Subject: Boardgames in the mainstream rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice little article from one of the major UK broadsheet's columnists. A fair reflection of how boardgames are understood and thought of by the mainstream.

She's a pretty fair writer, I read her column every week. And if you read her other columns you'll see she's also pretty nerdy herself; it's not about dissing geeks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/10/lucy-mang...

The initiative sounds great, shame about the execution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The only hope – and among game-haters this is almost literally true – is that Hasbro is secretly working for the government to prepare the nation for Armageddon.

LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if Hasbro would be sending out great family games like Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, El Grande....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
Now if Hasbro would be sending out great family games like Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, El Grande....

So are you saying you want Hasbro to buy out the rights to these games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
A nice little article from one of the major UK broadsheet's columnists. A fair reflection of how boardgames are understood and thought of by the mainstream.

She's a pretty fair writer, I read her column every week. And if you read her other columns you'll see she's also pretty nerdy herself; it's not about dissing geeks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/10/lucy-mang...

The initiative sounds great, shame about the execution.

I'll take your word that she's nerdy.
But she talks like someone who has no imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she is not a gamer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
she is not a gamer

No, she definitely isn't, she's a book nerd. All she does is read books.

She's the sort of person who, if they got a boyfriend who was into board games, would end up playing them and enjoying them. She's the natural constituency of people that the hobby needs to reach if it's to expand beyond its core. But that article shows that the hobby is not on the brink of breaking through to a wider audience, it's still hidden very deep in its niche.

I'm thinking of non-confrontational Eurogames there btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was impressed with the bit below:

Lucy Mangan wrote:
I will for ever look at a Monopoly board and see not a harmlessly entertaining pastime but the voluntary setting up of a microcosmic model of the futility of life. You might as well ask me to sit down and join you in a game of existential despair.

...until I tried to buy a copy of Existential Despair and found it's not even been published yet. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.