Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own WOW:TBG, and I am in the market for another of the FFG big box games. I would love opinions about which is best. Currently, I am leaning toward Descent with Twilight Imperium a close second, followed by StarCraft and finally Tide of Iron. I would be glad to be swayed if someone has a compelling reason. I enjoy games of all themes mechanics and levels of difficulty. I plan to own all of them eventually and I just want to know what I should get next. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Reins of Power
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own WoW, Twilight Imperium and Starcraft; only TI has made it to the table so far (needs three players, after all), but I like it quite a bit. Starcraft looks terrific, just haven't been able to get a game going. Can't speak to the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the games are somewhat similiar but all with different themes. i would go with which ever theme you like the best and what's going to suit your game group.

descent, with road to legend expansion is my most played of the big box games. It requires a lot of time and dedicated players, including an overload.

ti:3 is the game i want to like the most of the ffg offerings, but it takes way too long and thus you'll likely rarely play it. it also seems that you would want the expansion which seems to fix some of the rules that most heads around here seem to have the most problems with.

starcraft, i only played once, and the game had a predesigned setup to get players in their face quickly. i really enjoyed it, and think it's a game which shows the progressive advancement which ffg has made with their games. it's def fun, and one i would recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I own Descent, TI, and Starcraft. Descent has made it to the table the most and I definitely enjoy it, but TI is my favorite game. I'd recommend TI if you and your group doesn't mind a really long game(think 1.5 hours per player) and enjoy the theme. Otherwise I'd recommend Descent if you like the theme and would be able to play it more often than TI. I'd recommend Starcraft if you want the space theme but not the HUGE time commitment of TI.

Even though TI doesn't hit the table as often as the other two, I still prefer it because for months after a game we're still talking about it. It's not considered an epic game for no reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rybak
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some comments on each:

Descent--3 to 5 players, sweet spot is 5. It can be played with 2 but the hero player has to run several characters which can put him at a disadvantage. Has quite a few expansions and another in the pipe. I find I prefer "vanilla" Descent (no campaign, Road to Legend, expansion) and enjoy what the expansions have added.

Twilight Imperium--4, 6, or 8 players, sweet spot is 6. The game can be played with 3,5, and 7 but there is some setup awkwardness that leaves several players at a severe disadvantage (except 3 player which is just too open a board). Keep in mind that 7 and 8 player requires the expansion as well. This is my favorite game but does require a 4 to 7 hour block of playtime.

Starcraft--2 to 6 players, scales incredibly well for all. This is an interesting game with unusual game mechanics. It may take several plays before you get the full hang of this one. There is an expansion that corrects a few flaws but you can catch the errata on FFG's website as well. A good game but doesn't see much play in my groups.

Tide of Iron--2 or 4 players, sweet spot 2 but 4 makes for some interesting situations as well (armies are split in two, each player on one side conrolling half the army). Has several expansions with the book of scenarios probably being the best. A more complex look at WW2 than Memoir '44, often referred to as Squad Leader lite. Not a perfect consim but the army men are fun!

Also pay attention to some of FFGs mid box size games:
Chaos in the Old World A very excellent 3 to 4 player game.
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game A pseudo-cooperative gaming experience.
Arkham Horror The king of numerous, but not required expansions.

T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:

Vaporware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:

You are an evil, evil person. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Steese
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play a lot of TI, but generally could only get 4 players. The problem with that was that you use the full board, and everyone has too much space to expand, not enough conflict. Still a recommended game, but something you should be aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would choose Descent if you want a semi-cooperative dungeon crawl or Starcraft if you want a multiplayer "wargame". I choose Starcraft over TI3 since TI3 is too long for me. First play with 6 players took 8 hours, second one took twelve! Starcraft really has a lot going for it, a well designed game. Not intuitive though, and expect to struggle a bit when reading the rules and in your first game. Descent is much easier to get into, if that is important to you.

I should note that I haven't played Tide of Iron. I have friends that adore it, but keep in mind that this is more of a two player game really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.