Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, despite my confidence that cards designed to be written on would be safe to write on, after one single game one of my Ravenwood Elves is damaged... The marker ink (a proper erasable whiteboard pen) wouldn't erase easily from the circle, and when it did it has worn away the surface.

On closer study, it's very visible that some of the packs have a far glossier finish than others. The Orcs my opponent was using were glossy, and the ink erased even by accident while moving the cards! So now I have to consider the options mentioned here to protect them!

I suppose I should consider it fortunate that I got all my packs from trades or second hand. It was, however, a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use MtG sized sleeves and you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have a load of those, I'm considering either that or a strip of tape. I guess the sleeves will be best - they shouldn't interfere too much with the game, and the decks do seem a very loose fit in the boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought - this also doesn't solve the problem for the colossal creatures. As I have the dragon & hydra uncut promotion cards (as well as the 2-card dragon, hydra & T-rex), that remains a problem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess the 2-part creatures done that way no longer fold over to fit back in the box? For a neat portable wargame this is becoming a bit expansive. Mind you, I bought the terrain pack...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
On closer study, it's very visible that some of the packs have a far glossier finish than others. The Orcs my opponent was using were glossy, and the ink erased even by accident while moving the cards! So now I have to consider the options mentioned here to protect them!

I guess there have been different print runs, with different card finish. I have 8 packs so far: Men starter and reinforcements, Orcs starter and reinforcements, Undead starter and reinforcements, and Mercenaries starter and reinforcements. Only the Mercenaries have the gloss finish (and slightly different card corners), and I sleeved them anyway, for uniformity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wutai Leviathan wrote:
You'll need a different storage system once you sleeve the cards anyways.
Yeah, I know. And I have the terrain anyway. It was all so compact when I started...

Still... bloody good game. Just not quite as neat as I thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wulf,

First off, I'm sorry to hear about the card damage. We improved the surface quality starting with the Umenzi, although if you play regularly we still recommend using sleeves or clear tape because eventually any surface will wear. The older decks show wear more quickly.

It does seem that the Elves of Ravenwood is more prone to dry-erase issues than other factions, leading me to suspect that the coating was not applied evenly by the printer. If you send me your damaged cards (to 26 Chesham Rd., Brookline, MA 02445) I'll replace the deck(s).

Regards,
Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
If you send me your damaged cards (to 26 Chesham Rd., Brookline, MA 02445) I'll replace the deck(s).
That's very kind of you, but replacing a single card isn't necessary. It was only 1 damaged, and it's only the surface layer - it lost all coating, but is still complete & almost the right colour. I have loads of card sleeves for future use (albeit they have opaque backs - I'll have to buy the cheaper fully transparent ones to check the stats on the back of the cards!)

The 'chop two sleeves up to sleeve the Hydra' idea works great, and I will be filling in the remainder of the series into my collection. Once I find them anyway - they seem to be very uncommon in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
If you send me your damaged cards (to 26 Chesham Rd., Brookline, MA 02445) I'll replace the deck(s).
That's very kind of you, but replacing a single card isn't necessary. It was only 1 damaged, and it's only the surface layer - it lost all coating, but is still complete & almost the right colour. I have loads of card sleeves for future use (albeit they have opaque backs - I'll have to buy the cheaper fully transparent ones to check the stats on the back of the cards!)

The 'chop two sleeves up to sleeve the Hydra' idea works great, and I will be filling in the remainder of the series into my collection. Once I find them anyway - they seem to be very uncommon in the UK.

The Internet is the way forward, big fella. I've never seen it in a shop but IGUK, Gameslore and Boardgameguru - to name a few - stock the range and all my purchases have been from those 3. That said, I've not yet seen anywhere online in the UK that stocks BG:HW which is a bit of a nuisance as I'm thinking of buying it in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The annoying thing is, I can get a pack from the US, with postage, for the same price as I can in the UK. Postage being half the total. I will, eventually, fill in the gaps, but for now I have both packs of Elves, Orcs, Undead (an extra starter pack) and Monsters, plus the High Elf starter and Lizardmen reinforcements - which isn't a bad selection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, that's a nice set of armies. I think (if I were you) my next Battleground purchase would be Battleground: Kingdoms rather than a new faction.

Unless you're a history buff, of course...then it's time for the Punic Wars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Agreed, that's a nice set of armies. I think (if I were you) my next Battleground purchase would be Battleground: Kingdoms rather than a new faction.

Unless you're a history buff, of course...then it's time for the Punic Wars!
It's likely my next purchase will be whatever's cheap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I demo's quite some games. And I also had some wear after a couple of games. I put them all in sleeves now. One of the problems this brings is that the cards don't fit perfectly in the box anymore, since the sleeves increase the size a bit.

Can't wait to get my hands on Kingdoms! =)

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kingdoms is nice but I would propose the terrain pack to be more indispensable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Kingdoms is nice but I would propose the terrain pack to be more indispensable.
I have 2 of those

Sadly, I cut out the big hill from the wrong side (the red dot is only on one sheet, and once you chop it all up it gets hard to keep track...), but it's not at all bad, and I'll be careful with the other one!

Oh, and I found a local retailer who carries them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.