Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or is the very last example in the rulebook severely flawed?

Lola gets rid of one of the Grey markers from the board through the use of an amulet, which leaves the one grey marker where her Jeep is. She may now raise the treasure "before taking her regular action, in which she moves her ATV to the black site and raises that treasure"?

Surely raising the treasure would have ended her turn? Page 3 bottom right corner - Raising a treasure ends your movement(no matter how many legs you have used)?

Anyway, she's then moved onto the black marker and raised that, which to my eyes has used her 3 movements (or legs) to get there - I'm fine with that bit (assuming it's her next turn of course!!).

After this she's used an amulet to gain an extra move to get to the brown and white treasures which she also raises. Well that would constitute 3 legs to get to those treasures and according to the rules (top of page 6) you can play an amulet to take an extra "Move your ATV" action?

Maybe this part is all down to how I've interpreted it?

In my mind an extra "move your ATV action" means just one extra move (ie. one leg)? I'm now assuming that "take an extra move" means the whole 3 legs?

And then to top it all Lola goes and raises the last two treasures. Which doesn't really bother me but I can't help thinking that Lola is singing from a differant hymn book to the rest of us....

I thought I had the rules sorted out in my head but this example has thrown me for six. shake
Any help would be appreciated and gratefully received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just to add to my previous concern - On page 5 Roger decides to use an amulet to take his first move (leg) as an "extra" move.

He then continues his regular turn.

I'm now doubly convinced that it's not me losing my marbles and is indeed either Lola or Roger that isn't playing this game correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Examples look fine to me. It says raising a treasure ends your *movement*, not your turn. IE, no moving one, raising a treasure, moving 1, raising another...

Your turn is either A) Play a clue card, or B) Move your ATV. Lola has done none of those things yet, so her turn certainly isn't over after she raises the first treasure.

Raising treasures or using amulets is not part of your "turn", you can do as many of those on your turn as you wish.

Her turn:

- Use amulet to remove site marker (free)
- Raise grey treasure (free)
- Moves to black (her one action per turn)
- Raise black treasure (free)
- Use amulet to move to White/Brown (free)
- Raise white treasure (free)
- Raise brown treasure (free)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for replying

But I still have concerns.... Why would it say "Raising a treasure ends your movement (no matter how many legs you have used) if it wasn't implying that getting treasure ends your turn? Unless of course you use an amulet. (I think I've written that how I intended it?)

And....

In the "Hint for experts" box Roger discards an amulet and only moves once before taking his regular action? Whereas Lola uses her amulet to move 3 times to reach the double Booty?

I think I've probably ended up repeating myself (sorry), I think your opinions are valid but I'm not entirely convinced you've answered my question. Or rather I'm not sure the answer I'm looking for has been found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the following rules are consistent with everything in the rulebook:

1) If at any time during your turn you are on the same space as a treasure and you are not in the middle of a Move action, you may raise it.

2) An Amulet grants a full 3 legs of movement.

3) If you are on an Amulet at the beginning of your turn (prior to doing anything at all), you automatically pick it up.

4) If you end a movement leg on an Amulet you may pick it up, as long as that movement was not granted by an Amulet.

- Anthony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vistathon wrote:
But I still have concerns.... Why would it say "Raising a treasure ends your movement (no matter how many legs you have used) if it wasn't implying that getting treasure ends your turn?

Because it's just telling you that something like:

move to end of mountains to treasure
raise it
cross into jungle
move across jungle to treasure
raise it

is illegal.

You can move to a treasure and raise it, but that ends your movement phase.

The rules want to point out that raising multiple treasures is possible, but not on the same movement. To do so, it takes being on the treasure to start, or to use extra movement amulets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vistathon wrote:

Thanks for replying

But I still have concerns.... Why would it say "Raising a treasure ends your movement (no matter how many legs you have used) if it wasn't implying that getting treasure ends your turn? Unless of course you use an amulet. (I think I've written that how I intended it?)

1. If you are at a defined treasure site at the beginning of your turn, you can raise that treasure and then take your normal turn. (You can even opt for Action A "Playing hint cards", that is why the options of playing amulets and raising treasures are given besides both actions (A and B) in the yellow box on page 2-3.

2. An amulet grants indeed 3 legs of movement. In other words, playing an amulet just gives you another turn, which you can use either to move your ATV or to play another hint card.

3. One thing that is easily overlooked: On page six, one of the options when playing an amulet is "Exchanging ones whole hand of hint cards". Only there it says, that this is also an option for your normal turn (more or less a C action), whereas this is omitted on page 2 and 3. So, in your turn you can either play a card, move the ATV or exchange your hand of cards.

4. The rules say, that your movement ends without regard to the legs used up when you raise a treasure, in order to prevent situations where one player could raise multiple treasures on different hexes during one regular turn. As it is now, raising multiple treasure during one regular turn is only possible, if they are located on the same hex. In any other case, you would need one or more amulets.

Quote:

And....

In the "Hint for experts" box Roger discards an amulet and only moves once before taking his regular action? Whereas Lola uses her amulet to move 3 times to reach the double Booty?

As mentioned above, an amulet allows for a (up to) 3-leg-movement. However, Roger voluntarily forfeits the seceond and third legs of his bonus movement in order to get the two amulets D and E. If he would move onto amulet D with the third leg of his bonus movement, he would not be allowed to pick it up, as this is only permitted during "regular" movements. Therefore, he ends his bonus move early, and takes the amulet with two legs of regular movement.
Alternatively, he could have done an additional leg of bonus movement onto the river hex and then switched to regular movement. Then he would still have one leg to move after picking up amulet E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarbgghow wrote:

As mentioned above, an amulet allows for a (up to) 3-leg-movement. However, Roger voluntarily forfeits the seceond and third legs of his bonus movement in order to get the two amulets D and E.

Aaaaah that makes more sense now.

It was Rogers strategy not to use all 3 "amulet" movements for his benefit rather than using all he could (which is how Lola payed it).

It seems obvious now - I guess I felt that 3 legs of free movement seemed to much?

Thanks Thomas - this could be the answer I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see where "no matter he many legs you has used" could be misleading because there is more than one way to interpret it.

It can be read as 'ends all movement whether you have moved 0,1,2, or 3 legs' when it really means 'ends current movement phase if you have moved 1, 2, or 3 legs'. How many you have moved *does* matter because if you have moved 0 legs, it doesn't apply.

Something like 'ends movement phase if ATV moved to treasure' or 'ends movement phase if movement phase has begun' would be less ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.