Popular Tags: [View All]
Merudo
United States
Asheville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I'm considering this game but I have a question for you.

While playing, why should a player try to keep his or her identity hidden?

It seems to me that there are very few advantages about keeping a secret identity:

The Vampire, the Werewolf and Emi probably want to reveal as soon as possible so they can take advantage of their abilities.

All neutrals, except Daniel, want to reveal as soon as possible, as there is almost no reason to attack a neutral character.

As soon as a fight between a hunter and a shadow occurs, all hunters and shadows characters want to support their respective side, revealing their identity in the process.

As such, I'm unsure what is the point of the "hidden roles" mechanic. It doesn't seem to add anything to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neutrals want to stay hidden so that others don't know their victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August T
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since characters have 8-14 HPs, concentrated attacks from 2-3 opposing faction players plus neutral ones (if it helps their objectives) can quickly kill 1 character (e.g. within 1 round). You don't usually want to reveal early because of this. Even if you are the werewolf, there are other non-attack damaging moves.

Neutral also usually don't want to be known since if someone can't reach his opponents, he may just attack neutrals if they may help the enemies later or win by themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revealing early will tend to get all of your foes concentrating on you, which can get you killed really fast.

However, special abilities can be very strong - you don't want to hang on to your secret until the bitter end either.

If Bob is revealed and getting close to his victory condition, people will kill him. Sometimes ditto with Charles. Daniel obviously doesn't want to reveal, and Allie...well, she's problematic and almost never loses, but that's a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The identity aspect will help those weaker than those who are stronger. The Werewolf will probably want to reveal early on since his ability is stronger the more times he's attacked. Whoever does attack him though will reveal themselves as a hunter most likely.

The Vampire is not as strong as everybody thinks. True, healing yourself is valuable in this game, but his ability only happens on his turn. The Werewolf might be able to counter-attack several times before he gets a turn, but the Vampire only is able to use it on his turn. The Vampire is easily killed in larger games, but he is better off when there is less players; so that he gets more turns, therefore more healing.

Emi also has another ability that is better the more you use it. The thing though is that her health points are very low at 10, so she can be easily killed.

As for Daniel, there's an interesting mechanic with him. He can actually reveal himself early. By doing so, people will be less inclined to attack him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark N
United States
California
flag msg tools
Revelade wrote:
The identity aspect will help those weaker than those who are stronger. The Werewolf will probably want to reveal early on since his ability is stronger the more times he's attacked. Whoever does attack him though will reveal themselves as a hunter most likely.

The Vampire is not as strong as everybody thinks. True, healing yourself is valuable in this game, but his ability only happens on his turn. The Werewolf might be able to counter-attack several times before he gets a turn, but the Vampire only is able to use it on his turn. The Vampire is easily killed in larger games, but he is better off when there is less players; so that he gets more turns, therefore more healing.

Emi also has another ability that is better the more you use it. The thing though is that her health points are very low at 10, so she can be easily killed.

As for Daniel, there's an interesting mechanic with him. He can actually reveal himself early. By doing so, people will be less inclined to attack him.

Actually that's incorrect: according to the full manual with the game, Daniel is not allowed to reveal for any other reason than the first person dying. Presumably because his ability would be useless, or so he wouldn't be able to give too much information to a particular team, he could be the unknown, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you are right, I never saw that one. Okay, well, I guess Daniel's a bit more limited now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merudo wrote:

I'm considering this game but I have a question for you.

While playing, why should a player try to keep his or her identity hidden?

It seems to me that there are very few advantages about keeping a secret identity:

The Vampire, the Werewolf and Emi probably want to reveal as soon as possible so they can take advantage of their abilities.

All neutrals, except Daniel, want to reveal as soon as possible, as there is almost no reason to attack a neutral character.

As soon as a fight between a hunter and a shadow occurs, all hunters and shadows characters want to support their respective side, revealing their identity in the process.

As such, I'm unsure what is the point of the "hidden roles" mechanic. It doesn't seem to add anything to the game.

It's very important. Werewolf can't reveal too early especially in a 7,8 players' game. Every hunter has one specific target to attack in waiting for the rest to surface. That's way too easy for hunters. Vampires can heal, but only through his own attacks, that's to say once per turn. There might be three attacks from hunters before you can try to heal a little bit. Early reveal, early target, which is usually not a wise thing to do. Shadows and hunters have a lot of reasons to attack neutrals, all depending on the situations and neutral's objectives. Some neutrals take sides, so the other side have to eliminate them as soon as possible; some have their own objectives, if they complete them before the end war between shadows and hunters, both shadows and hunters lose, so neutrals could be a threat to both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gould
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I've always found that the Vampire revealing early and attacking known Hunters to be a decent strategy. He can absorb Lightning (Franklin's ability) and Demolish (George's ability), which are pretty harmful to the Werewolf, then focus on healing and obtaining the Cursed Sword Masamune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.