Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Newland
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Ninja Vanish!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking through the weapons I see alot of the same thing. A surge gets you more damage or more range. That's fine and all but where is the flavor? I was hoping for something like a undead slayer sword that would give +1 to undead or a demon killing sword that would give you +2 to demons. Maybe some kind of armor that would say, negate 2 damage from dragons and giants attacks and call it Dragon's Bane armor or something like that. A beast killer, an axe that does more damge to beastmen and other beast type guys. Heck what about a flaming sword that does burn damage? Is there something like these it later expansions? Has anyone else thought about this? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the quests have special weapons that you use, e.g. the relics that work somewhat like you speak of. It's usually quest specific though. Like "in this quest only this can hurt that monster". Can't speak for the later expansions as I don't have them (yet! :))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
eroc1024 wrote:
Looking through the weapons I see alot of the same thing. A surge gets you more damage or more range. That's fine and all but where is the flavor? I was hoping for something like a undead slayer sword that would give +1 to undead or a demon killing sword that would give you +2 to demons. Maybe some kind of armor that would say, negate 2 damage from dragons and giants attacks and call it Dragon's Bane armor or something like that. A beast killer, an axe that does more damge to beastmen and other beast type guys. Heck what about a flaming sword that does burn damage? Is there something like these it later expansions? Has anyone else thought about this? Thanks.

Nope, the weapons all follow the basic generic template. A themed weapon would completely suck if it happened to come up in a dungeon where there were almost none of the corresponding monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
eroc1024 wrote:
Heck what about a flaming sword that does burn damage? Is there something like these it later expansions? Has anyone else thought about this? Thanks.

I own all the expansions, I can't recall any specifically but I'm sure there's weapons that causes burn...........or bleed.........or stun........etc.

They don't have weapons that do additional effects (like bonus damage) to certain creatures because that would be too limited in effectiveness and just add another "thing" that you have to keep track of. With the base game plus all three of the "normal" expansions, you've got 25 different creatures. Assuming that all creatures appear equally (which they definitely don't), your special weapon would only get it's bonus against 4% of the creatures you encounter. Then you have to figure that there's going to be a bunch of quests where there aren't even any of "any given monster" anyway. Finally, since combat in Descent is so quick, most monsters already die from a single hit anyway, so most of the time it wouldn't even matter that you're doing a couple more points of damage cuz the target is already dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, bonuses against specific monster types is a bad idea. High complexity, inconsistent power, very small payoff in terms of added tactical depth.

They do include a few special effects on various weapons--there's a handful of weapons with distinctive abilities like Stun or Blast--though they could certainly have done more. I tried to make more interesting and memorable weapons in The Enduring Evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavigne
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:
Nope, the weapons all follow the basic generic template. A themed weapon would completely suck if it happened to come up in a dungeon where there were almost none of the corresponding monster.

I think this is the chief problem here, compounded by the facts that, a) the monsters aren't definitivly categorized in the base game and b) the Overlord can essentially choose what monsters to reinforce his dungeon with. "Oh, the heroes have undead-slaying weapons? I'll just play my other spawn cards then."

I could see it perhaps being added to Road to Legend or Sea of Blood type campaigns, where all the monsters are grouped into three broad categories, but I'm not sure I'd want to see it happen even then. It would suck to have the Overlord spend his XP upgrading his beast creatures only to have the Heroes go "Oh, okay, we'll use all these anti-beast weapons then".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esbjörn Rundberg
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I don't see any use of monster specific weapons, I'd like to see some flavour text on them. I'd say generally more flavour on all cards to add to the theme. (This is also true for Runebound weapons, in the same way as the encounters have a short flavour text).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.