Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our good friend Mark Buetow posted the following on CSW:

Quote:
I know it's not really in your hands, John, but your comments beg the question:

Why can't GMT skip P500 for what has become a "sure thing" system? I understand the idea behind P500 to ensure support for games that are unknown quantities. I think there are some games and systems that have obviously demonstrated that they are here to stay and not a great risk to put to the front of the queue. Yes, I realize there are other games out their and players are waiting for their choices to appear. But the kind of support that CC has garnered ought to be rewarded by the publisher with equally quick support and speedy delivery. Just sayin' cuz I really want the battlepack and I'm really looking forward to Fighting Formations.

On the other hand, if it's a cash flow thing, it's a cash flow thing. Not much to be done about that, then.

I wrote the following in reply - which is both our current status and should also help you, dear reader, understand the time it has taken so far. Thank you Mark!

Quote:
Dear Mark,

First let me say, your enthusiasm really means so much to me and I know to Chad and Kai. Thank you truly.

Now, let us dwell on the P500 thing. Under no circumstances should you see the time it has taken as related to the P500 system. This is not the case at all. Take your wet noodle and flog the person you must truly blame - me.

I have not commented on it but the time through the summer has been taken with ensuring that a handful of scenarios that really needed attention got that attention. This was hard work by me, Kai, and our play testers. I just could not feel good about giving the go-ahead without these receiving what they needed.

One of them - a scenario I designed - remains very challenging (because it is brittle). In fact, it may be received with some indifference or even dislike! It may be that I must be charged with "loving a situation and rule implementation too much" for my own good and yours as players. I kept it in the mix because it is a highly unusual outlying situation with unusual combinations of troops and command control.

Very happily, the package contains exciting and highly playable contributions from super scenario designers that needed basic testing but did not need to be worked on hammer and tongs (since they had already worked so hard testing their submissions).

Another area that required a lot of "breathing" was the implementation of the American Armored Support. One of the key ideas (note: every battle pack needs a key idea - in my view) was to have the players experience (in CC terms) the "Bocage Busting Doctrine" of the 29th Infantry Division. This doctrine combined infantry, combat engineers and supporting armor into a timed sequence to attack and overcome the strong German bocage defenses.

The breakthrough did not arrive until September. Kai helped by insisting that I had to keep a basic version of the rules as standard (even to the point of saying - It is NOT working John, you had better discard it). Aiiiieee. But Kai was right - I just was not making it work properly. She helped push me to another level and we agreed that the original basic implementation was exactly what we would like and what our testers had already liked. AND I provided OPTIONAL rules (and much better worded ones thanks to Kai's insistence) for the Armor component of the doctrine.

The time has been spent allowing the creation to breathe. And it's wonderfully alive now. I've enjoyed going through everything today all over again. This is the Story of Normandy - and if you find this to be at least somewhat true for you, I will be so pleased.

Once everything is READY, then and only then can we ask for time from our talented supporting artists (Leland Myrick, Lee Brimmecombe-Wood, Rodger MacGowan, Mark Simonitch, not to mention Chad yet again!!) to make the final compositions of the materials.

So - from here on out - it's production-time limited - and will move quickly and accurately on schedule (barring the strange and unexpected).

I hope this helps you place everything in context, and again, Mark (and others), your warm support is so greatly appreciated.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehehe.... Armor in Combat Commander... Chad's probably squirming over this one, even though it's abstract arrrh

Thanks for the updates John, we all truly appreciate the hard work all of you put into these products, and always look forward to them. That being said... where's our Pacific expansion ... ninja

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Armor in Combat Commander

Tee-hee. The way it's done is completely in keeping with the entire game system. No squirming. ninja

Now, regarding the first Battle Pack for CC: Pacific, well, I am comfortable telling you that it will focus on New Guinea, will include special rules, new maps, units, and a special campaign as well.

I had done early research a year or two ago for this battle pack. I've got the resources and now it's time to build the governing special rules for this battle pack. I am going to be very active this month on CCP: New Guinea and will be working with my fabulous scenario designers to begin closing on the definition of what will be in the battle pack.

And THANK YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is my reply to John's answer on CSW:

Quote:
John,

I appreciate your comments and I see you taking mine in the spirit they're meant: as rapid support coupled with excessive impatience!

I do realize that some of the time frame comes from the playtesting and tweaking to get everything as good as it can be. And I do appreciate that greatly. And, when it comes down to it, we all have to admit that it's not like we don't have enough just in the games themselves to keep us busy! Why, my buddy and I still need to work through the Stalingrad campaign game.

So props to you guys and GMT for quality stuff!

Now, having said that, if I'm not storming the beaches of Normandy by New Years Day, I'm comin' for YOU! laugh

By the way, John, I hope you don't have PILLBOXES of all things in New Guinea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

By the way, John, I hope you don't have PILLBOXES of all things in New Guinea!
wow wow wow

Is someone looking over my shoulder as I write the new rules!?!??

Must enter into deep hiding....

ninja ninja ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Hehehe.... Armor in Combat Commander... Chad's probably squirming over this one

Heh. Recall that I long ago added the first bits of metallic monsters to the game. Scenario 11, then again for scenario 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly - the zen master's hand has been involved for so long.

Now - back to writing rules! sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnfoley79 wrote:

Now, regarding the first Battle Pack for CC: Pacific, well, I am comfortable telling you that it will focus on New Guinea, will include special rules, new maps, units, and a special campaign as well.

I had done early research a year or two ago for this battle pack. I've got the resources and now it's time to build the governing special rules for this battle pack. I am going to be very active this month on CCP: New Guinea and will be working with my fabulous scenario designers to begin closing on the definition of what will be in the battle pack.

WOW! Awesome! Exciting! Yaye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, John, if I make it out to GMT East in March....can I count on you as an opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cindy, of course, it will be my pleasure to play CC with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
What!? Where is GMT East? Is there a GMT Central? A GMT Illinois? angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT East is in White Plains, NY. This year it will be held March 26-28. I happen to be going to visit a friend that week - how convenient!

I WISH there was a GMT Central!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What!? Where is GMT East? Is there a GMT Central? A GMT Illinois?

GMT East basically is able to happen because (a) Allan Rothberg and David Fox have arranged for the hotel and conference center in White Plains and (b) The Cheesecake Factory is across the street - enough of an inducement that Andy Lewis will come from Delaware with a full van-load of inventory and preside over a great convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmmmmm.....cheesecake.... :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder whether we can finagle the word "cheesecake" into a CC scenario title?

devil devil devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnfoley79 wrote:
I wonder whether we can finagle the word "cheesecake" into a CC scenario title?

devil devil devil

Well one could argue that Fort Eben Emael looks like a slice of cheese cake... do a scenario on that with scenario title - "Taking a bite of Cheesecake"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the German name might be easier to use - Käsekuchen. Or even the Polish - sernik. They are made with quark (twaróg) cheese. Of course, sometimes it's made with schichtkäse :p

Lächeln und sagen "Käsekuchen"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danke!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
What!? Where is GMT East? Is there a GMT Central? A GMT Illinois? angry

Indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.