Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Thebes» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A newbie and her two sons are having fun digging for the first time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanting to try out Thebes we borrowed the game from one of our friends. As this time no one was available to teach us I had to wade myself through the rulebook and ask for help from my fellow geeks when I failed to grasp one or two aspects of the research, excavation or exhibition. Not that Thebes is a difficult game but personally I prefer other people teaching us. More fun, quicker and easier.

Finally,by Thursday I felt I can teach my two sons the game. My older son also skimmed through the rules and the cards so he too had quite a good grasp of the game. Knowledge counts!
That was how I was learning to set up the board.

All in all, on Thursday afternoon we equipped ourselves with all the knowledge and equipment we had knowing that along the expeditions we will be able to buy other equipments and also acquire important pieces of knowledge as to where we should try to find the precious artifacts.
Three people took part in the archeological expedition. Myself, A. (12 yrs old) and D. (9 yrs old). We knew and respected each other as fellow archeologists but this time we were competing with each other. The most successful archeologist was to receive further funds for his future expeditions. So there was much at stake and we had to make well informed choices to find the most valuable artifacts. However, when you are an archeologist you know that it is not only your skills and knowledge that decide what you find. Archeologists dig at assigned sites where they can dig and many times they do not find anything else apart from dirt. But archeologists are a special race and they do not give up! Never! They weather the storm and all they can think of are the precious artifacts! Archeologists are passionate about their profession. (Aren't they similar to boardgame geeks? ) My older son badly wanted to dig in Egypt and find Tutanhamon. For my younger son it did not matter where he ended up digging provided he found artifacts and not only dirt.

My elder son applied the tactics to acquire quite a broad range of general knowledge from books, manuscripts and from local people. He also gained special knowledge as well and combining the two and patiently waiting for his time to come he was able to find the two most precious Egyptian artifacts, Tutanhamon and Ramses! He spent 12 weeks digging in Egypt, and although he had to fight with a lot of dirt that was the time when he experienced the greatest success. His hard work in the heat and dust paid off. Here is a moment when A. works hard digging.

My younger son was also careful as to where to go and whose help to ask in his adventurous expedition. He also acquired general knowledge but also went for one conference to learn from his fellow archeologists. He was also a hazardous archeologist but him taking risk paid off; most of the time he was satisfied with what he could find. He liked digging in Palestine and Crete.

I gained general knowledge but more of specialized knowledge. Once I used local rumours about where I can find valuable and rare artifacts. My two colleagues were jelaous that I had advice from local people. At one point I even had the privilege to use a Zeppelin. Wow! That was a cheap and fast way of travel! I liked that! However, I could use it only once. Most of my excavation was done in Greece and Mesopotamia.
We all traveled a great deal and spent various amount of time at the different sites. We all surveyed the sites carefully; checked how many artifacts had been found there earlier. If digging seemed promising we tried. Towards the end of our time we had to make well informed decisions as to where it is good to dig.

Most of the time during our excavation we felt we could gain the travel permission to the city we wanted to go. At times we had to ask the authorities to grant us different research permissions - that was when we exchanged the research cards. We all liked this perk in our work.
When our time ended we could each boast of having the most special knowledge of one area.

I am sure when next time we set out on another expedition we will find even more artifacts and will apply more shrewd tactics to gain the precious fund for the following expedition.
The final score: A:74. D.:67 Mum: 65
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.