Nicholas Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Barbed Wire states "At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Barbed Wire deals 1 damage to that player. 2revent the next 1 damage that would be dealt by Barbed Wire this turn."

It just seems odd somehow. Can I respond to an activated ability in order to prevent that damage? For some reason it just doesn't seem logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spamman5r
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I haven't played for a few years but back when I did (Urza block) you could respond to the damage going on the stack by paying 2 mana and then the 1 damage is considered the "next 1 damage", it's prevented.

I heard in later edition(s) the damage doesn't go on the stack or something so I guess that wouldn't work.

Wouldn't it make more sense to pay the 2 mana during your Untap phase and avoid the stack altogether?

At the beginning of your Upkeep the damage trigger goes on the stack. Then, both players have the opportunity to play spells and abilities. The Barbed Wire's controller can then activate the second ability and pay the 2 while the trigger is on the stack to prevent the damage when the trigger resolves.

No player gets priority during the untap step, so you couldn't pay for the ability then. The earliest time you'll get to play it is while the trigger's on the stack.

As far as damage on the stack is concerned, that change was for combat damage, which is resolved immediately at the beginning of the combat damage step

*Edited for nitpickyness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to pay the 2 mana during your Untap phase and avoid the stack altogether?
There are two problems with that suggestion.

d10-1 You can't play anything during any player's Untap Step. (It's just for untapping/phasing permanents)

d10-2 All spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities (other than mana abilities) go on the stack. Sure, you might not always be responding to something on the stack, but you'll always be using the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To further clarify because, you know, I play Magic and we beat everything to death, I believe at one time there may have been an untap *phase* in which you could use abilities and play instants, but now it's an untap *step*, and you don't get a chance to do anything there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.