Popular Tags: [View All]
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if there is an American Civil War wargame which is designed specifically around the campaigning in the eastern half of North Carolina? I'm not looking for a game which covers only individual battles like Bentonville.
(though I have wondered if that battle has ever been covered in any other game besides Across Five Aprils)

I am looking for a game which covers the entire length of the war and would cover things like the battles fought around the small cities and towns on the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds, including the naval units involved. A game which would allow for the recreation of things like Foster's Raid and the fighting for New Bern and Kinston. (Kingston then)

I have been considering trying to design one. I have been researching the potential orders of battle and looking for maps. Would any of you find such a game interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting topic.

The Battle of Bentonville shows up on eBay once in a blue moon.

The exploits of the CSS Albemarle and Hoke's operations in 1864 could make a good game, although a solitaire title might work better.

Cushing's incredible mission to destroy the ironclad could also make a good solitaire minigame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly there are many potential variants that could be used. What if the Confederates had completed the construction of the ironclad CSS Neuse? It could have wreaked havoc in the sounds.
What if the NC govenor had kept even a few of the troops he sent to Virginia for use in the state? Possibly the Union could have lost control of even New Bern.
And the victory conditions could be everything from how many troops are lost on each side to victory points for the loss of Union naval vessels, the destruction of railroad bridges (and track) around Goldsboro and Rocky Mount and the capture of these same cities. The possession of Fort Macon would be important to both sides. Even Fort Fisher would be potential victory points. It became extremely valuable to the south in the late stages of the war. And it's value was directly related to the use of the rail lines which served it.
The game could even have a very interesting naval aspect to it since both sides did have at least some vessels involved. The inhabitants of the area could have built more with just a small amount of additional resources. The North Carolina government had argued extensively for more action in this area. What if the governor had decided to do this. I think this game could have a lot of potential. I just wonder how many gamers would be interested in such a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the market for the game would be pretty small. How would you represent the whole war? There are so many outside forces and events which would effect what's going on in NC...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xlhrider wrote:
Clearly there are many potential variants that could be used. What if the Confederates had completed the construction of the ironclad CSS Neuse? It could have wreaked havoc in the sounds.
What if the NC govenor had kept even a few of the troops he sent to Virginia for use in the state? Possibly the Union could have lost control of even New Bern.

Amazing, I was reading a little about the CSS Neuse, the River Neuse and New Bern on wikipedia yesterday evening - spooky.

In response to the post, yes, I think anything can fly if you get the scale and feel right.

Steve

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
Well, the market for the game would be pretty small. How would you represent the whole war? There are so many outside forces and events which would effect what's going on in NC...

I agree that the potential market would be small. But there are many popular games which have only a small following. Many of the larger monster games are actually played by only a few of those who own them. And there are a large number of gamers who have bought games just to have them, often with no expectation of actually playing them. I think this game could have a larger appeal to those who already have a larger desire to play wargames about the ACW. I'll bet Pete would want a copy! Probably Billyboy. And I'm sure many other veteran grognards would want one just because it is covering a topic that no other game does!

This game would have such a diverse content that it could be interesting simply because it offers things no other Civil War game does. How many Civil War wargames have a naval aspect as a primary component? This game would since so much of the campaigning was dependent on the Union's ability to move troops around in the sounds by ship. A few minor variants could give the South a few vessels as well. Then you have naval combat as a crucial component.

Leader counters and rules could also have a big influence on the popularity of the game. There were a number of dynamic leaders in the campaign and others which almost (and could have) played a role. Certainly those of us who enjoy wargames about the ACW understand the tremedous importance leadership played in the overall conflict.

And as for the outside influences, the primary design would offer the historical actions as a foundation. To put it another way. All outside events would follow the actual historical path. For example, Sherman would arrive in the play area at the same time he historically did. Any variants would be minimal. A few extra ships, a couple extra brigades, perhaps a command change, etc. These could be applied to either or both sides!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.