Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m going to go out in the shed this weekend and make a copy. I’ll post some photos for all to see when I’ve finished, it might take a while though. I just need some dimensions now. Like how big is the starting platform? How big is the first platform? How far is it to the first scoring line? How deep is the curve at the end of each platform? What are the dimensions of the ledges and the small x4 scoring ledges?

Just everything I need to knock it up myself basically. Measurements in metric would be easier but I'll accept imperial from the stone age Americans.

Any help would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You expect someone who spent their hard-earned money on this game to take the time to take all those measurements just so you can build your own game for free?

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:
You expect someone who spent their hard-earned money on this game to take the time to take all those measurements just so you can build your own game for free?

shake

Baah you sound like a barrel of laughs. Please explain to me how I can make it for free?

Everyone who bought it could have made their own board but they chose to buy it probably for convenience. I don’t think most would begrudge me for attempting to make my own copy. I’m not the first. I was inspired by the photographs of peoples attempts on the game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Jack wrote:

Everyone who bought it could have made their own board but they chose to buy it probably for convenience.

Or because they felt that a company that exists making games and designers who spend their time creating them should actually make some money to continue doing what they do.

Arctic Jack wrote:
I’m not the first.

And the next guy who robs a bank won't be the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it is worth, it costs much more to make one than it does to buy one. I bought one and later made a second one myself (partly because I enjoy the occasional wood working project)...and all the more when you take the time to make it into account. It has been OOP for a while here (IIRC), although I think I saw somewheres someone is publishing it again shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord. Assembling chunks of wood is synonymous with robbing a bank? *sigh*

Let's all head over to the Crokinole forum and sneer at people who've made their own boards. They are robbing the Hilinski brothers!

Any games that are structurally as simple as these are bound to have homemade copies around. It's not as if Bernard is suggesting making exact duplicates of "real" TumblinDices and selling them,

Bernard, you can probably use the dice in the pictures as a benchmark by which to make semi-accurate measurements of the various widths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
paulmond wrote:
Good lord. Assembling chunks of wood is synonymous with robbing a bank? *sigh*

Let's all head over to the Crokinole forum and sneer at people who've made their own boards. They are robbing the Hilinski brothers!

Crokinole is a public domain game that's over 100 years old. Quite different then ripping someone off for a creation they designed 5 years ago. *sigh*

I think if someone is going to make their own copy of something like this they should buy one first. Ferti bought the rights and are making them available again before the end of this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
paulmond wrote:

No one owns the rights to Crokinole. You're free to do as you please.

paulmond wrote:
Any games that are structurally as simple as these are bound to have homemade copies around.

And you can photocopy Dominion completely.

Still, you end up playing a game that you did not pay the creators for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Email sent w/ some plans I found in the past - you can find some photos here on the geek of homemade boards for better views
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think people who are upset are just trying to protect the interests of those developers and publishers who create board games. Creating a new game involves a great deal for time and effort, not to mention significant financial risk. When people create copies of a game instead of buying the official version, it does affect the return on investment for that hard work.

The argument is similar to discussions about emulating video games, or pirating music. Is it legal? Is it ethical? Does anyone care? However, I believe there are some notable legal differences in what is allowed as long as you aren't selling the end product, so the comparison isn't entirely fair. (Note: I am not a lawyer.)

Personally, I prefer to buy a "real" game and support the hobby industry - including designers, developers, publishers, and distributors who make it so that the games I love keep appearing. You are free to do as you choose. (And others are free to judge you based on your choices... hey, it's a free world!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
I invented the internet and I haven't seen a dime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravager wrote:
I invented the internet and I haven't seen a dime.

Thanks for the internet. Here you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about Tumblin' Dice is that is doesn't need to be precise. You don't need measurements to make the game. Just slap some wood together in a close (or disparate) approximation of what you see in photos and you'll have a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brinksw wrote:
Email sent w/ some plans I found in the past - you can find some photos here on the geek of homemade boards for better views

Thank you, those are perfect!

I've bought games in the past and I'll continue to buy games in the future, I'm far from killing the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with someone making copies of Tumblin' Dice, because you wouldn't be buying a copy otherwise.

I own it (I don't even remember where I got it--oh wait, I met a guy in a parking lot and bought it, in Lehi, Utah) but I don't like it as much as Crokinole, due to the randomness. With that thought in mind, I think you should invent a new, cooler game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the randomness of the die faces kills skilled play.
Try playing with crokinole disks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole disks kill random play. Play with dice! And Beer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjabob wrote:
Yeah, the randomness of the die faces kills skilled play.
Try playing with crokinole disks!

I disagree...if you get skilled enough, you can knock other player's dice off the board so they get 0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how'd the board turn out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brinksw wrote:
So how'd the board turn out?

Haven't finished yet, far from it actually. Got a call from the hospital had to go in and get some tests done. Got an operation on Saturday. Will post the pictures when it's finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This project is on the back burner. I've had the operation and I'm in a sling for 4 weeks. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Murphy
United States
Tyrone
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So for those who made their copy, how did you connect the different levels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreed wrote:
So for those who made their copy, how did you connect the different levels?

The board I made I just used dowels and drilled holes through the lower level and into the upper level (obviously very carefully and NOT all the way through the upper level ). I did use special bits that drill a flat bottomed hole instead of your standard bits that leave a concave? bottomed hole. I clamped the two levels together to drill the holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grady
United States
Oak Ridge
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it still horrible to want to make your own copy of this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not, because I just finished mine a month ago or so and it's freakin' awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.