Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
ALL ACCESS - ALL THE TIME - DON'T EVEN ASK
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG's,

Anyone know when Thought Hammer went to a NO PHONE policy?

Used to order there a couple large orders a year (mostly over phone), now they tell me that they no longer accept orders via phone, and you can't even talk to a live person there; you just get a email back from a voice message.
Made my ordering a bit more of a pain this year end, as I had to chase more "deals" elsewhere. I don't like dealing with a company that I can't get a hold of a live person.
Just curious, as as long as this holds they're off my vendor list.

Light, love and laughter to you all,
Orion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dennis,

I've now scouted around some more too, (as I'd been a fairly loyal TH customer for several years, at least for major orders) and now I find prices much better at other places as well.
I'll check Boards & Bits out...
I did note that Time Well Spent Games had lower prices than Thought Hammer (by a fair margin on some items) AND had most everything I wanted (AND a phone voice number too boot!).

Light, love and laughter to you and yours,
Orion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Ive always been able to get a hold of someone at Cool Stuff Inc. Their prices are good and they have a reward program that is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never noticed that policy but then again I never had a reason to contact other than email. They return an email inquiry very fast and that's all I am concerned about. If they didn't returns on a timely basis I suppose looking for a phone number would be next but they (Carrie) are great on the returns that being within 24hrs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionDD wrote:
and now I find prices much better at other places as well.
I'll check Boards & Bits out...

Yeah, ever since Thoughthammer started reducing discount on games from about 35% to 30% or less (in effect, raising prices), I've ordered elsewhere. Prior to that they were my favorite site to order from, especially with the free shipping after $100 or $150.

Now its boards & bits thats become my new favorite. They have great service, and fast & fair priced shipping, and great pricing too.

Slabcity wrote:
I have never noticed that policy but then again I never had a reason to contact other than email. They return an email inquiry very fast and that's all I am concerned about.

Well some people prefer phone orders (like they may not want to give credit card over the internet for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal

Michigan
msg tools
mb
Hmm. I've never liked ordering from a place that I can only reach via email. Call me crazy, but being able to reach a person over the phone is important to me.

I have noticed that their prices have been on the rise. I too used to look there first for my games. Now I go to Boards and Bits. I've talked with Tom at B&B several times over the phone, and he's always been very helpful.

A pity about TH.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this is just my opinion, but I thought I'd offer a dissenting voice. I've ordered from TH many times and taken full advantage of their great customer service, but I've never talked to them on the phone. This won't really change my dealings with them at all.

Just my 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I was preparing a big order today and I compared the prices and selection of Thoughthammer, boards and bits and boulder games. Boards and bits was consistently the least expensive, however many of their games were out of stock. Basically, it doesn't matter to me if you are cheaper if you can't actually sell me the games at those prices.

As for the phone issue, I don't think I ever even knew that they offered phone support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slabcity wrote:
I have never noticed that policy but then again I never had a reason to contact other than email. They return an email inquiry very fast and that's all I am concerned about. If they didn't returns on a timely basis I suppose looking for a phone number would be next but they (Carrie) are great on the returns that being within 24hrs.

I agree,
Carrie is great at correspondence and very timely, it's more that I could ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
I was preparing a big order today and I compared the prices and selection of Thoughthammer, boards and bits and boulder games. Boards and bits was consistently the least expensive, however many of their games were out of stock. Basically, it doesn't matter to me if you are cheaper if you can't actually sell me the games at those prices.

As for the phone issue, I don't think I ever even knew that they offered phone support.

I've been saying for a while that TH's prices were fairly terrible and I never understood the love affair for them that people had here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from TH quite a few times and always had a good experience. However, I did recently notice that their prices are not competitive and made last 5+ orders from somewhere else.

Aside from the price issues, a store can support customers perfectly well with only emails. I would actually prefer a company that has prompt email responses to a company that forces me to call in order to get a quick answer.

In the end, if a company decides to ignore customers altogether, they can do it with either phone or email.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There always seems to be a live person at my FLGS.

You get what you pay for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionDD wrote:
Hello BGG's,

Anyone know when Thought Hammer went to a NO PHONE policy?

Used to order there a couple large orders a year (mostly over phone), now they tell me that they no longer accept orders via phone, and you can't even talk to a live person there; you just get a email back from a voice message.
Made my ordering a bit more of a pain this year end, as I had to chase more "deals" elsewhere. I don't like dealing with a company that I can't get a hold of a live person.
Just curious, as as long as this holds they're off my vendor list.

Light, love and laughter to you all,
Orion

Orion,

Why don't you try to combine orders with others in the LCSG or CAWS? It helps to get the free shipping. I suggest Coolstuffinc.com for online ordering. Their prices and selection are excellent across the board and their rewards program is a nice treat as well.

You could always ask Here Be Books about doing your order, I believe they might try to come close on price. Ask Tina what their policy is on that, but I remember reading in thier flyer that they might do price matching on large orders.

So what are you ordering anyways?

Cheers,
Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Swan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughthammer is a huge supporter of BGG.CON and so even if their prices are not the lowest all the time they have my business. If you've ever seen the stuff they give away at the con you would understand. Long live Thoughthammer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give a second shout out for Cool Stuff. Their prices are good and I've always been satisfied with their service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:

That must be it.

The robots that TH built as part of their devious plot to eliminate humans workers in the boardgame retail business have achieved sentience, enslaved (and possibly killed) the owners and employees, and have unplugged the phone since the gig would be up when they answered with their robot voices.

Or maybe they finally got tired of digruntled FLGS owners calling up at 2 am and breathing heavily in the phone while mumbling 'I'm touching it'.

I suppose there could be other reasons, but these are the logical choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Keith and all,

Yes, Tim and Tina have always done me right, but I really hate paying Uncle State on big orders.
Also, seems like TH isn't sweating it at all, as my second email went un-answered. It does seem that the prices are not nearly as good as they used to be, wonder why. They always had good service in the past, but no-talk, and now no-show, puts my business else where.
BTW Keith, it was about $400 of various things, many expansions for somewhat later, but somewhat of a pain to find ever thing else where. Tina could get them all, so I went there. No real "Wargames", as most that comes direct from GMT anymore, or picked up off eBay.

Light, love and laughter to you and yours,
Orion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:

Yeah, but there always seems to be over-priced games at my FLGS, too. You pay for what you get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just a quick thought from a quasi-lawyer's perspective...

Many companies do not take orders over the phone due to legal concerns. When you require an order to be placed online or in some other 'written' fashion, there is a paper trail of sorts that precludes many possible issues from arising in the future.

I'm not necessarily saying that is what's going on here, but there are very valid reasons for not wanting to take orders over the phone.

And knowing Alfredo personally, I would be utterly shocked to ever hear of negative customer service issues with Thoughthammer. True, it is nice to be able to talk to a real person and place an order that way, but they may have a reason for not doing so any more, and that doesn't mean they no longer deserve the benefit of a doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Many companies do not take orders over the phone due to legal concerns. When you require an order to be placed online or in some other 'written' fashion, there is a paper trail of sorts that precludes many possible issues from arising in the future.

Judging from the unabated deluge of television infomercials, all begging me to "Call now" and buy massive quantities of the useless junk being peddled, I'm pretty sure any legal problems are not that grave of a concern.

Maybe it's a cost cutting measure.

Quote:

True, it is nice to be able to talk to a real person and place an order that way, but they may have a reason for not doing so any more, and that doesn't mean they no longer deserve the benefit of a doubt.

Yeah, it would be nice if a TH representative could post on the topic and shed insight on the reasons for the change. It may be a reason none of us have even considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy everything at my friends store for 30% of no shipping, and he carries the tax as a favor. good for him

But, when I dont feel liek bothering him I go to TH because i am use to them. I also like cardhaus for some of their extreme sales. Easy to get phone. TH is still my first choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie Gray
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello All!

As most of you know, here at Thought Hammer we have just celebrated our 5th anniversary. We would like to give our sincere thanks to all of our returning and faithful customers, as well as all of you new gamers that are just hopping on board with us. Your business with us is greatly valued and always appreciated!

It has recently been brought to our attention that there seems to be some confusion about our past and present ordering policies here at Thought Hammer. We are more than happy to clarify this, once and for all.

In the 5 years that TH has been in business, at no time have we ever offered the option for customers to place orders with us via telephone. Our website has been, and remains to be, the only route by which customers may place their order. We regret any confusion, and we do hope this information helps to clear up any remaining questions in regards to this matter.

Thank you, once more, for all of your business and support. Here is hoping all of you are having a glorious, game-filled fall season!! = )

Carrie
Thought Hammer Customer Service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had to cancel an order with TH. I emailed them and they responded within a couple of hours. The order was canceled without hassle within a few more hours. It was a pleasant experience. I wouldn't hesitate to order again.

Thanks Thought Hammer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.