Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Joshua Wright
United States
Clawson
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at Dragoncon '09 this year and saw two older gentleman playing a strange looking strategy game. I stopped and asked them what they were playing and their reply was "Advanced Squad Leader." I had heard about ASL through the grapevine from my very very limited wargame experience and seeing it in action made me drool almost immediately. Are there any active players in the Southeast Michigan area? I can get a few of my friends to play Axis and Allies and a few other board games but I'm guessing that NO ONE will touch a wargame as in depth sounding as this. I'm in Clawson and don't think that I'd enjoy playing online very much, at least at first. I much prefer talking to my opponent and laughing with each other when stuff gets crazy. Anyone around my area that might be willing to show a total newbie what this game is all about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm nowhere near there, BUT you may look at doing it with VASL http://www.vasl.org/ and skype. Pretty close to being there, without the gamer breath.

Also, many new players get into the Starter Kits (SKs). Others can advise you on that, but it's a consideration. Full blown ASL is better, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes. ASL/SKs are put out by MMP. http://www.multimanpublishing.com/index1.php

Finally, there are some discussions about ASL on Gamesquad. http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30 Some of the posters are wacky, argumentative, etc, but LOADS of good info there.

Welcome to the borg. This is the best game ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wright
United States
Clawson
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I hopped into the Starter Kit thread over at the gamesquad site and just read through a few rules clarification questions and my eyes almost exploded at these paragraphs of rules. Does the flow of the game get to be second nature after awhile or is this something where you'll be always breaking out the rulebook every session?

Edit: To clarify, I understand that this is a rule heavy game and that the rulebook will be necessary more often that not, what I'm asking about is more the phases that happen in each turn. Is the course of action fairly static on each player's phase or are there tons of exceptions depending on what each player is doing/did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get the hang of it it's easy, and yes, it does start to flow.

I've played against people who know every chart by heart and never have to look up anything. But that's just madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Rules discussions probably make the game appear more complicated than it really is. The game plays smoothly once you get past the hurdle of learning the rules and the specialized terminology that the rules use (acronyms like CX, FFNAM, FFMO, etc.).

Locating an ASL player in your area is an excellent idea... the best way to learn the game is from someone who already knows how to play it. But you might also want to check out the tutorials here on BGG; they demonstrate how the game works in great detail, and you can follow along even if you do not own a copy of the game:

An ASLSK Tutorial (Part 1)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/157922

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even for ASL, the core rules are A (infantry stuff), B (terrain - look up when you need it), C (guns and OBA, To Hit process) and D (tanks).

You just work your way up. It takes practice. This is learning the piano, not riding a bike. You continue to get better and better the more you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.