Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Scarborough
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be any possibility of playing this with two players? Is Queen going to publish a two player variant?

Jeff in Texas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be more interested in buying it if it could be played two-player. Even better if there was a solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - all these cool looking 3-player-minimum games are driving me bananas.

After reading the rules, I thought it might lend itself relatively easily to the each-player-plays-two-colors 2p variant though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't like the "two players play 2 colors" option in these multiple player games. It's just too cumbersome.

I'd much rather have a dummy player, the way it's provided with the game such as Alhambra or Taj Mahal (albeit official 2 player dummy came later from Knizia). Then it could be quite a treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd much rather have a dummy player, the way it's provided with the game such as Alhambra

A fair point. That does sound interesting, although I've yet to play a game with a dummy player 2p. I've read about the Dirk character in Alhambra, and sounds fun (Alhambra is still on my wish list). Considering the designer, perhaps Dirk also "plays" Colonia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummy player rules wouldn't be so straight forward as in Alhambra given the number of different things going on over the week. But how about...

When voting for edicts, the dummy player will choose a decision at random from his two cards. He is never restricted by the number of family members he has available and may take them from the street on any part of the board.

Tuesday
Choose a family card at random and asign family members. Put his family card back since he may use the same card again if he likes.

Wednesday
On his turn, remove the 8 card and then select one of his family cards at random. Keep the card out so it is not selected again during this day. Counting from the top left, resources from the market stall matching his card number, if still available, go back in the bag. He continues to do this each turn if other players do. He passes only after each of the other players has done.

Thursday
On his turn, remove cards 6,7 and 8. Select one of his family cards at random and counting from the left, place the appropriate number of cubes in this queue for goods. He continues to do this each turn if other players do. He passes only after each of the other players has done.

Friday
On his turn, roll the dice. For rolls of 1-5, Count empty cargo spaces starting from the smallest space available on boat number 1. He places a family member here. For rolls of 6 he does not place goods in a boat. He continues to do this each turn if other players do. He passes only after each of the other players has done.

Saturday
Dummy player gets money appropriate for the goods he has shipped.

Sunday
Add up the dummy players money regardless of currency. On his first turn this day, he buys the most expensive relic available for the combined total. Any remaining money goes back to the bank. Where there is more than one relic of highest value, take the one nearest to the top left. He may only buy one relic per round. He does not have to assign a relic to a shrine until game end.

Exception: in round 5 he keeps any change left over from his purchase and in round 6 he may buy as many relics as he is able to from his money and should be given his change after each turn.

At game end, he is not eligible for the stained glass windows. However his is able to assign any shrine relics to the highest value card of that colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone tried Mark Rollings 2 player variant? Would be interested if it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Prosser
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've played a very simple 2 player variant with one rule change:

Each player chooses a single colour as normal and uses all 38 cubes (as in 3 player game).

When it comes to voting, if both players vote opposite to each other, we role the die. On a 1-4 the person acting as mayor for that round gets the result in their favour.

It keeps everything simple and close to the standard game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years late, but anybody else played this 2-player variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lolcese wrote:
Two years late, but anybody else played this 2-player variant?

I have not, though came here today looking for the option so my wife and I can try it out.

In general it seems like a good variant for 2 forcing the board to shrink and making the decisions just a bit tougher. A couple of questions though.

For Tuesday, I am not sure the benefit of putting the family card back into the draw pile. Seems he should be limited to the same 6 cards as the real players. Though this does give much more uncertainty as he can draw the 8 time and again. I am leaning towards completely random each turn of all available cards.

For Wednesday, it seems like he should take a tent of resources no matter what (this is most likely what would be happening with a real 3rd player). Two of the cards have an 8-value, so I understand taking that card out but it also means the 8-tent will always be safe. I would suggest leaving the 8 card in BUT if there is no matching value, then one tent be removed - probably starting from the lowest and working its' way back up. That way there is some random element but also forced closure of tents each impulse.

For Thursday, this seems the biggest issue. Taking out the 6, 7, and 8 make sense ... if there were also a 1 and 2 card in the mix. As it is, the Saddler and Cartwright will never be blocked by him. I would suggest leaving cards 6 and 7 in the mix and 6 = 1 while 7 = 2 for blocking purposes. Maybe even leave 8 in the mix as a "no placement" card to give some variability. You may still only get 2 or 3 blocks but at least it is random instead of more specific.

Friday seems spot on. 1/6 chance of no placement. Counting just the empty spaces will get him down into the 3rd and 4th boats as well.

Sunday is another question mark. Seems to me he should be taking out more than 1 relic a turn. I would say if he had the money, he should get 2 shots at it per turn. I am also not sure if he should be ditching his cash each turn and instead keep it like he does in round 5 for round 6. But I think I would play it as written and see how it works first.

Of the Edict cards, only one that I see brings up a question: the one allowing an additional good to be placed on a ship for 2 vp. My assumption is that this would be reserved for real players if passed and they don't count as spaces when rolling the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.