Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This last order I placed, I really really really really wanted Battlelore. However, I thought better of it at the last second, after looking at the manual, and realized I would have to strip it down A LOT to play with my 'mentee' who is into mutant chronicles and heroscape.

...or convince my wife to play.

...or see if my group would want to play. The group doesn't appear to be in the Richard Borg fanclub, however.

Realizing that I probably wouldn't have anyone to play battlelore with, I decided not to order it. Don't get me wrong, I still want it. Someday, I will have it (queue Kevin Spacey in American Beauty. "Game I've always wanted. Now I have it. I RULE!").

What's the last game you wanted, but decided not to, because you didn't know who you would play it with...or am I insane at such a notion?

*A word of note about my 'mentee' and not being able to handle battlelore... he's in basic wargame training right now. I give him three months before he's playing heroscape with the advanced rules. But for now, it's training.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider my audience for wargames (I buy games that interest me, and hope that some day I'll get to play them. I'm patient).

I also don't consider my audience for games I love (e.g. Go, Scripts and Scribes). They Must Be Mine!

For Euros however, I know what my gaming group likes and dislikes and so I curb (note, curb, not tailor) my purchases to a great extent based on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i play the overwhelming majority of my games with my wife, so it's a definite consideration when buying-- if i don't think she'll like it, be it due to theme, rule complexity (this is mainly due to teaching, she can certainly understand and play complex games, she just does not like *learning* them...or maybe i'm just a horrible teacher), or other various factors.

sometimes though, there's a game i really want, and i get it anyway, and worry about getting her buy-in later (i really would like to get warhammer: invasion!)

a side note to your story- my wife REALLY likes battlelore, and regularly beats me in it. for some reason, she's got my number when it comes to that game. she says i overthink things. i think she's using mind tricks on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nesci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to at least ask myself the question every time I consider buying a game now. I had to learn the herd way: I got a lot of games that I really like but never see the light on the table and now I just consider how often the game is likely to be played with the people I usually spend time with.
Unfortunately the answer is usually "too few" soblue

Unfortunately I don't enjoy playing "solo games" much and even if I did I noticed that it exacerbates the problem of winning most games (thus putting my friends off from playing with me) since I'd get more practice with the system. And having a game I'd love to play on the shelf is just more painful than not having it in the first place... cry

Maybe some day I'll find a group of gamers I can play all my too-heavy games with. (BTW, anybody living in the Geneva area?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely consider my audience. 90% of the time my potential audience is my wife and 7 year old son, and potentially my inlaws or parents. So a six hour very aggressive very deep game will go over like a led zeppelin. Medium complexity, co-op or not too directly or offensively aggressive, and 45 min to 2 hours are my first key factors.

I don't game with a game group all that often, and when I do, someone else has got the longer, deeper, more complex games that I and they enjoy.
I would love to buy only games I love - but what good's a game that isn't played?

I don't mind solo games, I've played Arkham horror a bunch of times solo, but it's not the same as playing with someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Ingalls
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just placed an order for my birthday. This is at the top of my list because I want to make a step up from TTR. But with 95% of my gaming being 2-player games with my wife, this wouldn't make it to the table much unless I could afford buying extra maps, which I can't.

Besides that I do consider the audience when buying games, but I don't always decide based on it. If that was the only consideration I would own a lot more party games, because that's what most the people I know think of when I say, "I like to play games."

"Really. Have you ever played Apples to Apples?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's mostly based on number of players. I don't buy as many 2-player games as I would like, because my regular gaming group is usually 3 , sometimes more. And I can't get my wife to play any boardgame, so that's out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
I definitely consider my audience. 90% of the time my potential audience is my wife and 7 year old son, and potentially my inlaws or parents. So a six hour very aggressive very deep game will go over like a led zeppelin. Medium complexity, co-op or not too directly or offensively aggressive, and 45 min to 2 hours are my first key factors.

I don't game with a game group all that often, and when I do, someone else has got the longer, deeper, more complex games that I and they enjoy.
I would love to buy only games I love - but what good's a game that isn't played?

I don't mind solo games, I've played Arkham horror a bunch of times solo, but it's not the same as playing with someone.

My situation is similar to Tony's. My non-gaming husband and 8-year old daughter are my "audience" and since we don't have an abundance of funds to purchase games, I stress over the few purchases I do make. I want to make sure they will like the game, otherwise they (and I won't) play it!!

My husband is very picky, smart, and hard to entice to play. The game really needs to hook him and he also "figures out" games that have 1 best strategy or solution--so those type of games as well as all abstracts are out. Once he figures out the best way to win and does so, he refuses to play again!!

If I bought games for myself, I'd buy everything I could within my budget, but then the boxes would sit beautifully unplayed in my closet!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpseasia wrote:
I just placed an order for my birthday. This is at the top of my list because I want to make a step up from TTR. But with 95% of my gaming being 2-player games with my wife, this wouldn't make it to the table much unless I could afford buying extra maps, which I can't.

Besides that I do consider the audience when buying games, but I don't always decide based on it. If that was the only consideration I would own a lot more party games, because that's what most the people I know think of when I say, "I like to play games."

So what did you order Clayton?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpseasia wrote:

Print out the Scotland map
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46330

Cost me about $5 to have it printed and laminated at Kinkos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never consider my audience when I buy a game. I buy what I want. Happily, I have enough people around me who like to play the same kinds of games as I like that it's never been a problem. I do have plenty of unplayed games, but that's just because I keep buying them faster than I can get them to the table....thanks to some dumb website where I keep reading about great new games... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bailey Glen
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are new to the scene and have just started putting together a collection. Together, we tend to play under 3 different circumstances

1) The two of us
2) Local gamers with very large game collections
3) Our personal friends who are new to gaming

So when I buy games, 90% of the time I end up purchasing gateway games as if we are playing a game I own we are playing with new players. Personally I prefer heavier games (my "gateway" experience was Agricola). So yes, the majority of the time my audience is the primary consideration when I purchase a game. I believe after I have a decent library of gateway games this will change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I haven't bought due to my "audience":

Descent
Space Hulk
Successors (3d ed.)
A Game of Thrones
AGoT LCG
Twilight Imperium

Althought, considering the size of some of those boxes, I'm not sure where I would have put them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been pretty reckless about this in the past. I felt like I was willing to have a game on my shelf for a long time if no one I currently game with wants to play. Dune is one example of a game that I hope to play once a year.I wonder if I will have this luxury if I move in with my girlfriend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Mackler
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I consider my audience a ton, because like others have said, what's the use of buying a game if we don't get to play!? I enjoy playing a game way more than one I don't. I agree w/ previous posts too about all the games I'd love to play if I had the audience for it. I'm excited though: my wife has loved race for the galaxy, agricola and Puerto Rico so who knows where the "I've gone too far" line is. I haven't found it, yet, although TI3 might be pushing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Koenemann
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is becoming a larger consideration for me. I have some games that I just won't buy at this time because I don't think I can get someone to play with me. I'm looking to trade Reef Encounter, for the reason that I have only played it 3 times, and now that I am between groups, I may never be able to play it again. So I am looking for games that have a higher chance to get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Ingalls
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
jpseasia wrote:

So what did you order Clayton?

I ended up ordering

Arkham Horror
Medici vs Strozzi
Galaxy Trucker
1960: Making of a President
Jambo
Ghost Stories

I'm also getting Carcassonne and Power Grid as presents apparently. I would have gotten one more, but being in Hawaii means I've got to pay full shipping costs no matter how much I spend. That's the price for living in paradise.blush(that's me getting sunburned)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Ingalls
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
Games I haven't bought due to my "audience":

Descent
Space Hulk
Successors (3d ed.)
A Game of Thrones
AGoT LCG
Twilight Imperium

Althought, considering the size of some of those boxes, I'm not sure where I would have put them anyway.

I understand that Space Hulk is great, but that goes on my list of "Games I Won't Buy Because I Can Buy A Bushel of Games For What It Costs" list. I'm sure I'm not alone on that one. Amazing board and pieces from what I've seen though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even bother looking at games without a 2 player option, because of my audience. I've had a copy of Perikles sitting here for oh, 4 years or something. I put of the TI3 purchase for several years because it isn't really a 2 player. Once I heard about a 2 player variant, I was all over it though.

So I'd say I always keep my audience in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More and more I find myself considering audiance in terms of "will I ever actually get to play this more than once, or even once" when I order games.

For instance, I'd like to play Android (I love sci-fi games), but the playtime is just way too long for what we usually play on our weekly game nights. One exception has been Battlestar Galactica. We play that probably once a month or so and that can go fairly long. However, nearly everyone in our game group enjoys that game.

Anyway, if I purchase Android, I doubt it would ever come out.

Essentially I look at it as, how much money am I spending for what amount of entertainment. If I buy a $40 computer game and get 50 hours of entertainment from that, thats more than 1 hour per dollar spent. If I buy a game like Android for $40 and don't get to play it, I consider that pretty much wasted. If I only play it once, thats $40 for 3 hours of entertainment.

Now some games if I want to just kinda "collect" them because they are limited or because I intend to resale, thats differant. But I generally don't do that anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
broggi wrote:
I can't get my wife to play any boardgame, so that's out.

cry I'm so sorry.

I'm lucky enough to have a wife that humors me. Luckily she's developed a taste for some games over the last few years. Her favorites are Power Grid, the Traders of Genoa, Container, and Acquire.

As for the OP question at hand, I'm initially attracted to a game based on my personal tastes. However, I do co-run a game night which typically runs about 12 people each with varying degrees of interest and skill levels.

This causes me to consider the people who attend when purchasing games. Certain games, particularly two player games, I usually buy with either my wife or my GM buddy in mind.

When the sexy siren's calling out to me, its my gaming group that keeps me from turning into a horny toad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend not to think of the intended "audience" singular but instead audiences plural. And I'm fortunate to have a couple:
My wife -- must be rather light and playable with two people. (see: Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Coloretto, etc.)
The "in law" games -- a recent growth in my humble collection (see: Bohnanza, Coloretto, No Thanks!, etc.)
My family -- they allow me to creep a bit on complexity (see: TTR again, Mystery of the Abbey, Shadows Over Camelot, Galaxy Trucker, etc.)
My gaming friends -- the most fortunate addition, I've been able to meet and reconnect with wonderful fellow gamers. This allows... Power Grid, Puerto Rico, and I'm sure eventually Shogun, Steam, etc.

If I take a look at my collection, most choices I make consist of filling slots that intersect 1) number of players, 2) type of audience, and 3) new mechanics. (i.e. "light auction game for family, 2-4 players" or "heavy territory game for fellow gamer friends, up to six players.") I won't buy a game unless I can imagine playing it soon with others, and I definitely have people in mind when I choose my purchases. I still feel, though, that this gives me plenty of flexibility, and it's all about sharing time with people anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the SF Bay Area, we have several gaming clubs and game conventions, so I don't worry if I don't *yet* have an audience for a game.

What are the game clubs and game conventions in your area like? Have you tried Meetup.com?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I decide what games I'm interested in first. Then I go find people to play them with. If I can't find anyone, then I go make players who like to play the games I'm interested in, then I play those games with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, I haven't appreciated how lucky I am.

It can sometimes be difficult to get some games to the table. But between gaming friends, game conventions, gaming groups -- and I haven't really begun to connect to the local game groups -- I buy what I want, and then figure out how to get it played. I may not get to play it regularly, but anyone with a sizeable collection doesn't expect to play too many of her games every week. But somehow, I'll make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.