Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kenrick,

I'll take a (highly unqualified I might add) crack at your questions.

In regards to the new rules they are just that, new rules. You will find that the majority of rules are exactly the same or only slightly modified, with the big change being the ability to have each force with an activated unit. That being said, everything in AtB is fine as is. If you want to play AtB with the new rules, the only thing you would need from SoS is the new rules, and probably the sheet James has been posting (still in beta form, iirc) that shows specifically what has changed.

SO, in short, the only thing you'll need from SoS is the rulebook, which you can download for free. I'll post links below to the rulebook and the rules change summary for AtB. Hope it helps!

Cheers!
Jacovis

Rules: http://academy-games.com/index.php/rules-a-updates/rule-book...

Link to play AtB with the changes: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ASQ4_JiYSwcBZDV2eDh2dF8yOG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Difference between v1 and v2 rules.
Kenrick,
I agree with Jacob. There is one major modification to the v2 rules that truly effects game play. It actually simplifies it. That is - Both players may have an activated unit at the same time. In other words, instead of a reacting player being able to only react by taking command actions, opp actions, or playing an action card, he may now also activate a unit and take an action with it. That being said, there is no longer a difference between an active player and a reacting one. So, we just got rid of this distiction.

Thats it. That is the "big" change. So either rule set can be used with either game.

As for counters, we added both the red and blue FP values on each unit. In AtB, you sometimes had to divide a red FP value in half, rounding down. In SoS, we just did this for you and printed it on the counter. We decided on this, because is SoS some tanks have some tanks with VERY powerful AP capabilities, that had little or no HE capability. This was not the case in AtB.

Also, in AtB, you had to remember that MGs and mortars perform badly in close combat. In SoS we put a white box under the FP value of these units. Again, no rules changes, just things to make it easier to remember.

So, the counters in AtB can still be mixed and used with SoS counters.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Kenrick,
I agree with Jacob. There is one major modification to the v2 rules that truly effects game play. It actually simplifies it. That is - Both players may have an activated unit at the same time. In other words, instead of a reacting player being able to only react by taking command actions, opp actions, or playing an action card, he may now also activate a unit and take an action with it. That being said, there is no longer a difference between an active player and a reacting one. So, we just got rid of this distiction.

This is a very important rules change and I would recommend playing all games of CoH using these new rules. AFAIK SoS also has tweaks to the group activation rules which make them smoother to use. I would recommend them too. I think these 2 changes have brought Uwe's CoH AP/CP system to a fine polish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.