John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Filler games, don’t you just love ‘em. They are so useful, either at the start of an evenings gaming while you wait for everyone to arrive, or at the end when you realise there are a few more minutes before you need to vacate the premises. There are lots of different games that are considered filler’s but I really think the most versatile one is No Thanks.

I nearly always have a copy on me as you never know when a game might break out. I have introduced several people to the joys of gaming using No Thanks. I was on Jury Service earlier in the year and I introduced the Jury to No Thanks, two of them ended up buying a copy.

So what’s its secret? It’s simple and it’s fast. It says 20 minutes on the side of the box, but I really can’t believe it could ever take that long.

Each player starts with 11 tokens. You have a deck of cards. The cards are numbered from 3 to 35. Shuffle the deck and before play begins nine cards are removed from the deck. The deck is placed face down on a convenient surface and the first card turned over. The first player then has the option to take the card or put a token on it. If he chooses to take it, the value of the card will count for part of his score at the end of the game. The winner being the player with the lowest score. If he chooses to put a token on the card the choice goes to the next player who again can take or place a token on it. If you run out of tokens you have to take the face up card. When you take a card you also get all the tokens on it.

If you get a run of cards (the game only requires two cards for a run), like 12, 13, 14, you only score the lower card. In this case 12. So getting runs can greatly reduce your score, only nine cards have been removed so you can’t guarantee the card you want is even in play.

When all the cards are gone everyone adds up the points they have showing and subtracts one point for every token they have at the end of the game. The player with the lowest points is the winner.

As you start with 11 tokens and you have to take a card if you run out of tokens, you will need to take some cards during the game. The key to the game is taking them at the right time. Even high cards can be worth taking if they have enough tokens on them.

A game usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes so quite often you might play more than one game. It can be quite moorish, especially your first game. You just scored 110 and the winner got 5, you just know you could do better next time.

It’s cheap; it’s fast, its fun. It really is a game everyone should have a copy of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a 15 minute game with my nieces aged 8 and 11. They want to play evert time they drop by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Jackson
United States
La Center
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's one of our favorite filler games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.