Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've preordered it through a local store here.
I really like games that require the players to think the harder the better.

I really like Shogun gameplay and its theme setting.

I've been reading feudal Japan history too and fascinated by it.

My only wargame is War of the ring. And I quite enjoy it though probably less than Shogun.

The question is will I like AMDT? I read the reviews and all but seems thoroughly confused on how AMDT is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is of similar complexity to war of the ring. It is a lot harder than shogun. I think it captures the history and themes of the era far better than shogun (which is pretty much abstract in that regard). It will be a step up in complexity though. I hope you like it, I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm war of the ring is quite complex in terms of its exception rules. Though or better yet because it is basically a literature put as a boardgame onto the table it captures the story of LotR very well.

So by your description it seems AMDT is Japanases feudal history put as boardgame.

But I've heard people saying the AMDT rules are simple and it helps finding opponent but if by any measure the rules are as complicated as War of the ring then it's absolutely not simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, Colin, I reckon it's a fair bit simpler than Shogun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imago wrote:

Hi Imago . Nice to see fellow countrymen here laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Imago wrote:
Simpler than shogun? Really? I don't think either are particularly complex, but AMDT is a wargame, Shogun is cool, but pretty much a euro, a handful of pages of rules. While AMDT has more pages of rules than it needs
I think (no a criticism, only that you could reduce the number of pages), it still is like a 24 page rule book. It also has quite a few number of mechanics, I'd admit it may be simpler than WotR, but not significantly.

Michael, I say if it isn't too expensive take a punt, you might like it. You have to appreciate my complexity assessments will be biased to wards the everything is light except very heavy wargames, so take that as you will. I trust alpha's opinion to be honest, so perhaps some one else will speak up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I already pre ordered the game it would cost at the maximum about US$79.00 here so it's not that cheap considering it's a paper map.

I have taken a look at a friend manual and been reading it and I have to agree with you it's not simpler than Shogun. In fact the manual is pretty hard to understand. I haven't finished reading it and have got a lot of questions laugh
Maybe it's simpler when you play it(get the hang of it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Colin. Learning Shogun is easy. Mastering it is another story.

Learning AMDT is not easy. Especially if it's just you and you're teaching another who hasn't played.

We played the 10 turn scenario and it took us 4 hours. About 1.5 hours of that was looking up stuff in the book. So having a friend who is patient and understanding will REALLY help. And having one who will also read the rules before you first play it will be best.

I think it is a beautiful game and you'll have to play 2 or 3 times to "learn" it.

Buy some thin plexiglass to cover the map. It will be worth it, trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the michael, if you like the theme, this is a must buy. I love 16th/17thC japanese history. I've played Samurai Lords, Shogun, Ran and Samurai. This is by far the best in terms of the history and the metaphors and struggles of Power.

edit: As for complexity. It isn't as bad the rulebook seems, but there are a few difficulties. If Alpha happens to be in your neck of the woods, get him to teach you, he is smart and good game explainer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am in Jakarta right now but I'm leaving for Melb tomorrow night

I did teach AMDT to Brodi and Agung last saturday, look them up at next meetup. They quite enjoyed it, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol the game is only going to be delivered sometime in December
I'll remember those names .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man or Astroman wrote:

Buy some thin plexiglass to cover the map. It will be worth it, trust me.

I will certainly buy the plexiglass and but will try to see if scanning the map and printing it on a synthetic plastic paper will do too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.