Subject: Ingenious – Another Puzzle Game for My Wife to Win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Pelfrey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We have had Ingenious around since last Christmas and to be frank, it really isn’t a game that I would typically play. I tend more towards wargames or miniatures. We recently have had a regular game night with a few other couples, so I am digging out games that either haven’t been played or rarely get played. Ingenious is a good game, as it should be given that it is a Reiner Knizia game.

My wife and I played it last night and I took a thorough beating. I knew better than to ask her to play with me and expect to win, but the only way to get better is to keep working with the best. She is a puzzle fiend and really seems to like the game. My only hope was to try and get her with the scoring. Ingenious counts your lowest number on the score sheet as your final number. It behooves you to have a balanced approach to the game.

We played three games and by the third game I was finally realizing the tactical aspect to the game. It isn’t so much about placement to keep raising your score. You must also think tactically and look for ways to block your opponent from the colors in which they are weak. Scoring is on a scale of 0 to 18. The first game was her 10, me 5. Second was her 12, me 6. I thought that I had her in the third game. We had only a couple of plays left to make and I was ahead 8 to 7. She made a 3 pt play at the end to win the game 10-8.

We’re looking forward to playing with others. With two people, it is difficult to block a color from your opponent. However, we’re thinking that blocks could occur with three or four players. We’re going to try it with the kiddo this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't waste your "ingenious!" moves.

If you can save back a couple of colors scored at the 15-17 point range, you can move them both up to 18 in a single turn. The resulting triple move can be used to shut out a color that your opponent needs to win.

Whoever can coordinate a move in this vein will dominate in a two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.