Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a "section"? Are we talking about a physical tile?

Second, when I envision the flamer, I see a flame thrower. So if I'm shooting at something 12 spaces ahead of me, am I lighting up the target section, or the sections that cover the 12 spaces in front of me? If the former, can I target a GS/space that's behind another GS blocking line of sight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Flamer confuses the hell out of me
Quote:
Sorry, it does. First of all, what's a "section"? Are we talking about a physical tile?

Yes.

Quote:
Second, when I envision the flamer, I see a flame thrower. So if I'm shooting at something 12 spaces ahead of me, am I lighting up the target section, or the sections that cover the 12 spaces in front of me? If the former, can I target a GS/space that's behind another GS blocking line of sight?

Only the target section. You have to envision it as a incendiary grenade launcher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
A section is a board section AKA the physical jigsaw piece.
All the squares on that section are effeted LOS or not.

Feel free to look at all the other threads on this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Lomerson
United States
Hampton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:
...can I target a GS/space that's behind another GS blocking line of sight?

you can not target the GS with the heavy flamer if LOS to him is blocked. you can, however, target any empty square you have LOS to in the section the GS is in. then he's toast!

or if the GS blocking LOS is in the same section, just flame that guy. then they all are toast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Only the target section. You have to envision it as a incendiary grenade launcher.

The Marine fires the flamer.
The Flamer launches a stream of Promethium in a arc, igniting the TAIL of the stream.
The stream lands, and the ignition catches.
The pooled, burning promethium, spreads through the area, how far depending on how choked with rubble and debris that area of the hulk is (as represented by a board section).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Benham
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:

The Marine fires the flamer.
The Flamer launches a stream of Promethium in a arc, igniting the TAIL of the stream.
The stream lands, and the ignition catches.
The pooled, burning promethium, spreads through the area, how far depending on how choked with rubble and debris that area of the hulk is (as represented by a board section).

Should also note that a real life flamethrower works in a similar manner. It shoots a stream of flaming liquid that sticks to and burns what it lands on. It is in fact possible to "bounce" flamethrower shots around corners to a certain extent.

Most people think of flamethrowers as seen in video games/movies, which are more like Propane torches, spewing out a gas that they ignite into a short range burst of flame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Heac0ck
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamer confuses the hell out of me too...
ok, but what if the section with the lead/front (blocking) GS is standing on the small 1-2 square hallway section? Would the burst be localized to that single small tile?

Following the logic above would those shortest hallway sections be visualized as more cluttered, causing the Promethium to splash out less???

EDIT: I found an answer here http://www.geekdo.com/thread/444552

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
You aim at a square that is in line of sight (it is actually irrelevant if there is a genestealer on that space). The flamer blast fills the one physical jigsaw piece that the target square is in - if its a 3-corridor, it fills those 3 squares, if it is a 10-square room, it fills those 10 squares, and yes, if it is a 1-square corridor, it fills one square. Just look for where the jigsaw breaks are on the physical board.

Then, roll to hit every model in that board section.

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spleek wrote:
Following the logic above would those shortest hallway sections be visualized as more cluttered, causing the Promethium to splash out less???

Yes, exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B P
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

and once for each blip! (just to avoid any further confusion;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
ketarb wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

and once for each blip! (just to avoid any further confusion

But if there is a closed door on that board space, don't roll for anything on the far side of the door. (Just to avoid any further confusion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Giller
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I understood all that, but just to clarify - if the trooper with the flamer is also on the same board section - does he also risk death?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Wong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And the GW FAQ says that you can target a section containing marines with the flamer. As one poster said, anything for the win . . .

Or as I would say, the Emperor appreciates your sacrifice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"anything for the win" Quoted by most cheats.

You can flame a section with a marine. Which contradicts 1st eds edict of No. You still cannot though actually target a friendly at least.

kvezner wrote:
And the GW FAQ says that you can target a section containing marines with the flamer. As one poster said, anything for the win . . .

Or as I would say, the Emperor appreciates your sacrifice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Wong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Creative and funny cheating (so long as it's done in the spirit of being creative and funny and not to screw over the other players) is actually quite good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Wong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: When I say 'quite good' I meant it is entertaining so long as everyone at the table understands that the 'cheater' is not actually trying to get away with anything and is simply having a laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and once for each blip! (just to avoid any further confusion

Hmm, so if you flame a room, and there are two blips in the room but out of your flamer's LOS, neither blip is revealed? You roll only one die for each blip, even if the blip represents three Stealers?

Edit: Oop, I just found the answer in another thread. No reveal, and one die roll per blip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Fiorelli
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify:

can SM with flamer shoot to the same tile twice in the same action round?

Mauro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gedeone wrote:
Just to clarify:

Mauro

he *can* if you want, each additional shot causing another 2+ hit on anything left standing after the first. It wouldn't have any other effect, and the markers all go away at the end of the turn.

With enough CP and such, you *could* unload the entire promethium canister of six shots on a single bard space in a single turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Fiorelli
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
Gedeone wrote:
Just to clarify:

Mauro

he *can* if you want, each additional shot causing another 2+ hit on anything left standing after the first. It wouldn't have any other effect, and the markers all go away at the end of the turn.

So there's no problem with LOS for shooting again vs. the same tile after first shot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gedeone wrote:
Slev wrote:
Gedeone wrote:
Just to clarify:

Mauro

So there's no problem with LOS for shooting again vs. the same tile after first shot?

No, as you can still target the *first* tile of the same board section.

That said, it is generally not an advisable tactic, as it's a waste of ammo in 99.9% of cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gedeone wrote:

The flames block LOS but the edge of the first square is visible, and that's all you need.

Page 21 "You can fire more than once at a section if desired," and "Note that it is possible to trace a line of sight to a target on the edge of a burning section, as long as there are no burning squares in between."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.