Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hearing this question over and over again: “How exactly does your game differ from “Magic: The Gathering”?”

So in order to sort it out once and for all, i will here describe the major differences between MTG and E.C.:

I can identify three (pretty obvious after having read the rules) major differences:

Major difference # 1: The win condition:

In MTG your goal is to bring your opponent down to zero life in order to win. in E.C. however, each point of damage dealt to a Player by Creatures or Spells results in the top card of his or her Spellbook (Draw-Pile) being put onto his or her Discard-Pile. If a Player is required to draw a card, but can’t, he or she loses the game immeditaley. That is a huge difference in gamplay.

Major difference #2: The resource system:

In MTG you play lands which produce mana for casting Spells. In E.C. you build Element-Stone-Piles with the lowermost Stone determining what type of Energy the whole pile produces. You cannot rearrange the order of the Element-Stones after they have been played. Creatures and Spells are played to suitable Element-Stone-Piles. At the beginning of your turn, the piles are emptied (Creatures move either to the ATK- or to the DEF-Zone and Spells are put onto the Discard-Pile) so that new Spells and Creatures can be played to them.

Major difference #3: Combat:

Contrary to MTG there are two Zones where you can place Creatures in: The ATK- and the DEF-Zone. Creatures in the ATK-Zone can attack either your opponent or Creatures in the opponent’s ATK-Zone and can be attacked by opposing Creatures. Creatures in the DEF-Zone however can neither attack nor be attacked, but may block the opponent’s Creatures’ attacks on you.

These are the three most obvious things that make E.C. differ from MTG, thus making it not just a bad MTG-Clone, but a decent and creative, new fantasy card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Major difference #4: Price:
Absolutely no comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL!
you're absolutely right rudolf!
totally forgot about that one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try this out, seems like a very cool take on the game. I'm going to watch the video you put up, thanks for that.

re #1, I did think though that a alternate win condition in M:tG was to "deck" someone, i.e. they run out of cards. It's been a long long time but I recall some card that made people discard from their library. Your mechanic is still different from that though if that happens when taking damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct Brian, of the few win conditions in M:tG, running out of cards in your library is a bad thing. I think the difference lies in the idea that your deck in EC is a pseudo life total as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Propst
Austria
enzenkirchen
upper austria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hello again jon! nice to hear from you!
you're absolutely right brian, in mtg there is the alternative win condition of "decking" your opponent, but it never was much of a very popular or competative and viable strategy...

thx guys for watching my video tut. be sure to give it a five star rating thx a million guys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.