordered) cards are those in brackets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These lists have been typed in from the Balrog rulebook, but a few errors have crept in. As well as a few minor typos in the card names the Hazards in the Host list should also include:

Marsh Drake x2

It's also worth noting that 2 of the reprints are not grey bordered. 2 of the 4 Balrog Twilight cards are Black Borders, but have updated text from the original black border LE release (the same as the Twilight grey borders).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian roberts
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
If anyone is interested in the Balrog COMPLETE set I just put one up on ebay right now along with the rest of my 2500 cards from all sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.