Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, I have toyed with becoming involved in this game, but am slightly put off by the seeming lack of availability for much of the product. Am I misguided by this conception?

How much of the product is still readily available enough so as to make the most of the time and monetary commitments?

I am fascinated by the prospects, but I hate the idea of not being able to get a couple of items and so missing out on any part of the game's expandability!

Thanks!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry so much about lacking all the modules. What with the rulebook and Beyond Valor you can already play a *lot* of scenarios. And it'll take a long time before you're out of scenarios.

Of course, if a certain aspect interests you (Americans, Brits, the PTO etc), then have no fear, reprints are a-coming. Possibly even within our lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get one of the starter kits before investing any money in ASL. You will soon know whether or not ASL is for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you haven't seen this:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/preorder/viewGame.php?id=8...

check it out,...

It looks like a nice 'all-in-one' pack which is part of the starter kit set but should offer a little bit of everything. (or just get pt 1, though that doesnt include tanks or big guns - but is still an excelent little box of stuff)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo all of the above comments.

You can also get the old versions of some of the modules that are out of print on ebay or through trades on BGG if you MUST have them before MMP gets around to reprinting them. I did this with Yanks, just because there isn't a reprint planned any time soon, and I'm a Yank and like to play the US. But you should wait for (and pre-order) the reprints. The reprints have honed the scenarios to better balance them. And most of the new printings now include scenarios from other out of print items that are no longer available at all. So patience, although difficult, is the way to go.

In terms of starting with the starter kits, that is definitely the way to go, especially if you are teaching yourself how to play without assistance from another human being. I tried it the other way around and failed to 'get it' three times after trying to read the full rules straight through. The starter kit rules aren't a LOT easier to understand, but they are layed out in a way that helps one to understand the game, rather than being purely a reference book for those that already know how to play (which is pretty much what the full ruleset is). Also, the starter kit scenarios are quite great because they are mostly very small (which means you can play them quickly) and really tense. I'd get ALL the sets. If you are a completist, which it sounds like you are from your post, you'll want them all anyway.

Regardless, PLAY THIS GAME! It most definitely is one of the best games ever made, and if you perservere through the learning curve, you will wish that you started playing it sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks everyone. I'll keep my eyes on it! Is there any place that helps break down which packs to buy based on interest or anything like that, so one could plan ahead? Thanks again for everyone's replies!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the out of print stuff you can find at reasonable prices. You just need to be patient and dillegent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will find a lot of the problem with OOP applies to either a collector or someone buying newer products. Yanks is probably the one issue you'd find with OOP stuff. Other then that you really get a lot of gaming from either existing modules or the newer specialty historical modules. Unless your a hardcore ASL'er or own a lot of the newer AP's/ Journals the Minor's modules are specialty products. VASL actually takes care of a lot of those issues if you can get into computer based gaming in addition to regular ASl FtF gaming.

I'd get the RB and BV first followed by VOTG. Get FKAC on pre order and start looking for Yanks on ebay. Skip the Journals unless you want to read about ASL and the APs becuase the new items really expect you to own everything. Download all the free scenario's because they are good, don't get stuck on if free they must not be good. This is also where VASL makes up for the lack of ownership becuase you could VASL these scenario's while FtF'ing the scenario's where you own the boards. Don't be afraid or opposed to VASL though, it is really a great way to supplement your ASL experience and the rulebook.

On the side, the Journals are something you shold consider to tackle in print first then OOP on ebay if anything for the articles because there is some great ASL reading in those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.