Starting location: Inn

Starting Spells:
Transform, Talk to Wise Bird, Remedy

Victory requirements:
2 points in Fame for 20 Fame
3 points in Notoriety for 60 Notoriety
plus 10 gold for starting gold

Strategy:
Hire some rogues at the Inn and together kill transformed monsters for fame and notoriety.

Adventure:
I counted my meager 10 gold coins before attempting to hire some of the rogues at the Inn. My gold didn't seen to interest them at all the first day. The next day three rogues agreed to move their lazy butts and go along for some adventure. We grew closer together during our three day journey across some valley and a woodsland, finally arriving at the Deep Woods.

I anticipated showing my spell casting abilities to my new friends and rushed into the woods. The Lost Castle was revealed with lots of chances for monsters showing up. In the back of the woods we also discovered the site of the cairns, a nice looting place! Traipsing stealthily through the woods we neared the cairns. We set up camp for the night, preparing our weapons and spells. Two heavy armored serpents showed up not far from us. Hmm, a bit too much for the likes of us. Fortunately a tremendous spider all alone happened to cross our clearing, time for action! My alerted spell transformed the spider into a bird which was neatly cut down by the rogues. The first victory was ours and we slept very well that night.

Next day we decided not to fool around the cairns and risk the heavy armored serpents from sniffing us out. Across some woodsland we entered the Ledges. We were lucky to discover the pool close by and dreamed about it that last uneventful night of the first week.

Before setting off towards the pool I took a day to rest and prepare my transform spell. It proved to be a wise decision as that night a Giant wandered over to our sleeping place. The giant was soon transformed into a lion, not my first thought. Fortunately my rogues could handle him easily. This evening activity meant one more day of meditation and preparation of spells. Another giant turned up! This time the giant became a squirrel and was smashed to pieces. Another day of meditation and preparation ahead but the fame and notoriety was just coming towards us. That evening nothing happened.

At day 11 it was time for looting the pool. Our first day of searching was not providing us the location of the pool but rewarded us with a nice octopus to slaughter. Next evening a giant bat fell to the transform spell, but this meant there would be more bats eventually. I had to make hast but also prepare my defenses. Luckily that evening was uneventful so I could turn my attention next day to further searching for the pool. Two weeks were over and I still didn't find the location of the pool. A second octopus showed up instead, adding to our fame and notoriety.

Next day one rogue packed his belongings and left the group during my spell preparation. That evening I was confronted with two giant bats with only two of my friends left. This could be dangerous. I quickly transformed one of the bats into a frog, leaving the other for the rogues. The bat killed one of the rogues, leaving one bat and one rogue (and me) for the next round. As always in the magic realm some risky situation arises. My last rogue was lucky to kill the bat the next round while I focused on the frog. Eventually it took us two more rounds to corner the frog and call it a day.

Day 16 my last rogue left me. I cautiously hid myself and rested somewhat. Next day I hid again during my spell preparations. Two uneventful nights passed. Pondering the situation I decided to secretly loot the pool until other monsters would show up. That day I finally found the pool and started to loot. I found a withered claw and a flying carpet. I would have loved to fly with it but that evening three giant bats forced me to abandon it fleeing to the nut woods.

What to do next? I was alone again without any money to hire some more rogues and a little over a week to go. Back to the cairns then and try my luck. Hiding and sneaking I finally found the cairns and looted power gauntlets from it the first day. The next day the boot was the beast pipes and the black book, wonderful! Calculating my fame and notoriety I needed only to sell the beast pipes and the power gauntlet to fulfill my victory requirements. Thus I took two days to sneak my way to the guard and sell them the stuff. The last three days I spend basking in the sun and hiding during the night, taking no risk to get killed with victory in my hands.

The month was ended with 1 great treasure, 32 fame, 60 notoriety and 13 gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up. The Magician is hands-down one of my favorite characters in Magic Realm, but so often he's got more potential than actual success. Just out of curiosity do you know what your final VP score was? Did your various scores translate into a positive VP score at the end of the game? With careful play you should be able to survive the month, but that doesn't always mean a positive score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to get a solo win with the Magician for months, he has lots of potential, but sure is frustrating. So far I have two strategies, the first involving Transform, Fiery Blast or Lightning Bolt and Remedy, head to the mountains, find a good tile, enchant to Purple and Loot and kill.

The second is one mentioned here earlier, Absorb Essence, Elemental Spirit and Remedy, get to a good tile, enchant it, and absorb a Tremendous monster.

So far, I've come close, but no win.

Did you use Talk to Wise Bird?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often have trouble getting one-month wins with the magic-using characters I find most interesting (Wizard, Magician). Sometimes, if I come up short but the game is just starting to get interesting, I'll just extend the game a month, adding the extra VP requirements.

Lately, I've been trying to play the Druid and getting quite frustrated. With his Peace With Nature ability, he should have the easiest time treasure-hunting. Either I don't find good sites soon enough, or they don't yield lucrative enough booty, or finding his friends or allies takes too long.

Talk to Wise Bird: It sounds like it might be useful for searching the board, particularly since I will usually enchant at least one woods tile to create a shortcut thereby providing gold magic. But I've come to the conclusion that the time spent resting from casting it repeatedly is better spent moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herman van Wietmarschen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yo answer Peter, yes this game ended with a positive victory point score. I succeeded in getting enough fame notoriety and get the spend gold back.

This game I actually forgot to use Talk to Wise bird. Usually I use it at least once in the beginning of the game because it costs no extra actions. The only disadvantage is that you have fatigued shits afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I am jealous. I never won a solo game with the Magician. I don't use any optional rules. I wonder if any would help and not feel like cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.