Subject: Good game spotted on high street shocker! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Wakeford
United Kingdom
Nairn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little early for my opticians appointment yesterday I popped into the HMV on Princess Street.

Whilst in high street chain shops I often enjoy torturing myself my taking a look at the board games. However yesterday I was in for a surprise. Proudly displayed beside the Harry Potter Cludo and the X factor boggle was none lest than a stack of 20 or so copies of Pandemic.

On this discovery my chain of thought went roughly like this:

1. ohhh pandemic, cool!
2. errr Pandemic is a great game but why stock this and not Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride?
3. Ahhhhh!

So I cant decide if HMV stocking Pandemic is a shocking example of a corporation attempting to make money on the back of peoples suffering. Or an inspired buyer grasping the opportunity to introduce the high street to a great alternative to Simpsons buckeroo.

I guess I will never know. Still on the balance I think it is a good thing, if this Christmas there are families are gathered together over a game of Pandemic.

Now if you will excuse me the TAMIFLU I ordered on e-bay has arrived.

Originally posted here http://tomsgameshelf.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, it is always good to see high steet shops stocking great games, waterstones have taken to stocking ticket to ride.. I just wish more shops would take the risk as it were. I'm sure some of the lord of the rings games would sell along with dominion and carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd wager a hundred quid that their corporate buyer saw the name "Pandemic" on the distributors' lists a few months ago and thought of the pound signs, given the attention that swine flu's received. It's not that *I* am particularly cynical (though I am, FWIW), it's that I know how cynical *they* are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Broad
United Kingdom
Unspecified
cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Richards right here......which is a shame but like andy saus if it gets families away from the usual Monopoly and cluedo type games then it can only be a good thing eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.