tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, good to get a video review of my favourite game of the moment.

A lot of people mention length as an issue. First game, probably are looking at 2.5-3h, but after you've got the hang of it (as I often do, I teach myself the ropes solo before spreading influence), I taught my friend and we played the first game in 2h, after 30+ games so far, going past 90 minutes is getting rarer (2-player, either with 1-Hero or 2-Hero).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the combat card system was lifted out of Star Wars CCG. Not that that's bad, as I liked the idea, but not that particular game. Unfortunately(?) when we next have this kind of time, we'll be playing Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
gren doogan wrote:
Nice review, as usual! Looks like a neat game, and as my collection shows, I like FFG, but I find I'm reading (and in your case hearing), "Really neat game, but it won't come out all that often" and, "there's a lot to keep track of" about them a lot. I love their production values, and the fact that their entire staff are ex-DnDers and compy-nerds, but y'know... I wish they'd compromise a little. Stick to your yummy-tasty Ameri-game styles, but make that damn board a little smaller, reduce the time, and streamline a game once in a while. Make an adventure game that won't destroy an entire night, dammit!

And I'm not talking about making a small box game like Cave Troll. Can't the world have a big box adventure game from them that doesn't gather dust? Maybe I just haven't dug deep enough and they have released this. Maybe?

You need to try Chaos in the Old World. It's not an adventure game, but it's quite delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people don't seem to get a buzz off games that take more than 2 hours to play. For me, I want games to last 2-4 hours. If I am settling down to a good nights gaming, I want there to be a flavourful continuity right through the evening and Middle Earth Quest does that for me.

As Rauli said earlier, as you get the rules down, the gameplay becomes quickler, much quicker and this game comes in less than 2 hours each time for us now as well. I find myself wanting extra layers in the game rather than less. I would sooner play one big game than several smaller ones.

PS. I agree, Chaos in the Old world is also a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's interesting to note that MEQ has jumped up in The Hotness since these reviews were posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gren doogan wrote:
Eeevile wrote:
You need to try Chaos in the Old World. It's not an adventure game, but it's quite delicious.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about this one. I've been stalking all the posts about it!

trouvere wrote:
I want games to last 2-4 hours

Don't get me wrong, so do I! I love epic long games, but not everyone else does. I would love an adventure game that is less setup, less downtime, less lengthy, and in turn gets more frequent plays. Plus, being in a small apartment without a giant dining room table, it'd be nice to have a smaller board. I don't think it would be that hard to design one with these conditions. Maybe I want the impossible?

Sounds to me like you want the moon on a stick. Nothing wrong with that, mind; I'll join you in lusting after a lighter adventure game that would appeal to a wider audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice introduction video! Because every aspect of this game ties into another (and everything makes sense together) it's kinda difficult to give a simple overview! So good job

Two things:
1) Cards in the rest pool are discarded face up. You placed them face down in the video. Cards in the damage pool do indeed go face down (straight from the life pool).

2) I believe in the video you said hero players can get 'one or two' extra cards from the skill deck when 'training'. Actually it's only one card per time you train. When a hero receives 'Training' he or she draws 2 card from the skill deck, chooses one and discards the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mighty Greedo
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VIDEO LENGTH : 11:00 minutes
# OF "REALLY"s : 10
# OF "REALLY REALLY"s : 01
AVERAGE PER MINUTE : 01 per minute

This review brings your average down from 4.24 "really"s per minute to 2.77. Well done! I'm really REALLY impressed!

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg White
New Zealand
Upper Hutt, Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Greedo wrote:

This review brings your average down from 4.24 "really"s per minute to 2.77. Well done! I'm really REALLY impressed!

G
you really need to learn how to play nice with the other children
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom. Not many reviews for this game yet...Space Hulk sorta put this into the back pages of BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First and foremost, great review. I appreciate it when video reviews are done on the geek because they really help you to understand the mechanics. Kudos for that, awesome review.

I can't help it, though. I have to point something out. You mentioned that the game takes place between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. That is actually not true. It takes place during the Lord of the Rings (at least the book version) between Bilbo's party and when Frodo ventures out. In the book, that was 17 years.

I can't believe I am pointing this out because I honestly didn't like the books (yeah, I said it, flame on Lord of the Rings lovers). I loved the movies, and that 17 year period is essentially shown as a few days. Peter Jackson did it for pacing, and I totally agree with that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
machosancho wrote:
I can't help it, though. I have to point something out. You mentioned that the game takes place between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. That is actually not true. It takes place during the Lord of the Rings (at least the book version) between Bilbo's party and when Frodo ventures out. In the book, that was 17 years.

I can't believe I am pointing this out because I honestly didn't like the books (yeah, I said it, flame on Lord of the Rings lovers). I loved the movies, and that 17 year period is essentially shown as a few days. Peter Jackson did it for pacing, and I totally agree with that decision.

And Bakshi did it in:

"5. "Seventeen years passed sleepily in the Shire."

As the narrator reads this line, we see a wide view of the Shire from a hilltop; it is winter, and the snow is falling. It dissolves to the same shot, in spring... then the same shot, in summer... and then to fall. A little literal and unnecessary for my taste, but okay. But then - in some bizarre attempt to visually Make Time Fly - they flash-cut through nine more seasons in 1.2 seconds flat. I swear, I started looking around the theatre to see if the flickering seasons onscreen had triggered any neurological seizures. What the hell did they think they were doing, anyway?"

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, I love your video reviews. Keep 'em coming! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greedo wrote:

G

Please use the bandwidth for something useful. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greedo wrote:

G

Several months after, but I personally love the enthusiasm Tom displays for gaming in his videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This wasn't on my radar at all, but since I currently have people who are willing to play AH, TI3, etc., I'm going to have to take a look at this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.