Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swerve is an instant that changes the target of a target spell that has a single target. Lapse of Certainty is a white counter-spell whose effect is, any spell countered by it goes on top of the owner's library.

Here is the order of card play.

Player 1 casts a summoning spell
Player 2 plays "Lapse of Certainty" to counter
Player 1 plays "Swerve". (It's redirect below)

There are no other responses, so the spells on the stack will resolve in the reverse order, last played first resolved. Check.

Lapse of Certainty is a spell with a single target, the summoning spell, so it is a valid target for Swerve. Player 1 needs to name another valid target for the Lapse. He names "Swerve".

My reading - this is a valid target, Swerve is on the stack and a valid target for Lapse. When Swerve resolves, Lapse is changed to aim at Swerve. Now it is Lapse's turn to resolve. But Swerve has already resolved, so Lapse has no valid target remaining - it fizzles. Next the summoning spell resolves. Both Swerve and Lapse go to their respective player's graveyards. The summoning takes effect and the critter hits the board.

Alternate reading in dispute agrees on the validity of the target for Swerve, and agrees that the summoning spell will resolve. But thinks the Lapse will take effect on its new target Swerve, and return Swerve to the top of player 1's library instead of player 1's graveyard.

Which is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:
My reading - this is a valid target, Swerve is on the stack and a valid target for Lapse. When Swerve resolves, Lapse is changed to aim at Swerve. Now it is Lapse's turn to resolve. But Swerve has already resolved, so Lapse has no valid target remaining - it fizzles. Next the summoning spell resolves. Both Swerve and Lapse go to their respective player's graveyards. The summoning takes effect and the critter hits the board.

Which is correct?

I think the above is correct. Since the changed Lapse's target is gone, it should fizzle and not send Swerve to the top of the library. But, I'm not a Magic judge and I don't know every detail of the comprehensive rulebook, so I could be wrong. But that's how I'd resolve this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks. My reasoning was, Lapse hadn't actually succeeded in countering Swerve, so the condition in the card's text is not fufilled. So Swerve lands in the graveyard.

No one involved is an official Magic judge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm positive the first is correct.

Stack wrote:
Swerve targeting Lapse of Certainty
Lapse of Certainty targeting Summon
Summon

Swerve resolves (Note that Swerve is still on the stack when the choice of new target is made.)

Stack wrote:
Lapse of Certainty targeting Swerve
Summon

Lapse of Certainty is countered, because its target is illegal. (Fizzles) So it does not do anything.

Stack wrote:
Summon

Summon resolves.

Mabool
Judge.
Rules advisor.

Edit: typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
your first interpretation is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.