Subject: My First Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Leven
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
On October 8, I played my very first game of Stone Age. It's always an exciting moment when you sit down to play, delicately taking off the shrink wrap (all while trying not to give in to the urge to tear it apart as you might have when you were a child), and taking in that new game smell. Ever so gently we popped the little cardboard pieces out of the packaging and stared in wonder at this new game that we had yet to play.

I played as green while he played as red (our typical colors; I really need more games with purple). As with so many worker placement games, I assumed that more guys early on is usually a good thing. So I headed over to the Love Hut. He focused on farming to decrease food needs. Actually, every single turn someone wound up on farming. I didn't utilize my farming skill enough; by the end of the game I had a pile of food that I hadn't needed. That's why they call the first time around a learning game though, right?

Anyway, the game progressed and I amassed great quantities of resources and food while he went ahead and collected cards and huts. I caught on to this and with my great quantities I began gobbling up everything I could with my guys. He and I were neck and neck for most of the game. Before totaling out cards, we were almost tied. In the end though, he had so many more cards than I did that he won by a good margin.

Overall, it was a great game and I hope to play it many more times to come.

Final Scores:
Me- 192
Him- 220
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice little session report I bought Stone Age just a few days ago and I liked my first game a lot, too.

I am not completely sure as I don´t have the rules with me at the moment, but I think that you can´t accumulate food. It perishes at the end of each round, no matter how much you have, doesn´t it? Maybe I got that wrong, though.

Have fun and keep playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
Thanks for the nice little session report I bought Stone Age just a few days ago and I liked my first game a lot, too.

I am not completely sure as I don´t have the rules with me at the moment, but I think that you can´t accumulate food. It perishes at the end of each round, no matter how much you have, doesn´t it? Maybe I got that wrong, though.

Have fun and keep playing
You can accumulate food as long as you have enough to pay 1 food per meeple at the end of the turn. If you have more farms than meeples, you will get food from the supply at the end of every turn. You won't have anything to use the food for though, so I don't recommend doing that.

If you "eat points" as I call it, you also lose any food you may have. You can't voluntarily lose 10 points and hold on to food for the next round. I'm guessing that's the rule you were thinking of.

For the OP, I think everyone undervalues the cards in their first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.