Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we managed to play our first round of Battlestar. A old friend, now living quite a distance away visited us with his copy. There was some brief discussion if it really should be something new we have to learn or a nice round of RoboRally, but two of us where very persuasive (my argument: my table, my pick! )

I was very keen to try this game out, so I was pushing for it.

The crew (in order):
* Camelorn as Captain Apollo
* Armin as President Gaius Baltar
* Molay as Colone Tie
* Thomas (game owner & teacher) as the Chief
* myself as Admiral Adama

We picked the roles in order and there was some rules to ensure variation in roles. So as Camelorn picked a pilot the other pilots where put aside. But after Tie we forgot to pick them up again, so Apollo was the only pilot. We where in the second round as we noticed it.

Thomas did a good job in explaining the game, after a round of play everyone could keep up. There is not much variation in the cards you draw, so all of us quickly learned how to play them.

After the first jump it took a while until a heavy force of cylons jumped in. We did everything we could (which was not much). Apollo noticed that he won't have a chance to stand against the raiders and as suspicion against him was strong (there was a crisis where only Apollo and I played a card and the result had 3 bad ones... Tie after this tried to put me into the brig which the president averted with lots of cards) he revealed himself.

We jumped out and the second loyalty was dealt. It took us not long to determine that the Chief was the likely candidate. He was put into the brig shortly after this and revealed two.

We where running low on all resources except population. We manged a last jump which brought us to 8. Both Cylons tried to put us into crisis, but did not try to damage the ship, which might have proven more successful, cause fuel and food where very low. In the end we jumped out of heavy cylon forces at -3 loss to population and reached savety. A win for the humans!

Jumps: 1, 3, 2, 2 (no losses), final jump -3 population
Resources in the end: Fuel 2, Food 2, Morale 4, Population 4

My verdict. the game is fast and easy to learn. There is lots of verbal player interaction which we like. I (being the only one who know the whole series - old and new) think the game is very heavy in theme, not only in components an flavor texts, but also in gameplay: it captures the events which happen in the series (new one) very well!

I really want to buy this game now and play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the other guy who really wanted to try this game, although i had some second thoughts about it: All i did read about it to date reminded me of Shadows over Camelot which i do not like at all.

But the game surprised me in every way: It was easy to learn, did not feel like it took 3 hours and was lots of fun.

I now wonder what the best Cylon strategiy is: Reveal early and keep hindering those humans, or stay hidden and cause maximum mayhem in a critical situation... i am not yet decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Camelorn wrote:
I was the other guy who really wanted to try this game, although i had some second thoughts about it: All i did read about it to date reminded me of Shadows over Camelot which i do not like at all.

But the game surprised me in every way: It was easy to learn, did not feel like it took 3 hours and was lots of fun.

I've said this before: I also thought that because it was a lot like Shadows I wouldn't like it. But BSG fixes everything that was wrong with Shadows AND it expertly overlays the BSG theme. Total winner of a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camelorn wrote:

I now wonder what the best Cylon strategiy is: Reveal early and keep hindering those humans, or stay hidden and cause maximum mayhem in a critical situation... i am not yet decided.

I think it depends on the number of players. If there is 4 or 6 I would say hold out and keep the resources in the blue. If it's 3 or 5 I would reveal right before a jump or during a heavy assult to maximize fleet use.

edit: although reavling early can make the game a bore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.