Subject: Knowledge is power......and power means treasure. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Puccio Cortese was confident. He had all the tools he needed at his disposal. It was time to see if those memory technique lessons with the mysterious professor, Derrenus Umber, would pay off. As he entered the Temple of Chac he felt a cold thrill of excitement run down his spine.

Together the adventure party advanced into the first room of the Temple. It was an enormous antechamber with strangely carved walls and a patterned floor. Puccio let the others get ahead of him. It wouldn't do to be seen or overheard as he muttered the memory charms. Stooping down to examine the pattern on the floor he pretended to dig for treasure. To his surprise he found some. That was excellent; it hid his real purpose of memorizing the design on the floor.
Slowly he stood up and took a few more steps. No-one else was concentrating on him. Either they were examining the diagrams for themselves or digging for treasure. Occasionally somebody let out a little whoop of joy or a groan of disappointment. Puccio carefully proceeded through the chamber. At each new pattern he stopped and committed it to memory. Only once was his thought process broken, when there was a low rumble.

Everyone stopped at that noise and Lea Rice (a tarty looking girl, Puccio had already decided) had to jump as the wall she was examining lurched towards her as if some monster were pushing it from the other side. That made the whole group speed up, but Puccio still went steadily murmuring the memorization chant. What disturbed him slightly more was the echo of a rasping rock on rock sound that continued in the background long after the wall had stopped moving. Nobody else seemed to worry.

Across the antechamber there was a doorway into the corridor. Puccio was richer by several treasures, but even more valuable was the information he had gleaned from the archaic design work. His research into the temple told him that these patterns were the difference between life and death further into the derelict place of ancient worship.
Following the crowd, he turned right and continued down the corridor, with them but not really part of their group. Suddenly a crash sounded behind them and a clatter of falling stone. They all jumped and turned at once. Now Puccio understood. The secondary rumble was explained. An enormous rock the size of a four storey house was slowly moving down the corridor behind them. The race was on.

Several of the fools (that’s how Puccio saw them) started running straight away. That would never work. You could never outrun such a formidable trap. There was only one way to defeat it, through brains, not brawn. Anybody of reasonable intelligence could outwit a rock. It was a shame that Puccio was the only one in the group with reasonable intelligence.
The Guatemalan princess was already screaming down the corridor. Her problem. Martin Fletcher and Mustafa Ibrahin had leapt onto the nearest pillar out of the corridor. Fools, never leap before you look, thought Puccio. He calmed his mind and repeated his mantra of memorized patterns. Carefully he examined the patterns on the pillars, looking for a match. The gigantic ball of rock was gathering speed now. Having made his decision Puccio stepped, quite lightly for a big man, onto the pillar he had chosen.

Relief as it held. He glanced across at Martin and Mustafa, Martin was about to try another pillar. Almost in slow motion he seemed to step, first onto a pillar and then onto thin air. The trap opened and he disappeared. There was a roar of fire from somewhere below the pillared room. For the first time Puccio noticed how hot it was. Well, Martin was no loss, a daft young adventurer with no common sense. At least his parents would be spared the cost of his funeral, it was probably the first unselfish thing the boy had done.
Puccio stepped forward again. He was beginning to develop a rhythm. Examine the pillar, step forward, and look for the treasure around the base. It was easy now for him to recognize the traps. Gradually he made his way across the room stripping it of treasure as he went, rather like a locust strips the land of food.

As he reached the other side Puccio received his first shock. The colossal granite marble was moving faster than he had thought it would. Somehow the rest of the group had moved ahead and Puccio was at the back. Panicking slightly he stepped out into the corridor and was almost crushed. He jumped back just in time. The boulder rumbled past.
Quick, he thought, there’s only one thing for it and with the rock gone, Puccio took two quick steps across the corridor and through the opening on the other side. A freezing, breathless shock hit him. What was it, why was he so wet and he seemed to be being pushed and buffeted. He was in a deep and cold underground stream and he was trapped.

Puccio struggled for air. Something held his foot. Gasping he ducked under the water and grabbed at the offending item. With a gigantic heave he freed his foot and struggled to the surface, gasping and sucking in the cold, sharp air. Puccio was almost out of energy, he let the stream carry him, still holding on to the handle of whatever had caught his foot.
Once he had sufficient oxygen in his lungs he examined what he was holding. It was a strong box of some kind, perhaps a treasure box. Happily it was slightly buoyant now that it was free from its place of internment on the floor of the stream. Puccio clutched it and went with the flow. A scream that pierced his ears stopped his daydream of the treasure within the box.

Somewhere ahead there was trouble. Puccio spotted a place where the ceiling lowered and the river seemed to disappear. The scream had been someone going over a waterfall. That shook him back into life. Puccio began to strike out for the side. He could see others standing dripping on the bank, it must be safe there.
It was not easy, but Puccio was a strong swimmer because of his years at sea. With the treasure chest to help he was soon ashore. Looking down the corridor he could see daylight a little way away. Then it was time for his next shock. The enormous boulder was charging down the corridor towards him.

He saw the others running away and much closer to the exit than he was. Summoning every last ounce of energy he ran and ran, spilling out into the welcoming light as the Temple sealed shut behind him. He was free and he was alive. That was all that counted.
Gingerly he got to his feet. Around him the survivors, and there weren’t many, were counting their treasure. Six had entered the tomb, only four came through to the other side.

Puccio started to pile his treasure on the forest floor. His pile grew and grew; he seemed to have more than anyone else. Certainly his time in the Hall of Pillars had been well spent. Finally, he took out a chisel and started to lever open the treasure chest. Next to him ‘Montana Bill’ Baker (‘I’ll bet he’s never been to Montana’, thought Puccio) was doing the same thing.

Finally the hinges gave way and the lid came off. Puccio was disappointed to see that the chest was only half-full. Next to him Baker gave a cry that brought the others running. His strongbox was full to overflowing. So what, thought Puccio, he’s got the most treasure. It means nothing. Let him have his little victory.
I have something that ‘Caveman Bill’ will never have. I have Knowledge. Knowledge brings the greatest treasure of all...power!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Earthworm wrote:
Well, Martin was no loss, a daft young adventurer with no common sense.

Hey!

I resemble that remark ...

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Earthworm wrote:
... a tarty looking girl...

Having missed last night's adventures, I'm desperately struggling not to "suggest" who this may refer to...

Sounds like I missed a good one though Bloody electricians!!

EDIT: And now I realise this particular party was an all male one, I'm really struggling to hold my tongue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report! Thanks for writing it!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genius Roj.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I really enjoyed that session of yours, Roger. Thanks.

Got the game today and will be reading the rules tomorrow before my gaming group arrives for our weekend marathons

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallet Ranger wrote:
EDIT: And now I realise this particular party was an all male one, I'm really struggling to hold my tongue...

Strange things can happen in the Temple of Chac. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederic Henry
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutly great. I love your review. When I read you, i'm feeling in the temple.
Big thanks for this one Puccio .
Fred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is a great session report and a fun read. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good show! I am looking forward to my daughter reading this. You definitely have a flair for writing and it shows. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.