Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Has a sitting US president ever gotten this award before?

edit: and here's a link. I stay up late to watch the Lunar mission and a political story is thrown into the deal:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33237202/ns/world_news-europe/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
Wow. Has a sitting US president ever gotten this award before?

As far as I know Jimmy Carter got his only in 2002. And he actually achieved something.

What has Barack Obama achieved so far in terms of peace-making? He didn't even have time to prove his abilities in this field. All he did was to continue the war in Aghanistan. Don't get me wrong, I am neutral towards him, but this nobel prize is clearly a farce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it April's fool already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, CNN-o-Vision is saying 3 presidents have won this thing before.

edit:

1. Theodore Roosevelt (1906)
2. Woodrow Wilson (1919)
3. Jimmy Carter Jr (2002)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lebanon
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Holy fucking shit, Nobel PEACE prize?! Now you know why the US didn't get the Olympics, all the bribery budget went to the Nobel committee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thread is destined to be amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
This thread is destined to be amazing.

In the end, that's all I ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
AT 22 wrote:
Holy fucking shit, Nobel PEACE prize?! Now you know why the US didn't get the Olympics, all the bribery budget went to the Nobel committee.

Note to self: make insubtantial posts including swear words to get more thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the BBC news article, there's a quote from the committee saying they gave this to him to support his efforts, not because he necessarily deserved it.

BBC news wrote:
Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

That I can understand, but I'm not convinced it's not going to backfire because it's very obviously a political award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Kester wrote:
If you read the BBC news article, there's a quote from the committee saying they gave this to him to support his efforts, not because he necessarily deserved it.

And they have therefore invalidated the value of the award going forward and done a great disservice to all the people who have won before for actually doing something.

It's a sad day for the Nobel Prize.

Or perhaps this is just some way to by-pass the US laws for political contribution limits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BBC news wrote:
Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

Those are good news for the candidates for Miss Universe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh lordy.

I go on record as saying this does nobody any good, and will only serve to enrage the mouth-breathers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hope he turns this down. Its a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:

BBC news wrote:

That I can understand, but I'm not convinced it's not going to backfire because it's very obviously a political award.

Sorry, but I cannot understand this reason. If I want to support a politician in his efforts, I applaud him in public, write a good article about him but do not give out the Nobel Prize to someone who clearly not deserved it yet and deny it from someone who clearly deserved it.

By this logic the laureates could be up-and-coming writers or college stundents because the committe wanted to support their efforts. This is bullshit and it instantly damaged the reputation of this prize... well all there was left after Adolf Hitler was nominated in 1939 and Yasser Arafat actually won in 1994.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Sapien
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The complete announcement from the Nobel Prize Committee:

Quote:
The Nobel Peace Prize for 2009

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

Oslo, October 9, 2009

Premature? Maybe. Political? Most certainly. But people cannot compare the Peace Price with the other Nobel prices. It was given to him not for his achievements, but in an effort to strengthen his position in international negotiations.

I think it is a surprising, but very good decision.

By the way, straight from Alfred Nobel's last will:

Quote:
...the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually awarded as prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind....
...and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses....
[emphasis mine]

So originally this was never intended to be a life-time achievement award. It's not an Oscar, you know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BPRD wrote:

Quote:
...the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually awarded as prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind....
...and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses....
[emphasis mine]

So originally this was never intended to be a life-time achievement award. It's not an Oscar, you know?

Correction on that emphasis for you...
Quote:

Unless "shall have conferred" or "shall have done" is meant to mean something like has the intention of doing something in the future, but not actually done yet. The award is intended to go to someone who did something. Whether in the last year or not, you're still suppose to have done something.

Any particular reason you opted to gloss over the actual work part?

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
BPRD wrote:

Quote:
[emphasis mine]

Again Obaam, whatever one thinks of him, has done NOTHING yet to deserve a peace prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
very obviously a political award.

And you prior thought a peace prize was based on math skill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Oh lordy.

I go on record as saying this does nobody any good, and will only serve to enrage the mouth-breathers.

I completely agree. This will give fuel to the Obama haters and will force Obama himself in a strange situation. Imagine that in the upcoming years he would like to start a war for whatever reason (counter-terrorism, peacekeeping, justice etc.) How could a Nobel Peace Prize laureate face the public and announce a war? I mean, seriously.

On top of that this event shamefully devalues the award itself. At least they could have waited a year. Well it doesn't matter anyway, after all it's just a title given out by a small bunch of smartasses elected by politicians of a small European country. I'm saying this as a citizen of a small and unimportant European country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
This is a total farce!!!

Some of the previous Nobel Prizes have been questionable. But this time the committee jumped the shark and turned this prize into the 'Liberal person of the year' award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whac3 wrote:
Again Obaam, whatever one thinks of him, has done NOTHING yet to deserve a peace prize.

Racist!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Again Obama, whatever one thinks of him, has done NOTHING yet to deserve a peace prize.

Racist!!
Yup, I hold people of all races to the same standards. Shocking, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My fellow Americans.... the strange popping sounds you are hearing are the tiny explosions of right wing brains all over the country exploding.

That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Kester wrote:
very obviously a political award.

And you prior thought a peace prize was based on math skill?

To be honest, I was wondering why Roger Penrose hadn't won it.

Edit for actual content: The "obviously" rather than the "political" was the important part of that sentence. Giving the prize to further your political purposes works if too many people don't realise you're doing so. When it's completely transparent that that's what you're doing, as in this case, it doesn't work so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What the fuck, I'm actually going to have to agree with Tripp on something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.