Modern Society» Forums » General

Subject: This is what school* should* feel like! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that now that my school days are over I want school to be as dull and as unimaginative as possible. There are many points for this argument. Mostly: Because I suffered in school. Why should not everyone else go trought that same thing?

This game atleast online play seem to fit perfectly with this idea. It's hardly teaching and far more dull than any roll and move game I have played!

I hope I am missing the rules I hope I am missing how the designer seems to think that if todays headlines talk about for example war it's somehow good boost for mitiristic values?....If for nothing else...I would think that I have never heard a table talk about war...that people compare which war was better and talk about how nice it would be if there were more wars!

When normal people talk about wars they usually critizise them they are not everyone is a wargames afterall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. "At least online play"? Have you realized, that gameplay between "live" players at a table might be different and the rules are also not the same?

The point you are talking about here is, that you think, "table talk" about war is different than the cards are suggesting. I think, this depends on the country and group of "table talkers" you accompany.

And I do not think, the first goal of MS is to "teach" in a schoolwise manner. I regard the cards as random events and processes every democratic "leader" has to deal with. You have to follow the "public opinion" to be elected, but you also have your own ideals and opinions you want to support - this dilemma is IMO the theme of the game, not the single items on the cards.

Still looking forward to get my copy and play - maybe I will answer again more profundly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Lapinlahti
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a few quick points here.

Moderns Society (this game), Modern Society Online and Modern Society Education, are three very different games.

Modern Society (MS for short) is the final evolutionary step in the game family. MS Online is based on an early prototype of the game and only shares some basic elements of gameplay (i.e. everybody plays cards at the same time, cards effect the value meter and bring points) but has completely different mechanics regarding the Law cards which changes the game considerably. MS Online is much less tactical, at least in my opinion. I agree with Väinö's point (I think it was you who called...?) that we should make it clear on our web page that the MS Online gameplay is _not_ the same as the card game version.

And on the sublect of scools, MS Education is yet another animal and is diferent from the others. Some of the bigger differences in the Edu version are player roles, political allies and presidential elections. (And of course the teacher's booklet for the topic cards.) As far as our field tests have shown, pupils of ages 14 - 18 have enjoyed playing the MS Edu and the feedback from both pupils and teachers has been exceedingly positive and encouraging. So, unfortunately Modern Society might _not_ keep schools boring, after all

Regarding the cards and their effect on the game, I'm sure Jussi will have a lot to say. But I'll throw in my two cents' worth. Regarding the war cards, the way I see it is that once a nation goes to war, militaristic values do get a boost. Politicians start allocating more money for the war effort, everybody's expected to support the troops, some civil rights may be questioned (loose lips sink ships, etc.), and so forth. But if you play, for example, the Peace Movement card once someone has played a war card during the same season, the Peace Movement gets a big boost. You can picture this as a shift in the way people view the war. First, they support it, giving militaristic values a boost, but over time, the mood changes and demands for peace change the society towards softer values. (Also, you should note that not all war cards have the same effects!)

I hope that clarifies things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.