Subject: John Foster's 1677 Map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Look forward to the game. Trust you folks have seen John Foster's map of New England in 1677? It has small numbers next to the Puritan villages, referring to a key hwich describes attacks in KP's War. Very sobering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Map Here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, Brad. It was one of the first maps I worked with. Thanks for offering it, Jeff. Unfortunately it's distortions did not lend itself to easy transferral of locations. And although it was rich in place names. I found no similar sources for the surrounding colonies, likewise the location of Native American villages is no longer extant. On the other hand, by cross referencing all of the contemporary and current maps I could find, I did establish approximate locations for tribal locations and I believe I have included most of the more established English settlements in the four colonies involved. Understanding that many settlements would have been located close to one another, in some cases several settlements were combined into one for purposes of gameplay. So far, I've had no complaints from the New Englanders who have looked over our playtest map. As soon as the final map is completed we'll put it up for perusal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Poniske wrote:
So far, I've had no complaints from the New Englanders who have looked over our playtest map. As soon as the final map is completed we'll put it up for perusal.

I'm a New Englander who would like to see the map.

I have got to say it was disorienting to look at that map, though I suppose the orientation makes sense given the prominence of the Mass bay colonies. By that map I grew up in Pocasset, which would be modern day Tiverton and Little Compton.

EDIT: To fix ye olde spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yup, that's it. When you correlate the number of villages with attacks/massacres/etc...as indicated by the small numbers, you are struck by how terrible that war was. One interesting thing on that map which I hadn't noticed until pointed out to me, did you see the two little Indian figures with guns emerging from the woods near the coast up in Maine? I, too, am a New Englander who lives on the map--not far from where those two Indians are. The history of our town and region is replete with stories of attacks and massacres--lots of markers, place names, and enduring stories. Look forward to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Loyer
France
flag msg tools
mb
Any AAR of the game or can we see some map and early counters ?
I'm interested by the subject too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

We appreciate your interest. I'm waiting on the current playtest files. When I get them we'll post ... if Adam doesn't do so before I do. I don't know if any of you realized it (he didn't when he took on this project) but Adam tells me that one of his Starkweather ancestors married a daughter of Metacomet (King Philip)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ouch! Before or AFTER the unpleasantness? I assume it was before, so what happened after? Talk about having issues with your in-laws! It is an interesting thing, though, because those English Puritans didn't really do much intermarrying with the Indians. I have an ancestor in New France who married an Indian woman, but that was very common there. So, is this game in some way addressing some familial guilt--sort of like Hawthorne writing the Scarlet Letter to make some amends for an ancestor? And while I'm thinking of the period, have you read Mary Rowlandson's account of her captivity during this time? Really gripping, even if not as bloody as Hannah Duston's somewhat later story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The French would have been far more likely to consider interracial marriage than would the English. The French were on much better footing with Native Americans (Jesuits aside). The French had extensive trade relations and considerably better cultural understanding of the American tribes a marked contrast to the English whose relations tended to be land oriented and antagonistic. No, I haven't read the account,Bradley, what is the title of the memoir?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Here is the e-text on Gutenberg to her account, http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/851 . You might find it useful as she moves a lot from Indian village to village and possibly gives some indications as to where they were. If nothing else, you get a good glimpse into their side of the war. It is pretty gripping. Hannah Duston, though, was another matter entirely. Captured in her home, saw her infant killed, dragged up the Merrimack towards Canada, she and two others--a boy and another woman--killed their captors on an island above Concord, NH, scalped them, took a canoe and made it back to Haverhill where, unsurprisingly, she was regarded as a great hero. Very tough times and people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I had heard about Project Gutenburg, Bradley. This has been my first real introduction to it. Yes I will pursue it. Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Loyer
France
flag msg tools
mb
Nice map !!! Red circle colony, Black indian Settlements, and white ?
From the the cover box, was the Pike the most use weapon by the colonists or Flintlock ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
English colonists did use pikes, but they would hardly have been the weapon of choice in the rough forest conditions of New England. You might find the following excerpt taken from http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/king_philip.htm interesting.

King Philip's War was the first conflict in which the Indians had modern flintlock firearms. This proved an important advantage because some of the American militias were only equipped with matchlocks and pikes, and because the Indians were excellent marksmen…. Wilderness conditions accentuated the flintlock musket's advantages. By 1675 nearly every colony required its militiamen to own flintlocks rather than matchlocks: American armies thus completed this transition a quarter of a century before European armies. A war scare with the Dutch had led to 23 May 1666 amendments to stiffen weapons-owning requirements in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and to clarify (restated on 7 October 1674) that the Major General was responsible for supervising non-regimental companies. The modernization of weaponry continued on 10 October 1666 when body armor for pikemen was ruled unnecessary, and, in a key step which placed the colony well ahead of contemporary European armies, on 24 May 1677, after the bloody experience of King Philip's War, when every soldier was required to own a flintlock firearm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
A terrific book on the differing concepts of warfare between the English and Native Americans is The Skulking Way of War. Forget who wrote it, but his idea is that the English had guns, but no concept of individual, man-to-man warfare, while the Indians had the idea, but needed the weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Florent, the white circles represent neutral villages which ultimately side with the British. Allied Indians trickle in arbitrarily.

Bradley, the author is Patrick Malone - good book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Wanted to post about the new map. None of my business, of course, but for what it is worth, I wish the English and Indian villages had a period feel--like the Foster map above, or even more realistic. I feel like point to point maps work like abstracted overlays and the underlying physical geography gets lost. Because of that, if the symbols are abstracted as well it is even more of a disconnect between game and history/theme. No offense meant here, and, of course, just my pov. Brad F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
bfletcher wrote:
Wanted to post about the new map. None of my business, of course, but for what it is worth, I wish the English and Indian villages had a period feel--like the Foster map above, or even more realistic. I feel like point to point maps work like abstracted overlays and the underlying physical geography gets lost. Because of that, if the symbols are abstracted as well it is even more of a disconnect between game and history/theme. No offense meant here, and, of course, just my pov. Brad F

That is a good point. Perhaps longhouses and stockades and keep circles for neutral areas? If you need to color code anything put a circle around the appropriate symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally, I like the idea, and I will discuss it with Adam and Mark. However, we are pretty far down the pike at this point so I'm not sure if additional artwork will be forthcoming ... on the other hand ... you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.