Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm building the Skill Trees for the Advanced Campaign, and I'm looking at the marine card "Prepared". Here's the text:

Prepared wrote:
You receive the 3 cancel tokens at the start of the game. You may discard a cancel token whenever the invader player plays an event card in order to cancel the effect of that card. You do not get used cancel tokens back when respawning.

At first, I was thinking this would be a good card for the Officer skill tree, but then I started wondering how this would work during the campaign. How often does the marine get to use these 3 cancel tokens? Once per campaign? Does he refill them after each Sector location? Then what keeps them from abusing this with a blitz-like strategy (i.e. they go into one level, use up all 3 cancels, then just ditch the level)? How do they work in Encounters? etc.

I'm thinking that this card just shouldn't be used in the Advanced Campaign. Thoughts?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could be a powerful ability if you allowed the marine to restock before every sector level, especially since the levels are shorter.

Allowing restock for every location/outpost could be a possibility, but then limit it to 3 tokens for that location, no matter how many times the marines return. But that could lead to it being a weak ability.

A possibility is to have it come into play late in the game, and that will give the invader some troubles in the end of the campaign. If it comes into play late it could be powerful(restock every level or so)

Or it could be offered as a possible purchaseable communications ability specific to a certain location and not something you take with you to other locations. That would mean changing it from a marine card(always equipped) to a location specific ability.

Not sure how to handle encounters on the "overland" map, so maybe dropping it altogether might be the easiest thing to do.

Another thing I am curious about is how you will handle the Medic marine card. Are you making it an upgradeable ability so the medic later in the campaign can heal more than 1 wound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Allowing restock for every location/outpost could be a possibility, but then limit it to 3 tokens for that location, no matter how many times the marines return. But that could lead to it being a weak ability.

I was thinking this would be the way to do it. The Marine would get 3 cancel cards, and to refill them, he would have to go to the Administrations building (one of the outposts on the overland map) to refill. So he could use them at any time, during Sector levels, Encounters, etc, but can only refill them by going back to the Administration building (would probably be the special ability of that Outpost).

As for the Medic card, hrm, I hadn't thought about that one yet. That one might need to be reworked completely, since healing 1 wound isn't that grand, and I wasn't going to have Campaign Levels (like Descent has). The game was just going to slowly progress (i.e. Invader spending Frags, Marines spending Accommodations).

I was also going to introduce MedPacks, similar to Health Tokens that heal 3 wounds but can be used at any time by spending 1 movement point. That really puts a damper on the Medic. Maybe we just increase it to 2 or 3 health points instead of 1? Like a marine that always has a MedPack on him...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the medic ability as it is in the game is wasted. Healing only one wound is just not doing the marine any good at all.
So the solution is upping it to 2 or 3 healed wounds

or

Doing something like you proposed for Prepared.

The medic has a medpack with a given number of "bandaids" and he need to visit a hospital to restock this medpack.
Example: The medic has 10 "bandaids" and can use any number (or maximum 5) of those with the medic order to heal himself or any marine within 3 (?) spaces.
If he has used all 10 "bandaids" he needs to restock before being able to use it again.
The size of this medpack can be upgraded with regards to number of "bandaids" included and over how many spaces he can heal other marines.

Just an idea.

Skimmed through the Road to Legend rules just now and got more exited for this Advanced Doom campaign idea. can't wait too see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Skimmed through the Road to Legend rules just now and got more exited for this Advanced Doom campaign idea. can't wait too see it.

Me too

It's been a long time coming. I started thinking about it earlier this year, and got good work done on the manual, then the summer hit and really derailed me. But I think I'm back on! At least, I hope so

My plan is to get the manual done (which fleshes out most of the rules), post up a PDF of it so people can review/feedback/etc, then start working on the supplimentary materials. That's the *real* hard work, all the maps needed for Sector levels, Encounters, Hell Encounters, Outpost Recoveries, and Avatar levels...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a workload if there ever was one.

If you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
das Helferlein
Germany
flag msg tools
True, true...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I will. I want to flesh all the "rules" out first, get a PDF of that up so people can read/critique, and that's when I'll need a LOT of help, mainly creating all the mission levels (over 40 need to be created, after all).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
How about limiting the use of Med Packs to the Medic completely? The idea of anyone carrying around med packs that you can use for healing at any time can get a bit to OP in my opinion.

Maybe if you keep the healing on the board as it is in the game, using immediately when picked up (these could be represented as "Healing Stations" A la Half Life?), they heal a certain amount immediately and are gone.

The medics special ability would be that he can carry around a number of med packs and use them as needed on anyone, for an MP cost of course.

EDIT: Wait, I guess that's what potions are in Descent, which isn't OP, ah never mind then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom 3 has Health Stations, and I was going to fully implement this in the Advanced Campaign, where each 'level' has at least one Health station with probably 5 Health Tokens on it. A marine needs to be adjacent to the Health Station and spend 1MP to receive one of those Health tokens (up to his max).

As for MedPacks, my only issue with limiting it to the Medic marine is that what happens if none of the marines draw the medic card at the beginning? Then for the first part of the campaign, they won't be able to use MedPacks. So why not just let all marines do it, and then give the Medic his own special ability (which I haven't figured out what they are yet).

Which leads me to another thought: what if we removed the 'random' Marine Card draw from the game altogether and just had each marine decide to start on one particular specialization path? You start one Rank 1 (your choice) Marine Card of that specialization and go from there? That way one marine could always start on the Medic path?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rhodes
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
That would work, as long as the "paths" aren't extremely limited.

In my opinion, I think that letting the prepared card restock after every individual map would work well, however I would cut the number of cancel tokens down to two, and every time the deck reshuffles in a single level, I would give the marine with the prepared card one of them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea we came up with in this thread. One of the special abilities of one of the outposts will be to refill Cancel Tokens back to 3. So a Marine has 3 tokens he can use at any time, including Lieutenant encounters (very important, if we allow Invader Cards during that encounter), and simply restocks to 3 when they visit that outpost.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.