Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: SHOCK....HORROR ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wtf? [+] [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

We have been playing SH with 5 SM because that is how many were in the box.

Now I read that there are 10 cry This is truely a sad revelation.

It was bad enough that some minis were broken, but I really did not expect this.

I suppose I took it that there were 5 since my nephew said that his friend also had 5.

Honestly I could kick myself for not checking the list first, but because of the broken bits,I concentrated on trying to fix those.

Well, this must be a real weird turn-around. Why ? Because when we played the game we won three missions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's strange that you only have five Space Marines, considering that 10 of them come on one sprue, and only 2 on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Magalhães
Brazil
Olinda
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
Come on! It's Sci-Fi!
badge
Get Your Finger Out of My Face!! =D
mbmbmbmbmb
Very strange... Counting with the C.A.T, 3, but one incomplete...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Honestly I could kick myself for not checking the list first, but because of the broken bits,I concentrated on trying to fix those.

Maybe space marines aren't supposed to have two heads and four arms.

(though I hear they do have two hearts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow .. so, all this time, you managed not to look on the back of the mission book, which showed 11 of the Space Marines; managed not to read the box contents on page 4 of the rulebook, where the first thing listed is: 12 Space Marine Terminators; managed not to read the back of the box, which mentions there are 12 Space Marine models; managed not to read the 12 Space Marine bios on pages 42-45 of the mission book; managed not to notice that Mission 3 calls for two squads of Space Marines (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you said you've only played three missions, although I find it extremely implausible you wouldn't read all the missions ahead of time, with their numerous mentions of two squads); and missed the countless references to multiple squads of Space Marines in these very forums (which I know you read, because you're always mentioning your woes).

Yes, I'm sure all this happened. Right.

Pull the other one!

Edit: Whoops, the back of the Mission book leaves off the Librarian; however, the picture on the back of the box shows all 12 Space Marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Magalhães
Brazil
Olinda
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
Come on! It's Sci-Fi!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
elfrododumbo wrote:

Maybe space marines aren't supposed to have two heads and four arms.

(though I hear they do have two hearts)

Oh my god!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Well, it is true. As I mentioned time and time again, some minis were detached from their frame and when I looked at the broken bits, I more or less sorted which piece belonged to a SM.

There was a sprue frame than had a few odds and ends that did not seem to belong to the "completed" SM. In the case of the GS, the damaged ones were easier to identify becaise the broken bits were at the bottom of the box and the other ones that had minor damage were still on their frame.

I will have to get in touch with GW yet again. I phoned them up three times about the damaged minis and they had no record of my e-mails or previous phone calls when they had asked me for my address. I was told on each occasion that the damaged minis would arrive within a week. Still waiting ! However, it never occured to me that the weird looking SM frames were meant to hold 10 of them.

When I read a post about 10 SM I was honestly dumbfounded. I actually did ask the question about there being 10 SM in one post and thought that the answer was a joke.

I never played SH before and this one is not mine. I was simply asked to assemble and paint them. I unsealed the box and my nephew was there at the time. I told him not to worry because I would fix the damaged minis. But this is revelation has taken me by complete surprise and I am terribly upset about it.

We actually played the game using 5 SM and, believe it or not, won Mission 2 quite "easily". The Broodlord has not been beaten and I now wonder if he will ever be with 5 SM !

I still have the sprues in a box (I never throw anything away) along with the crumbled GS bits and the red SM pegs, but there are no other bits that I can put together because they do not look compatible with the rest of the other bits. They are red and I assume that they should belong to SM, but no way are they attached to their frames....more like tiny bits of a jigsaw puzzle.

It seems that the ones I assempled (apart from the broken pegs and a few other little bits) seem OK now. Some GS are most def. damaged. In the case of the latter, I used a little plastic cement to form their missing arms or whatever. It is more or less an acceptable botched up job, but it does not prevent play. But to now find that 5 SM are completely un-assembleable (is there such a word ?) will require major detective work, not to say also major surgery !

On my word of honour I am missing 5 SM.

Regards.

PS: When I buy a game, I always check the components list. In this case, the mess in the box must have thriwn me off doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
milgate wrote:
Wow .. so, all this time, you managed not to look on the back of the mission book, which showed all 12 Space Marines; managed not to read the box contents on page 4 of the rulebook, where the first thing listed is: 12 Space Marine Terminators; managed not to read the back of the box, which mentions there are 12 Space Marine models; managed not to read the 12 Space Marine bios on pages 42-45 of the mission book; managed not to notice that Mission 3 calls for two squads of Space Marines (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you said you've only played three missions, although I find it extremely implausible you wouldn't read all the missions ahead of time, with their numerous mentions of two squads); and missed the countless references to multiple squads of Space Marines in these very forums (which I know you read, because you're always mentioning your woes).

Yes, I'm sure all this happened. Right.

Pull the other one!

Bill, I am not a liar. Want on earth would I gain ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Magalhães
Brazil
Olinda
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
Come on! It's Sci-Fi!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax,

You only have to contact Games Workshop customer support til they have replacement parts.

By Phone
Customer Services: 1-800-394-4263
- Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST

By Mail
Games Workshop Customer Services
6711 Baymeadow Drive
Glen Burnie, MD 21060-6401
USA

By e-mail
Custserv@games-workshop.com

If possible try to send pictures, one german geek need to send broken miniatures to them, but i guess one picture is enough.

Good luck meeple=)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally can't see how you could NOT check the list once you saw the sprue with the missing pieces, but…

At any rate, if all else fails and you can't get replacement, there are always fitting terminators to buy separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing I always do, regardless of whether token sheets, sprues and whatnot are complete, is check the components list in the rulebook to see if things match up. Hopefully, if there is an error in the rulebook listing, I've read about it on BGG beforehand cool .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a terrible coincidence that a person with both an unusually low level of previous knowledge about space hulk and an unusually poor eye for detail would not only decide that a 99 dollar game was a safe purchase, but then be cursed with the most bizarre and extreme packaging error I have ever heard of regarding this product. Did you buy it used? From a guy in an alley?

R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Evans
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Run and call Games Workshop before the mob starts grabing pitchforks, shovels and torches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
PS: When I buy a game, I always check the components list. In this case, the mess in the box must have thriwn me off doing so.

From the sound of it, there must have been a hell of a mess in that box - which should mean you deffo check the components list. You've complained before about the broken figures and lack of quality, and it seems to me that the box must have been opened and messed up before you got to it.
And your nephews friends has got 5 Space Marines? Hmm, did your nephew and his friend open it up before you got there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not 10 marines, there are 12 - you are missing 7!

Considering the difficulty some people had getting the marines out of the sprues, I find it difficult to believe over half of your marines weren't in the sprue. And considering you also have 50% damaged genestealers and the game arrived in a black bin bag, it sounds to me like you were sent a copy that had been opened at some point and pieces had been removed. Well worth getting in contact with Amazon as well, as they are at fault here for their shoddy packing.

By the way - mission 2 only uses 5 marines, but they are different marines to mission 1. Also, the broodlord isn't used in that mission, so you may want to check up on how you are playing some of the missions.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
it sounds to me like you were sent a copy that had been opened at some point and pieces had been removed. Well worth getting in contact with Amazon as well, as they are at fault here for their shoddy packing.

+1

Now, I've been shorted a sprue or two in GW products in the past, but they've always put me right straight away.

There are two Marine sprues: one has the Librarian, the CAT and an arm, the other has 10 1/2 Marines.

While it is possible, if unlikely, a piece or two may have fallen off in the factory, over half a sprue's contents being gone is inconceivable.

I *have* in the past heard rumours of unscrupulous sellers selling a raft of "new" GW product with bits removed in order to effectively gather a full set for free, knowing GW will pick up the slack, but I never believed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can you post the photos of the sprues? i am amazed about the amount of damage the box must have sustained. The front cover illustration should have been mashed beyond any recognition.

And a mad delivery boy must have been jumping on it for an hour to get rid of the frustration that he missed the internet preorder. I cant imagine it happening any other way.

GW sloppiness or post incompetence of unheard scale? Really no idea. Post the photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, when I opened my box, one SM was popped out of the "10" figure sprue and floating around loose, so I suppose it's possible that more might have been so separated in someone else's box. The thing is though that it was obvious in my case that the guy had popped out and he was easily found. In the OP's case, it seems almost a certainty that these 5 to 7 SMs were removed by someone prior to the OP getting the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
FWIW, when I opened my box, one SM was popped out of the "10" figure sprue and floating around loose, so I suppose it's possible that more might have been so separated in someone else's box. The thing is though that it was obvious in my case that the guy had popped out and he was easily found. In the OP's case, it seems almost a certainty that these 5 to 7 SMs were removed by someone prior to the OP getting the box.

As each marine comes in at least three pieces, it is the only logical explanation - One piece might pop out, but for every piece of seven different models to be missing is suspect, especially if the pieces that were left in the sprue just happened to be exactly the pieces required to build the other five.

I mean, if bits had genuinely fallen off, you would expect to have a mismatched collection of pieces remaining, making it impossible to build certain models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I must say that I dont believe a word you are saying.
I mean come on, that story just seems so made up. Theres a million pictures of the minis and they are all different, so after all this time, assembling and playing you havent noticed that you are missing half of them until now? plz.

You want duplicates from GW for free or what? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he is the victim of fraud.He bought his copy from a reseller on Amazon that shipped it to him in a plastic garbage bag. According to his original post, the pieces were completely smashed. Everyone mocked him then, also, because nobody believed the box could suffer that much damage. I agree with Slev - some crooked 40k player with a blood angel army bought a few copies, cannibalized a few bits from each of them, then smashed the rest of the bits to cover his tracks knowing GW would probably replace them no questions asked.

If he wanted free figures from GW, there are lot less complicated ways of going about it than a month long, multi-thread hoax on a Website that GW is not connected to in any official capacity...

This really sucks for Gordon, but keep in mind that even though this disaster was not GWs fault, they are probably going to make it right. Just have some patience and diplomacy.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pear Annoyed wrote:
I think he is the victim of fraud.He bought his copy from a reseller on Amazon that shipped it to him in a plastic garbage bag. According to his original post, the pieces were completely smashed. Everyone mocked him then, also, because nobody believed the box could suffer that much damage. I agree with Slev - some crooked 40k player with a blood angel army bought a few copies, cannibalized a few bits from each of them, then smashed the rest of the bits to cover his tracks knowing GW would probably replace them no questions asked.

If he wanted free figures from GW, there are lot less complicated ways of going about it than a month long, multi-thread hoax on a Website that GW is not connected to in any official capacity...

This really sucks for Gordon, but keep in mind that even though this disaster was not GWs fault, they are probably going to make it right. Just have some patience and diplomacy.

Good Luck!

It was probably one of those a-holes who rated SH a '1', trying to spread dislike of the game by selling faulty copies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Tomyrgon wrote:
Hmm... I must say that I dont believe a word you are saying.
I mean come on, that story just seems so made up. Theres a million pictures of the minis and they are all different, so after all this time, assembling and playing you havent noticed that you are missing half of them until now? plz.

You want duplicates from GW for free or what? gulp

1: NO, I do not want duplicates for free;

2: Never played SH before, never heard of it before my nephew bought it from amazon as new;

3 I do not care if you believe me or not. I AM NOT IN THE HABIT OF LYING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Randy13 wrote:
Pear Annoyed wrote:

Good Luck!

It was probably one of those a-holes who rated SH a '1', trying to spread dislike of the game by selling faulty copies

How wrong you are about the rating ! I rated it quite high and I was not the one who bought the game....it is not mine.

I was actually enjoying playing with what I thought was the correct number of SM. It just shows that one can play a mission with 5 SM if it is your lucky day !

To be frank, I find some of the comments here extremely rude. Why not try and be less rude and less accusative ? Maybe, that is the way you were bought up, that is not the way I was....thank God !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Randy13 wrote:
Pear Annoyed wrote:

Good Luck!

How wrong you are about the rating ! I rated it quite high and I was not the one who bought the game....it is not mine.

I was actually enjoying playing with what I thought was the correct number of SM. It just shows that one can play a mission with 5 SM if it is your lucky day !

To be frank, I find some of the comments here extremely rude. Why not try and be less rude and less accusative ? Maybe, that is the way you were bought up, that is not the way I was....thank God !

Er... read that post again. He didn't mean you were the ahole who rated it a one - he meant whoever sold it to you (under the assumption that you had bought it from an Amazon seller rather than buying as new).

As for playing with 5 marines - Mission 1 and Mission 2 only use five marines, so as you were playing those missions then that was right (although you may not have been using the right weapons). The mission book tells you exactly which marines to use each time (guess you haven't read that) and after mission 2 you will DEFINITELY need all 12 marines (except for mission 12), no matter how good a day you are having.

You really need to take these issues up with the seller as really this is becoming a farce with the number of problems you have had with your purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.