16 Posts

Monsterpocalypse» Forums » Strategy

Subject: man i loose again, help plz... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sunjeev Shukla
msg tools
Hi guys again,

ok had another game and i got pasted i mean it was embarrassing lol and now i have got a tournament to go to and the prize for the tournament is a promo ape from series 4.

So my question is is it worth me buying the strategy guide to help me use my guard as i really do suck or unless someone can tell me pointers would be ace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy guides are nice, but pretty much cover the basics. Not to discourage you picking them up (the maps and reference cards alone make them worth it for me), but they aren't going to transform your game.

I'm not a GUARD player, but I'm willing to try and help. What are you using right now, and what has been killing you in your last few games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunjeev Shukla
msg tools
Thanks mate for the swift reply,

Well i pretty much have the following miniatures:

1 sky snetinal and ultra sky sentinel
1 ultra leginare and morphers
4 g-tanks
1 rocket chopper
2 fuel trucks
5 g1 striker fighter
4 elite g1 striker fighter
2 anti air craft
2 elite anti aircraft
1 mobile centre
1 repair vehicle
2 ion cannon tank
1 elite ion cannon

And the army that keeps beating me is shadow sunsyndicate and he uses the ultra-zor macros and morphers and he seems to always beat me with that annoying cloak ability so my shooting becomes obselete.

Any advice like what buildings i should use and what kind of tactics i would be really greatful.

Thank you again bud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Sky Sentinel (based on your last cry for help) is an exercise in patience. You'll need to learn how to properly screen your monster. Meaning, positioning SS in such a way that the enemy monster cannot get aligned to power attack you. SS is a pure ranged monster, and relies on the G1 fighters to do all of the attacking. Stay away from the enemy monster.

Also, pay attention to the abilities the enemy monster has. Beat Back on the blast is probably the most dangerous, as it can send you into a building (or two if you're not careful) from 5-7 squares away. Anything that boosts damage is also a key to watch out for (Weapon master, Crunch, etc). Tow (and to a lesser extent Telekenisis) can remove your screening units, leaving you open for a power attack.

Focus on your position first. Ask yourself, if I'm thrown (or smashed, or Body slammed), what can I end up hitting? Never set yourself up in line with two adjacent foundations (i.e. where you'll hit both buildings), or in line with a series of buildings (where you can be smashed) if you can avoid it. If you do end up aligning with a building (either in a throw fashion or a body slam), make sure it's only one, and preferably a non-hazard forming building at that. You'll want to minimize your incoming damage potential first.

Along with that, use your G1s to damage the enemy monster, for sure, and if possible, also disrupt his power base. You won't even need to attack his units to do this, just get next to buildings he's securing so he's no longer securing them. No secured buildings will hamper his P-dice production, making power attacks less likely.

Conversely, secure your power base. Something with subsidize (Either Gov't building or Statue of Liberty) is great to boost the power up rolls. The Statue of Liberty also stacks some great abilities, too. Use your tanks for this, as they'll be DEF5 against blast attacks (due to cover).

You're going to want a nice, steady damage output. One damage from SS and 1-2 Damage from the G1s. Don't get greedy with the die rolls. If you can make the 2 unit attacks, go for it, but one definite damage is going to be better than 2 missed unit attacks.

Your opponent may leave themselves open for a power attack. Be careful before you jump in to take advantage of it, there may be an even more powerful counterattack awaiting you. If you're sure there's no counter, go for it, but be ready to get back into a screened position quickly. Sky Sentinel cannot survive trading power attacks.

Keep a repair vehicle nearby, like maybe as part of your screen, and preferably a second one unspawned. The unspawned one will be handy if your main RV is towed away by an errant Pteradactix.

It's going to be a game of patience for you. 1 damage on your monster turn, 1-2 damage (and one heal) on your unit turn. A slow war of attrition will get you there eventually. Doing three damage every turn cycle and healing one is a four point health swing that your opponent must find a way to out-damage. Make him work for it, don't hand it to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Against Shadow Sun, you've got to get rid of his cloak. The Shadow Gates have low defense, so sparing one G1 to get up close and shoot isn't a bad idea.

Also, "splashing" in an off-faction unit, like a Marauder (with explosion) is also a good candidate for taking out clumps of units, since the explosion doesn't care if they're screened or not, you only need to be able to shoot one of the units. Plus, the explosion can also damage his monster if it's adjacent as well.

Another dirty trick is to use your fuel trucks as mobile bombs. Park them next to a unit you attack with explosion, and they'll explode, too, spreading the firball that much further.

Another good "splash" unit would be a pteradactix, for the exact reasons I spell out above in trying to avoind them. You can remove screening units, or even tow away that slow, speed 2 Shadow Gate. It's still on the board, so he can't respawn it, and it'll take some time to move it back into position. Well worth the extra A-die to spawn it.

Shadow Sun has no healing access, so remember what I say above about the war of attrition. Power base disruption against SSS works well, too. Your Ion Cannon can be a good way to make him waste P-dice when you knock him out of his Hyper form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunjeev Shukla
msg tools
Thank you so much! that has really helped me, ive been playing very aggressive with SS and by the sounds of it ive gone around this the wrong way and got to get use to screening my units more and yes because im not 100% sure know if im doing is correct i get impateint because im worrying about my opponent out classing me again.

But your advice has been golden thank you so much!

EDIT: Also his main and morphers have cloak which throw me off and make it harder to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, sounds like someone else has much better advice than I can conjure up. But I'll add 2c anyway...

strigoi1983 wrote:
Thank you so much! that has really helped me, ive been playing very aggressive with SS and by the sounds of it ive gone around this the wrong way and got to get use to screening my units more and yes because im not 100% sure know if im doing is correct i get impateint because im worrying about my opponent out classing me again.

Some monsters reward aggression, some don't. Sky Sentinel is one of those "don't" ones.

strigoi1983 wrote:
Also his main and morphers have cloak which throw me off and make it harder to hit.

Cloak is a nice ability, but your G1's should be fast enough to get to range 2 where they need to be. And the morphers' defenses are low enough that you can try for 2 unit attacks per turn with some chance of success.

I think only one of the morphers has Cloak, as well, so you can try to scare him into splitting the morphers up. A swarm of attacking G1's might be enough, or you could splash an Explosion-equipped unit if he keeps his own units nearby as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:

I think only one of the morphers has Cloak, as well, so you can try to scare him into splitting the morphers up. A swarm of attacking G1's might be enough, or you could splash an Explosion-equipped unit if he keeps his own units nearby as well.

Yeah, only one of Macros' morphers has cloak (and it's Red). If he keeps his morhpers clumped, that's a good time to power attack him. It's much harder to screen the 4 individual morphers, since you can get alignment on one square. Any power attack that moves the opponent into another morpher is going to do 3 damage. 1 for the attack, and one each for the collision between the morphers.

The 5 DEF on the morphers alpha form is an easy shot with the G1s, even more so if you've got a Rocket Chopper nearby for Spotter. With only 5 health on the Alpha, that can be a one turn cycle kill (3 on the monster with a power attack as noted above, and 2 on the unit with 3 G1s and a Spotter). It's the Hyper form you've got to worry about. 7DEF, cloak, Weapon master (power) and Lightning Attack (Brawl).

Also, try to hold back 2 A-dice on your monster pool. That way, if he ever gives you an opening, you can move and power attack with your monster. Especially against the Alpha form. Once he goes hyper, turtle up behind screens and go to a gun battle with him. He has no blast triggers on his hyper, and no extra damage. You have healing and he doesn't, so he really can't hurt you at all if you're screened against his hyper. Just whittle away at his with your G1s until he gets impatient and leaves himself open for a coup-de-grace power attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew already set you up, but something to look out for:

If he places a building on your side of the map, then see if it has the Underground Network symbol (looks like a house with a "u" in it). If he does, then destroy it immediately. It allows him to teleport SS units from a similar building next to that one.

You don't need him hitting you from the inside.

As others have said, play defensive with Sky Sentinel. Power attacks are fun and very attractive, but almost all of them involve you getting close. Too close.

You are much better off sitting there with a full power dice pool and leaving him nervous about getting close. If he does get close, then you have enough dice to do two monster activations in a row.

If you are having trouble hitting his monster with your G1's, then send some after any buildings he has captured. You are playing for the long term-- if you can neuter his long term capabilities, then you will have an advantage.

Oh, and have fun!

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The buildings with underground Network are the Skyscrapers from Block 1 (Tall building, blue windows) and the Hotel from Block 2 (Grey pointy-top building, Yellow Windows)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So? How'd it all work out? Did the advice help you any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunjeev Shukla
msg tools
Hi again,

i did lose again but not brutally it was merely luck of the dice and just unlucky the way i arranged the buildings i took 5 points of damage in the 3rd turn as both of us were very defensive, which put me on to hyper form.

But i did screen my sentinel after the error and reduce him to 3 on alpha and 2 on hyper.

which is better then i was doing before, because i was hit so hard on turn 3 but was clawing it back.

i was facing cthul, so the advice did help i didn't know what screening meant till you guys explained it to me so yes it has helped. but saying i did win a game which i absouloutly massicred the swarm which were the new faction so i was very pleased with that result.

also off topic i just got the empire of the apes to and they look like great fun.

The person i play against and lose to all the time is a very clever and strategic person who spends quite a long time thinking of actions and consequences, what ever game be it warhammer or munchkin he plays very tactical.

also got a tournament coming up where i can win mega king kondo.

Thanks again guys you have been very nice to help me out when i needed assistance, and has helped alot so thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other quick tip I'd give with Sky Sentinel is don't be afraid to run far away and try to get a better position. You move very quickly and can pretty much land anywhere you want in a couple of turns. Your opponent likely won't be able to say the same. Use that to your advantage.

The not so quick tip is something that I am still learning. The game does truly begin after the first roll to see who goes first and picks the map. Selecting where to put your buildings is really important. Also, be prepared to put a less useful building on your opponents side of the map or for him to do so to you. If your opponent has an Imperial State building don't let him put a radar array or oil refinery right next to it. He can use three units to get both. Put something less useful to him there. If he isn't Shadowsun Syndicate put a Skyscraper there.

If he does secure a couple of great buildings it is also possible to fly a single G1 Strike Fighter grunt next to his buildings so that he doesn't have them secure. He'll have to fight you which means he isn't doing other things. For two dice he might have to spend more than two to deal with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try fighting Cthul with Sky Sentinal, nine times out of ten it feels like you are on a hiding to nowhere. Especially if your opponant uses that damn cockroach Yasheth.

I have never managed to beat him yet with SS, he is almost the perfect foil. If you stay back and shoot, he just runs away and meat slaves back to health. And if you chase him you risk counter attacks, or more annoyingly, getting caught in a shower of spitter goo, and helping the sod heal.

Combine leach, vampirism, and meat slaves, and Yasheth can heal damage just about as fast as Sky Sentinal, and his forces can dish it out. I've been trying for the better part of a year to beat Yasheth with SS, to no avail.

(Normally I believe in trying until I succeed, but today I caved, and kicked the roach's butt with Laser Knightdevil )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunjeev Shukla
msg tools
FINALLY!!!

i beat the guy who plays Shadowsun with his dirty cloaking ability and skyscraper abilties damn the battle lasted for ages at least 3 hours!

the match was amazing was great fun not only that we both realized how desperate the match up was going. The cool thing was we both took our tournament armies to practice with it was sky sentinel vs ultra-zor-macros.

I took pretty much all the advice everyone gave me and played screening really well and never left my quarters just using my long range to pop the skyscrapers so he had to work for his movement.

He even asked me "when did i get good" and i laughed and said a few guys from boardgamegeek offered ace advice.

but when the battle settled to wind down to the end the score was:

ME
Alpha: 1
Hyper: 5

HIM:
Alpha:0
Hyper:2

Then he conceded because it was my unit phase and he was swarmed by my choppers and g1's and he knew they end came close.

SO AGAIN THANK YOU GUYS YOUR ALL LEGENDS!!!

this couldn't come at a better time as i got a tournament on friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news. Tournament play is going to be different, as I'm sure you're playing against a time limit. So, obviously, you're not going to be able to drag a match out for 3 hours. But now you know the tactics you'll need to use to win.

Good luck on Friday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.