Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxime Bouchard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
As soon as the game was available, I purchased it. I had wait a long time for it. The two week delivery was painful, to say the least.

My usual group was thrilled, because we run an (original) Deadlands campaing since.. whenever. So, here how it goes.

Generality

Here you'll ind a quick review of the rule and wahtever that game is. If you're aware of that, or more interested in my opinion of the gameplay, just skip ahead.

Deadlands : The Battle for Slaughter Gulch is a adventuring/strategy game where you control one of the six different outfits competing for the control of the town. You do that by getting ghost rock, recruit townfolks, developping spell/gadget, buying equipment, arrest/rob others players, and making them buy the farm.In game term, each dude in your outfit get one action per turn to wreck havoc. Each outfit had sligthly differents order available and they're 15 order total in the game.

You play order on a little town map behind your oufit screen and everybody reveal they're intend for the turn simultaneously. Everybody move, two event card are drawed and resolved, everybody act, end of the turn.

Opening the Box

First, I was surprised at the size of the box. It's kinda small, but heavy. They're 56 20 mm mini. 36 yellowish outfit dude, and twenty white townfolk.

The screen are beautiful, but a bit small for my taste.

The smaller cards look a lot like the one found in Zombie Town. They're also bigger card witch are of regular size. They all have the deadlands logo on the back, but diffrent image in the front. I find them easy to sort out, more so than in Zombie Town.

They're six dices, some heavy cardboard Town location and two different colored bag of Ghost Rocks.

The only complain I have for the component come not from me, but from one of my player. She complained that the pawn we'ere a little difficult to distinguish from the others on the spot and I guess this can be frustrating. I painted the base of the oufit in different colors and that's that.

The Game

This is way more long then anticipated. I hope you'll still there. Here, take an imaginary cookie.

We were four players. We draw the Texas Rangers, the Shaman, the Huckster and the Mad Scientist.

The Texas Rangers, while confiscating all of our stuff, weren't particulary intimidating, and it cost them a lot. The Mad Scientist were all over the place robbing people and using there Ghost Rock Detector to empty the mine.The Huckster were gambling, trying to decipher the Hoyle Book of Game with a passion and occasionnaly sniping at the brwon dustered law enforcer. The shaman were messing with the dead,putting townfolk in spine box and being a general pain.

When the dust cleared, the Shaman were the new ruler of Slaughter Gulch, and like the saying go : I don't care if you respect me, as long as you fear me.

The game go fast. Really. They're is 6 ending condition (Our was that an outfit complete 4 of his 6 adjectif), but each one seem to be coming, well, fast. They're only 8 turns worth of event, and our game went on for 6 turns (About two hours, including rules explanation). We were learning the game, and it showed. With so many option, and nobody really focused (Everybody was quoting our roleplaying session constanly, wich is a good thing, in a way) we where playing like headless chicken run.

I didn't find the dice rolling offensive. In the rpg, the cards are mostly use as a flavor and the dice rolling was quite familiar. The rule work well, and the only problem we had was because we forgot some of them. We are looking forward to our next, 6 players game. That should be really interesting.

Overall

I liked the game. It was really full of theme, and I nearly feel like I was playing an rpg. For me, it was really great, but I guess some people my not like that, or not appreciate it as much as I. Anyway, the game is good at what it does and really feel like a work of love. Deadlands fan will find themselve enjoying a great game sliming with manitou... slimy stuff.

J'espère que cette masse de texte vous aideras à vous faire une opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I have played this twice now and have enjoyed it so far. The first time was a two player game and went fairly smooth. The second time, was five players and we did struggle a bit with the rules, we found quite a lot of ambiguity in them and some things we looked for we just could not find. we managed to resolve most issues with common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tezrek wrote:
This is way more long then anticipated. I hope you'll still there. Here, take an imaginary cookie.

Oh yeah, still here - read the whole thing, could have read more, too!

Mmm... imaginary cookie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post - I just saw this one the other day at the LFGS and was digging here to see if I should grab it or not. My group also played a very long Deadlands game and I was thrilled to see this!

Overall would you say it captures the unique feel of Deadlands?

Oh and thanks for the cookie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Bouchard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Overall would you say it captures the unique feel of Deadlands?

Indeed I'll do. Sure, you don't play a single character, but a group, but the component are just fine to set the tone and the gameplay is just fine. You arrest badguy, mine ghost rock, rob train and raise the dead. That's just sweet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I'll have to add this to the stack...lol - oh the heavy burden we gamers bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.