Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to use the Leipzig Debate to exclude from the debate the lone English debater, Tyndale?

Does it have any sense? 18.1 Says that neither player may call a debate in a zone if none of the Protestant debaters have entered the game (or they are burnt, excommunicated or removed from play). Would this action qualify for 'removed from play' and thus avoid calling a debate, even if the removal from play was in effect after calling the debate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you do that? Suppose it is legal (which I don't know). You call the debate, there are no legal debaters, so the debate is cancelled and you just wasted your card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe it is too tricky to be legal.

In my point of view the debate would not be cancelled as there are no grounds for cancellation according to the rules: Tyndale has entered the game, he is not burnt, excommunicated nor removed from play. He is just put aside for this particular debate.

So the protestants could not bring anyone to the debate... easy victory for the Vatican. I guess it really means the debate is cancelled as you point out, but the rules could be tweaked here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. Well, Ed has already ruled that you are not allowed to start a debate in a zone where there are no eligible debaters (e.g. a debate in French before turn 4) so I assume that would extend to not being allowed to use this trick to do essentially the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I guess so, so I didn't do it. Just wanted to reflect that a tweak could be done there.

Thanks for the conversation, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.