Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was thinking about getting this, glad I read your comments first as I probably wont get it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much kills it as a historical game. Card publisher thinking is to blame (opinion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Kenrick, we should live a bit closer together since we have so many games in common.

I pre-ordered this as I'm a fan of the Battleground series. Came to £40 for both boxed decks, some dice & postage from the US. The UK price is pretty much bang on (the dice were a side order, they don't come with the decks).

I was very pleased with the end product. Very interesting historical discussion as it has been a while since I read up on the period. Also pleased with how they have tackled the period within the Battleground system.

To be honest I didn't notice that none of the scenarios worked with the limits of the basic decks. I had wondered, because it seemed once I'd opened the two boxes that the secenarios came with the basic decks while the nice A5 rules booklet came with the advanced decks. I thought I'd made an error (not concentrating) as logically the rules booklet should come with the basics & scenarios with the advanced. Perhaps they have made a bit of an error with the packaging - has anyone else noticed this?

Tricky to say this now, but I'd like to recommend that you get the other box too. Or we could try to get together one day to play with my full set first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

There certainly wasn't any intent to mislead anyone with the packaging. Battleground has always been published with starter decks that give you enough to play and reinforcements that complete your army. For our first historical set we packaged both started decks together and both reinforcement decks together, at a $5 reduction in price. (Two decks would be $30 and the Punic War sets each have an MSRP of $25.)

Most of the Punic War battles were very large and thus call for more units than can fit in a starter set. Our intent was for the Basic Set to be playable as a wargame right out of the box but after reading your post I can certainly see how one might infer that Cannae and other battles would be playable with just a basic set. My apologies for any confusion. I'll try to make up for it by designing "Starter Only" army lists for the scenarios.

It's also true that we could have put it all together in one box, but not everyone wants that. Some people just like to try a game out and both our players and, especially, our retailers expressed a clear preference for a starter game and expansion rather than a single product with a $40-45 price tag.

Best regards,
Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveKitcat wrote:
To be honest I didn't notice that none of the scenarios worked with the limits of the basic decks. I had wondered, because it seemed once I'd opened the two boxes that the secenarios came with the basic decks while the nice A5 rules booklet came with the advanced decks. I thought I'd made an error (not concentrating) as logically the rules booklet should come with the basics & scenarios with the advanced. Perhaps they have made a bit of an error with the packaging - has anyone else noticed this?

This was a packing error. For people who preordered (and were getting both sets) we just shipped them out. For all the copies that went into distribution we've had to unwrap, swap rulebooks and then rewrap.

It's a good thing that I have a lot of friends who will work for pizza!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenrick822 wrote:
Hi Dave et al

You are right - it never occurred to me but I have the scenario book in my basic set - and no rules - I would have thought that must be a printers error on packing the game !

I'm confused -- did you just buy a Starter set? If so, that means we had an error on top of an error, and I apologize. If you send me your address I'll mail you a rulebook, and in the meantime it's available online as a PDF.

Quote:
I also noticed compared to my older sets the card stock is not a flexible, and the varnish is much stickier it must be a cheaper stock this time ....China perhaps ??

It's the same varnish and card stock we've used since the Umenzi. Most people consider it a quality upgrade.

Over all then if you did not buy the set you would have been left with out rules as well as not enough to play the historical game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
kenrick822 wrote:
yes, you have two quick start armies - but its a bit of a misnomer if you think you will be able to fight any of the descent Battles with out spending another £18.00 - so in reality you need to spend at least £36.00 UK on a small card game if you actually want to recreate the Hannibal battles not including postage via the Royal Mail - if you can find a postie working ATM

I feel and this is only my opinion ( please refrain from personal attacks because you might not agree with what I have said or about to say as I am talking about the game ):-

I . It should be made clear that if you want to play any of actual historical battles you will need two decks - in order to field the recommended forces...

2. This should have been sold as one set at less price in one larger box ...

I know its cheaper than mini's blah blah but it really is a little naughty as I now have to order the second box in order to commence my historical campaign - not quite as advertised !

Regarding 1: I can understand both why you thought what you did (the ad copy seems a little misleading, in that it specifically mentions some large battles) and also why the publisher didn't think it was unclear in the context of the various internet resources and the availability of the expansion. But the existence of a detailed scenario is part of the problem--it's my impression that you could still do, e.g., Cannae with the starter, it would just be a lower resolution simulation. I haven't tried, though--is that not true?

Regarding 2: Those of us who are interested in this product as an expansion to the existing B:FW sets may legitimately want a modest force, rather than committing to the giant armies needed to fight the large battles in high resolution. By packing them separately, each of us can get what we want. I'd be surprised if that jacks up the price for both very significantly, and given the nature of the hobby, I certainly doubt levels of profit are unfair to the consumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Prisciandaro
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I read this thread before buying this game, if I knew it was not a complete game I would have never bought it, I've been on the fence about this game and now I am sorry I bought it, I guess it goes to show theres some truth to the old adage "Buyer Beware", I guess this will be the first and last for this game. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.