Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview: The Envoy Card comes now with the Black Market Card as a promotional item from BGG. The cards were released between the original Dominion and the Dominion Intrigue games. This review will go over the one Envoy Card, and rate it amongst the fanboys (cough, raises hand) and those who may not be as into the game. To order the cards from BGG, the cards must be ordered one at a time. Which for yourself, is all you need. If you want to get one for you and a friend or some game group buddies, it is a pain in the arse to order multiple sets and may flag your credit card ordering multiple of the same thing.

Gamebits: 10 kingdom cards and 1 blue border "randomizer" card. (Also comes with the Black Market Deck). The rules insert is nothing to scream about being printed on a sheet of paper. Also for holding the cards, the Dominion Intrigue box has 2 “black” slots that can be used to hold both the Envoy and Black Market decks.

Gameplay: Using terms people already know, Envoy (4 cost, draw 5, opponent chooses 1 of 5 to discard), plays like a very powerful smithy (4 cost, draw 3). Envoy will cause the best card out of the 5 to get discarded by another player. Envoy is more meant to farm mediocre cards in hopes of grabbing a set you can use in hand. Smithy will at least allow you to keep all your cards.

Envoy is best played after you have played a +action card. If you grab more action cards, it had better be 2 or more action cards you pick up. Your opponent will most likely discard any action card or +actions card to stop your turn there. The same goes if you use the Envoy as a last action for a turn, you will get your highest treasure card value discarded, as any action cards you pick up will be useless. This is the danger of the card.

Envoy can work well with secret chamber as if you get 4 cards of garbage, it can help you discard all those cards for an extra 4 coinage.

From the opponent's point of view. You are trying to gauge what the player of the Envoy card is trying to accomplish. It is fair to ask the player how many actions they have left, since it can be figured out from what they played. What you choose to discard will be based on how many actions the player of the envoy has left.

If the player of envoy has more actions left. You want to discard the following cards that come up in said order.

+actions cards
attack cards
Gold (3 coin) cards
other action cards.

If the player has no actions left, you are simply trying to discard their highest value treasure card.

Pros and Cons: (Of gameplay, not the purchase)
+ More powerful at the start of the game.
+ Inexpensive way of getting more cards (4 cost)
+ Can help you speed through a deck if you feel you have too much garbage.
- Will get powerful cards discarded if you do not have many in hand.
- Have to order decks one at a time if you want multiple sets for friends.

Personal Spin: Envoy is not really the best deal of cards per cash, at 5 bucks for 22 cards and a rules insert on a piece of paper. If you already have dominion and Dominion Intrigue and are not a huge fanboy of the game, the cards are not necessary. I think it adds a very nice spin of having to lose your best card, at the hands of your opponent, which makes for some fun 2 player games. Use of Envoy gets painful on some higher player games, as you still only work with the person on your left. The Envoy card does add a bit of player interaction to make Dominion less “solitare” in its gameplay.

Edit: Corrected mistype on Smithy cost value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, just one small correction: Smithy only costs 4.
I like how you pointed out the conflict in playing envoy knowing that the best card you reveal will be discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ty much for the heads up. I have corrected my mistype and made it a cost of 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.