Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1867 Georgia Reconstruction map is a brutal one. Robert popped by to play a game and I chose that, because it seemed interesting. I like the basic ideas - using cubes to bid for turn order, just three colours, Urbanization being only available action.

However, I didn't understand how brutal the map was. Let's see, round one: Robert wins the turn order auction 7-5, urbanizes a black city in the corner, I build some track for future use, to connect to somewhere I will urbanize later and to connect the initial two cities to make sure I get two-link moves for the next round while Robert makes two 1-link moves.

Second round, Robert wins the turn order auction 9-8, urbanizes another black city up north and completely blocks my track connecting the two initial cities. I lose.

We did play the six rounds that were left and I was able to win the next round by bidding just about all my cubes. Unfortunately, that didn't help one bit and in the end I had 20 shares and on the final round I was barely able to pay all my expenses, while Robert was pulling in ~$15. Final scores 81-24 or so. The game was practically over after Robert's builds on round two.

Robert didn't like the map a bit. I like the ideas, but man, the auction mechanism and the general lack of connections is harsh! If you lose the first two rounds, it's practically over, I guess. Push all your cubes to the second round to make sure you got it, and your opponent will take rounds #3 and #4 and still beat you.

Well, I'll have to try this one again, because the basic idea of the bidding cubes is just so good, but still - this is one hard map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
but man, the auction mechanism and the general lack of connections is harsh!

I *almost* feel bad about this. But then I got over it.

With this bidding mechanism, it's crucial that each player wins one of the first two auctions, or they could be totally locked out, like you were. Of course, what to bid early on is critical, because if it's close in the last few rounds, going first to scoop cubes is going to be the difference, and if you only have gained cubes and none of the starters, you probably won't win most of them...

quick question: you said you had 20 shares? The track only goes to 15 in AoS...

t

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, of course, I had 15 shares and five-link engine, so a total of 20 in expenses. I needed the five-link engine so I could run these highly profitable 3+2 runs.

Bidding all my cubes might've been a good idea on the round two. Of course, Robert could've matched that (I had two cubes more left and he had gained two on the first round)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't found a 2p turn-order / auction mechanism that I like for Age of Steam. This is close, but it isn't it.

For one thing, there are just too many cubes. It should have been considerably more coarsely granular.

That would make getting a cube advantage on your opponent during the game much more important.

Additionally, it didn't seem like there was any incentive against wasting all of your cubes early on.

Almost seemed as if the cubes should have been somehow worth points to you at the end, to entice you to not spend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
NateStraight wrote:
Almost seemed as if the cubes should have been somehow worth points to you at the end, to entice you to not spend them.

This is exactly what I thought when playing this map tonight.

I only have one play in, but I don't see how first player doesn't always win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.