Hide
11 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just got the game; I seem to be missing some pieces... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Barnett
msg tools
Hi, this is my first post here. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I didn't see anything that looked better, so...sorry if this is the wrong one.

Anyways, I got Descent: Journeys in the Dark today. I'm setting up a game right now to do a test run, before playing with friends. Well, I'm doing the first quest, "Into the Dark" I believe is the name. Perhaps I missed something, but it looks like I need 7 of the regular Beast Men (I believe this is what they are called-it's the weakest monster in the game), as well as 2 Master Manticores (the red version, and I think that's what the game calls them, they are in the 4th zone). Well, I had counted up my figures before looking for the right ones. I have 39 of the tan and 21 of the red, which the rulebook says is correct. However, I only see 1 red Manticore, and 6 tan Beast Men. Did I get a bad copy of the game? Or am I looking at something wrong?

If the numbers look right, and it seems I do not have all the correct pieces, is there an easy way to get copies of them? This is mainly for later quests; normally I'd just use a white Manticore for the missing red one, but what if later I need that white Manticore and two reds?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of red and tan figures you should have received is listed at the front of the rule book.

Note that you don't set up all the figures at once -- only when an area is revealed are the monsters placed on the board. In addition, the rules state that if there are not enough figures you do without, or take them from somewhere else.

On the issue of the red manticores, there are a few quests that require more figures than provided -- just use a tan figure for the extra red one. Each should be noted in the quest guide -- or you can download the list from the FFG website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several missions where you have 2 red manticores, yet there is only one in the box. The mission explicitly states that you should just use a normal one for the master manticore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Barnett
msg tools
Hmm, guess I missed the part where it said to use a tan one instead. Alright, thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you didn't have this insert in the box: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent/descen...
(I didn't), then you probably have the updated quest guide. Which means that it does indeed mention the extra red monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Barnett
msg tools
Yeah, I see it now. Missed it the first time I looked over the quest. Thanks again!

EDIT:Since I already got a topic up here, I'll just use this when I have questions about the rules...like now. So you guys said you don't reveal an area until they get passed the door, right?

Do I reveal everything in that area? For example, on the first quest, area 2 is in a reverse C shape (kind of). They shouldn't be able to see around the corner to the left; do I spawn everything as soon as they open the door, or only the stuff that would be in their line of sight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Royal
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing, when I first got the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter L
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Why are you looking at this??
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you reveal everything in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Barnett
msg tools
Alright, that's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janko Hrasko
Slovakia
Bratislava
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sinfreealex wrote:
I did the same thing, when I first got the game.

Hm I thought he had to spawn only items in LoS, I do it that way. Only LoS, and when hero continue to area I am checking LoS and place another stuff if needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's not according to the rules, but if you think it's more fun that way feel free!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.